What's new

Jay Bilas: "I Wouldn't Draft Cousins"

David Stern

With the Detroit Pistons contemplating their options for Thursday’s NBA draft, including Kentucky center DeMarcus Cousins, another voice is questioning the 6-foot-11, 290-pounder.

ESPN college basketball analyst Jay Bilas said during a media conference call this afternoon that he wouldn’t pick Cousins.

Bilas respects Cousins’ talent, rating him the sixth-best prospect, and saying, “If it were talent alone, then he would be the first or second pick.”

But make no mistake: If Bilas were an NBA GM, he would let somebody else gamble on him. Cousins “is a good kid, just immature,” Bilas said.

Bilas said NBA front-office types are the guardians of their franchises, and it’s their responsibility to keep away potential negative influences.

https://www.hoopsdaily.com/content/espns-jay-bilas-wouldnt-draft-kentuckys-demarcus-cousins

Wouldn't you think his opinion is more valid than anyone's here (except Ego Orb, of course)?

I would think any Kentucky fan, or someone who watches a lot of Kentucky basketball would probably have a better opinion. Then I would say his opinion is about equal to the more basketball knowledgeable posters.

Amare, Kobe, Lebron, Dwight, Andrew, John Wall, Carmelo, Derick Rose, even Deron Williams aren't exactly guys that I'd call mature.

Mature is Matt Harpring.

If he's a good kid and very talented, another excuse needs to be used other than maturity IMO. Most NBA players are immature, and usually the best ones are the most immature out there.

Amare, Kobe, Lebron, Dwight, Andrew, John Wall, Carmelo, Derick Rose, even Deron Williams aren't exactly guys that I'd call mature.

Mature is Matt Harpring.

If he's a good kid and very talented, another excuse needs to be used other than maturity IMO. Most NBA players are immature, and usually the best ones are the most immature out there.

There are also VERY FEW NBA prospects coming into this league that you can say are mature. VERY FEW. Like you said, they need to come up with a better argument than that. Cousins won't fall to 9 but if he miraculously did and the Jazz didn't draft him then you know there are going to be a lot more than a few disappointed fans.

If Cousins drops all the way to 9 and the Jazz don't draft him then KOC is an idiot. I don't really want to trade up to take a chance on him. But if he falls to 9 we sure as **** better take him.

... another excuse needs to be used other than maturity IMO. Most NBA players are immature, and usually the best ones are the most immature out there.

Well, I spect Bilas was just tryin to be diplomatic and use the epithet of "immaturity" as a euphemism for things like lazy, hot-tempered and big-*** trouble, eh? But if beatin on fans was "big-*** trouble", why would Ron Artest be playin with the Lakers?

Well, I spect Bilas was just tryin to be diplomatic and use the epithet of "immaturity" as a euphemism for things like lazy, hot-tempered and big-*** trouble, eh? But if beatin on fans was "big-*** trouble", why would Ron Artest be playin with the Lakers?

Wasn't Bilas the same guy that called John Wall a good kid of high character? I remember reading or seeing this a few weeks ago.

Is he talking about the same John Wall that was cited for breaking and entering an unoccupied house?

Personally, I'd worry about a player's possible criminal life than "maturity." I understand that breaking and entering is only a misdemeanor, but it's not like the #1 prospect this year is without blemish. And the double standard that Bilas has is pretty sad IMO.

Hot tempered and big *** trouble and uncoachable describes at least 90 percent of the NBA and ALL top players. Kobe and Lebron are the biggest D-bags in the NBA. They don't listen to anyone and constantly yell at their own teammates. They're also the two best players in the NBA.

Being hot tempered isn't necessarily a bad thing either. The main difference between Boozer and Malone is that one was hot tempered and one prefers to cheerlead.

I'm not advocating that the Jazz trade Dwill and the #9 for Cousins. However, he is a must if he falls to #9, which I doubt he drops to. I don't think that his temper or maturity should be deterrents at all either. Personally, I think we should concentrate on the defects and strengths of his game and physical traits.

Last edited:
Just thought i'd post this to see what you guys thought. I'd draft Cousins just because Jay Bilas is usually one of the worst talent evaluators around, at least for the pro level. He's the one that thought Dee Brown would be a longtime player in the NBA.

Just thought i'd post this to see what you guys thought. I'd draft Cousins just because Jay Bilas is usually one of the worst talent evaluators around, at least for the pro level. He's the one that thought Dee Brown would be a longtime player in the NBA.

Didn't he also like Emeka over Dwight? LOL!