What's new

It's Time to Move Sap To The Bench

billyshelby

This is really not a dig at Sap who I love. I also genuinely believe he's a starter in the league. And even though I think the problem is Ty more than anything else, moving Sap to the bench is the best short term move we can make to jumpstart the offense.

1. Sap is struggling, and making him the focus of the second unit is good for us and good for him.
2. Hayward is not capable of being the focus of the second unit as he is now. Hayward/Sap is a great 2nd unit tandem, however, and Sap is by far the best PnR player Hayward can play with.
3. We need the extra defense/rebounding in the 1st unit desperately. We get beat on the wings so routinely that having Favors back there should help.

I don't expect Paul will like this. But at this point, you have to figure he realizes he's hurting himself for his next contract. He needs the numbers and we need the spark. It's just time.

We might as well just move him then. This log jam of bigs is stupid. It helps just in case we have an injury, but thats it. Id rather get something for him. I think he is gone at the end of the year anyways.

We might as well just move him then. This log jam of bigs is stupid. It helps just in case we have an injury, but thats it. Id rather get something for him. I think he is gone at the end of the year anyways.

Yup. One thing this logjam has produced is enough frustration from the players that I see almost zero chance Sap re-signs. So, when you piss so hard in your own pool, you gotta drain it.

But, if you want this thread to proceed down a line of discussion that doesn't involve a trade:
Move those wangs named Al and Randy to the bench. Pair Paul and Gordon in the starting lineup. Increase PnR sets. Improve wing D. Bury the mother **** outta Foye.

Naw, never mind.... What would our offense look like without those wangs?!?!?!?!?!?!

No way we'll ever see Al sitting meaningful minutes on the bench, barring injury.

The fact that this conclusion is so easily reached by so many is the thing I hate most in the world of sports.

What I am most interested in right now is just for this season to end. Im curious to see how this 3 year long fiasco ends. Or will we re-sign both Al and Paul? Man, who knows with this management, anything is possible I guess. All that surrounds this team now is doubt and bad vibes. Im tired all the negativity its creating around here. I cant imagine that it hasnt reached the players either. They all look like they want it to be over with too. I think management sees it differently though. They can be so freaking stubborn.

My prediction for the end game is we either barely make or miss the playoffs. Either way it doesnt matter because we wont make any noise in the playoffs. The vets will get all of that magical playoff experience. The season will end and Millsap will sign else where. Al will be re-signed because we will have no other options. Half of Jazzfanz will quit supporting the team. Marvin opts in, I puke. We re-sign Foye. We trade our two upcoming picks for some stupid vet that we will all hate, because management doesnt want more rookies.. And basically just do this mess all over again with slight improvement because Favors finally gets to start. No attempt by management will be made to do something great.

Thats our reality.

Hack - this is why I am 100% against the Jazz right now. I hope they lose every game until Al and Corbin are gone. But, we will end up 7-10, the Jazz will laude Corbin and Al and we will be stick with this mess for four more years and watch Favors and Burks leave via FA.

I think Millsap can be a starter on almst any low-rank playoff contender. I don't think he is starting-caliber on a team contending for a championship. I have no trouble moving him to the bench in favor of Favors.

I think Millsap can be a starter on almst any low-rank playoff contender. I don't think he is starting-caliber on a team contending for a championship. I have no trouble moving him to the bench in favor of Favors.

Since Al is a "known quantity", would you like to characterize him with respect to playoff and championship contention? How about your feelings regarding his benching?

Listening to one of the radio shows a few weeks ago, they had a weekly chat with the "NBA scout." About the most emphatic thing he said about the team is that the Jazz have to realize that Sap is not a starting PF in this league.

What I am most interested in right now is just for this season to end. Im curious to see how this 3 year long fiasco ends. Or will we re-sign both Al and Paul? Man, who knows with this management, anything is possible I guess. All that surrounds this team now is doubt and bad vibes. Im tired all the negativity its creating around here. I cant imagine that it hasnt reached the players either. They all look like they want it to be over with too. I think management sees it differently though. They can be so freaking stubborn.

My prediction for the end game is we either barely make or miss the playoffs. Either way it doesnt matter because we wont make any noise in the playoffs. The vets will get all of that magical playoff experience. The season will end and Millsap will sign else where. Al will be re-signed because we will have no other options. Half of Jazzfanz will quit supporting the team. Marvin opts in, I puke. We re-sign Foye. We trade our two upcoming picks for some stupid vet that we will all hate, because management doesnt want more rookies.. And basically just do this mess all over again with slight improvement because Favors finally gets to start. No attempt by management will be made to do something great.

Thats our reality.

What really worries me is that our away games appear to be front loaded this year. End of the year schedule looks fairly favorable for them so I see an end-fo-the-year win streak and unwarranted optimism based on that. Hey, we beat the Spurs donchya know?

Listening to one of the radio shows a few weeks ago, they had a weekly chat with the "NBA scout." About the most emphatic thing he said about the team is that the Jazz have to realize that Sap is not a starting PF in this league.

And yet he started for us all last year en route to the playoffs.

I used to believe this, but the argument could be made that a player like Millsap would thrive on a team with better talent and bigger stars (like most players do), thus taking focus and pressure off of him. He's currently a Utah Jazz "star" and there are some expectations that come with that role, not to mention that he's a focal point in the offense (after Al of course, which I'm sure is a thorn in his side) and opposing teams have scouting reports on him.

I could see him succeed on a Lakers, Heat, SPURS, type of teams because of the focus being on the big stars of the team.