Votes: 51 79.7%

• Total voters

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
Simple question... is he coming back?

I get the feeling he isn't. Locke had a podcast on it this AM. I also think Mike was pretty non-committal... which is not uncommon but it just came in a way that seemed to say "my time here was great but I'll be moving on".

I think the issue imo is that the Lakers can throw out the MLE and so we need to go quite a bit over that to make it work. I get the feeling that makes us queasy with the tax and his health. I think in the end we work a sign and trade and get something back but that he is gone. I don't think we are hard capped unless we accept a player who was signed and traded. So my prediction is the Conley for Kuzma rumors (even though they are just made up by some internet bozo) become a reality. I think Mike goes ring chasing in a market that is more fun. I'd put the odds at 30% that he is back.

He did an interview back in February and acted like he for sure wanted to come back, I believe one of his quotes was "Utah's got me". But in his exit interview after the season he sounded completely different, never said anything about wanting to come back, said he'll have to sit down with his family and make the best decision for them.

I don't think he'll be back, not because the Jazz don't want him or are unwilling to pay him, but because he doesn't want to come back.

I think the Jazz want him back and Mike would love to stay. I even thinks he gives us a little discount to stay, BUT of course money talks and if another team comes throwing a giant offer his way I think he'll accept it and there's nothing wrong with that.

He did an interview back in February and acted like he for sure wanted to come back, I believe one of his quotes was "Utah's got me". But in his exit interview after the season he sounded completely different, never said anything about wanting to come back, said he'll have to sit down with his family and make the best decision for them.

I don't think he'll be back, not because the Jazz don't want him or are unwilling to pay him, but because he doesn't want to come back.
It was kind of like Hayward's comments but way way less awkward... Not sure what he is supposed to say but I agree... it wasn't great.

I predict nope... The trade for Conley never should have happened. The only thing left for this to be a complete and utter failure and really drive home what a **** up it was to trade for him is for Conley to uncharacteristically talk **** about Utah once he's gone.

Anyone listen to Locke's show today? Was supposed to be all about Mikes free agency but I haven't had a chance to listen yet.

Anyone listen to Locke's show today? Was supposed to be all about Mikes free agency but I haven't had a chance to listen yet.
I did... he kinda laid out a struggle... do we commit to him and having two small guards? Does he want to be here or does he have other options. Kinda indicated money is a factor but not the driving determination. He mentioned Kuzma and the Lakers...

If you look at the Lakers cap situation they could use MLE to get him but if they do a Kuzma for Conley deal they can give him a little more and avoid the hard cap. retain Caruso, THT, maybe Schroder... then use mini-mle.

We could then pivot from Bojan and get stuff.

TLDR it wasn't super positive.

I did... he kinda laid out a struggle... do we commit to him and having two small guards? Does he want to be here or does he have other options. Kinda indicated money is a factor but not the driving determination. He mentioned Kuzma and the Lakers...

If you look at the Lakers cap situation they could use MLE to get him but if they do a Kuzma for Conley deal they can give him a little more and avoid the hard cap. retain Caruso, THT, maybe Schroder... then use mini-mle.

Oh wait... if Lakers took a player in a sign and trade they would be hard capped... they could still keep everything except Schroder though.

Let's see....
- Mike will be 34 years old on opening tipoff. He ain't getting any younger
- Has a nagging hamstring injury that won't allow him to play any back to back games or consecutive games in the playoffs
- Undersized on D
- Puts us in the luxary tax

Think this is an easy answer - time to move on. I'd feel differently had we advanced to the WCF... but we didn't. Time for change.

Send Kuzma and Favors to NOP, Mike to LA and we get Ball. Probably impossible cap-wise, and probably too complicated numbers-wise for the paid professionals in the FO to have to calculate, so it would be a non-starter from that alone.

Let's see....
- Mike will be 34 years old on opening tipoff. He ain't getting any younger
- Has a nagging hamstring injury that won't allow him to play any back to back games or consecutive games in the playoffs
- Undersized on D
- Puts us in the luxary tax

Think this is an easy answer - time to move on. I'd feel differently had we advanced to the WCF... but we didn't. Time for change.
I think the real question is will we realistically get anything for Conley and the answer is probably no for the reasons you mentioned. Sunk cost red flags in this acquisition from day 1.

I think the real question is will we realistically get anything for Conley and the answer is probably no for the reasons you mentioned. Sunk cost red flags in this acquisition from day 1.
Yup. Yet another reason to can DL... All we had to do was go out and grab somebody to align with Don's age to build going forward. Nope! Went all in on over the hill 30+ year olds in Bogey and Conley in the same off season. Made no sense.

Kuzma better be going to a third team.
Ehhhh... I don't love what he was a couple years ago but he has improved in meaningful ways on defense. I think sometimes it can be hard to play with Lebron... he's probably a guy that is a little over-rated because of the Lakers shine.

I think he could be flipped to a third team for something maybe more useful.

Well...that's pretty depressing. I'm not a Kuzma guy at all, I just don't think he's that good and I don't think he would move the needle for us at all. I really like Mike, I hope he doesn't make me hate him by going to the Lakers.

Meanwhile Tony Jones basically said why the **** would Utah do that.