What's new

Interesting Locke stats

Weezur

Since I want to talk about anything but the game last night, here are some really interesting stats from Locke about the best and worst 2 and 3 man groups.
Guess who's name is at the top of the 'best of' list and who is the bottom of the 'worst of' list.

3 BEST 2 MAN GROUPS
1. Alec Burks/Paul Millsap
2. Alec Burks/Al Jefferson
3. Gordon Hayward/Jamaal Tinsley

3 WORST 2 MAN GROUPS
1. Earl Watson/ Gordon Hayward
2. Earl Watson/Derrick Favors
3. Alec Burks/Derrick Favors

3 BEST OFFENSIVE 2 MAN GROUPS
1. Alec Burks/Al Jefferson
2. Alec Burks/Paul Millsap
3. Alec Burks/Randy Foye
Note: This is really one 5 man group that has played well with Gordon Hayward as well.

3 WORST OFFENSIVE 2 MAN GROUPS
1. Alec Burks/Derrick Favors
2. Earl Watson/Derrick Favors
3. Earl Watson/Gordon Hayward

3 BEST DEFENSVIE 2 MAN GROUPS
1. Alec Burks/Paul Millsap
2. DeMarre Carroll/Enes Kanter
3. Jamaal Tinsley/Gordon Hayward

3 WORST DEFENSIVE 2 MAN GROUPS
1. Earl Watson/Al Jefferson
2. Derrick Favors/Al Jefferson
3. Mo Williams/Derrick Favors
4. Randy Foye/Gordon Hayward

Here are a few other notes. Looking at just the top 30 most used 2 man groups all having played at least 300 minutes together might have more of a signal and less noise

BEST OVERALL – Tinsley/Hawyard then Carroll/Kanter then Gordon/Marvin tied with Carroll/Hayward
WORST OVERALL: Watson/Hayward and Watson/Favors
BEST OFFENSE: Tinsley/Hayward then Hayward/Jefferson and Hayward/Milsap
WORST OFFENSE: Watson/Favors and Watson Hayward then Hayward/Favors
BEST DEFENSE: Carroll/Kanter and Tinsley/Hayward then Hayward/Kanter
WORST DEFENSE: Favors/Jefferson then Mo/Foye and Foye/Jefferson

Discuss

Burks does have a small sample size. Good job Dutch, you're smarter than Locke.

TipOff is interesting too.
I know Locke can't outright say that Corbin is a bad coach if he believes it but TipOff today was as close to him saying coach made a bad move as it has been all year.
The bad move was Foye on Harden.

Just listen to Locke talk with DJ and PK and you'll see he's a stupid homer. Talks about how Golden State is the same as Utah in terms of building a team. But then says Golden State has Steph Curry, and that's why they're better. Holy **** Steph Curry wouldn't play if Ty had him.

One of the most solid (and fun to watch) lineups the Jazz ran this year was Burks, Foye, Jefferson, Millsap and Hayward. Too bad they just ran it for a couple games.

One of the most solid (and fun to watch) lineups the Jazz ran this year was Burks, Foye, Jefferson, Millsap and Hayward. Too bad they just ran it for a couple games.

That's lineup #20 on this site: https://www.82games.com/1213/1213UTA2.HTM

They have only run it for 19.6 total minutes all season. But they outscored the opponents by a whopping 26 pts in those 19.6 minutes. (Outscoring your opponent by more than a pt per minute is phenomenal.)

More stupid Locke stats

Perhaps, but I noticed that Watson was mentioned frequently on the "worst" pairings and never on the "best" pairings -- which certainly backs my observations of Watson.

I believe that Watson is the reason Kanter can't get minutes, because Corbin judges Kanter's play by how well the "bench" is doing and Watson drags everyone down.

Locke and his numbers makes me laugh. It's like his idea that you can tell how good someone is going to be by their third year.

Just listen to Locke talk with DJ and PK and you'll see he's a stupid homer. Talks about how Golden State is the same as Utah in terms of building a team. But then says Golden State has Steph Curry, and that's why they're better. Holy **** Steph Curry wouldn't play if Ty had him.

yeah, that was a really frustrating listen. locke's tone is pretty patronising when dealing with anything querying ty's or the front offices' decision-making.