What's new

James Holzhauer Jeopardy Genius

Hotdog

Wow. This guy is insane.

https://www.wired.com/story/ken-jennings-james-holzhauer-jeopardy/

How in the world could anyone possibly know as much as he does? Even if you have a perfect memory, how would you find the time to study practically everything?

He hasnt surpassed Ken Jennings total winnings yet, but is on a much faster pace and setting single game records.

I hope they set up a match between him and Ken Jennings. That would be worth tuning in for.

The thing about Jeopardy is that the questions are all mostly pretty easy. Every category they have uses base level knowledge of that category (pretty sure James said he read books in the children's section to prepare for Jeopardy). Then it comes down to how good you are at the puzzle type questions.

If you have a good memory and a large general knowledge base, then you can do very well. The difficulty comes down to your speed on the clicker.

Jennings would demolish him if he used James strategy.

The thing about Jeopardy is that the questions are all mostly pretty easy. Every category they have uses base level knowledge of that category (pretty sure James said he read books in the children's section to prepare for Jeopardy). Then it comes down to how good you are at the puzzle type questions.

If you have a good memory and a large general knowledge base, then you can do very well. The difficulty comes down to your speed on the clicker.

Lol. Wut?

These are children's book questions?

Wow. This guy is insane.

https://www.wired.com/story/ken-jennings-james-holzhauer-jeopardy/

How in the world could anyone possibly know as much as he does? Even if you have a perfect memory, how would you find the time to study practically everything?

He hasnt surpassed Ken Jennings total winnings yet, but is on a much faster pace and setting single game records.

I hope they set up a match between him and Ken Jennings. That would be worth tuning in for.

There's a lot to the brain we don't know. We're either born with it or bump our heads.

By we, I 100% don't mean me (obviously.) I mean certain humans and savants.

Fascinating.

The thought seems so simple. The execution to this level is beyond rare.

If they're taking your thunder, go on the show. Until then, he's pretty damn impressive.

The thought seems so simple. The execution to this level is beyond rare.

If they're taking your thunder, go on the show. Until then, he's pretty damn impressive.
I'm not saying it's easy, but being good on Jeopardy is less about IQ and more about memory and clicker speed.

Obviously most adults go through life and become specialized and forget the general liberal arts iberal knowledge base.

A lot of answers (especially composers and artist) on Jeopardy get repeated as well. I'm a lifetime watcher and I can guess some answers to questions just based off my memory even though I have no actual knowledge of ever knowing or thinking about the answer.

this guy seems like he was born to be on the show - lighting fast recall, clicker speed (yes, that is critical, you can't click in until the question is completely read aloud) and a risk taker.

Dude, it's what James himself said lmao

Thats what the genius would say if he were humble and also doesnt quite understand how different his brain is from everyone else.

You can be the best clicker ever and it wouldnt mean **** if you couldnt answer the questions correctly. It would just mean you would lose faster. There is a reason he is cicking before someone else, it isnt because he has faster twitch thumb muscles.

Thats what the genius would say if he were humble and also doesnt quite understand how different his brain is from everyone else.

You can be the best clicker ever and it wouldnt mean **** if you couldnt answer the questions correctly. It would just mean you would lose faster. There is a reason he is cicking before someone else, it isnt because he has faster twitch thumb muscles.
His genius lies in his ability to calculate probabilities for his double Jeopardy bets.

Everything else is just memory, having a wide general knowledge base, clicker speed, and memory recall. It's not being a genius.

yep, clicker speed is very important - a friend of my daughter's was on some years back when they were doing one of their "College Editions" and she did OK but she said she definitely would have done better if she was better at buzzing-in

any one here remember a poster from years back - Catzies - or something like that? Her little image was a "Hello Kitty" character - anyhow, I think she was on Jeopardy at some point when she was posting here. I think I even watched the episode.

I'm not saying it's easy, but being good on Jeopardy is less about IQ and more about memory and clicker speed.

Obviously most adults go through life and become specialized and forget the general liberal arts iberal knowledge base.

A lot of answers (especially composers and artist) on Jeopardy get repeated as well. I'm a lifetime watcher and I can guess some answers to questions just based off my memory even though I have no actual knowledge of ever knowing or thinking about the answer.
I'm quite certain that the dude has a very high iq

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

His genius lies in his ability to calculate probabilities for his double Jeopardy bets.

Everything else is just memory, having a wide general knowledge base, clicker speed, and memory recall.

And being hella smart

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

They do keep the questions fairly easy in the first round, they want the audience to be jumping out of their seats, yelling the answers to make them feel smart. Part of the reason the show has lasted for 30+ years.
Also prayers to Alex Trebek who was recently diagnosed with late stage pancreatic cancer.