What's new

Jazz Defensive rankings since December 17th.

karpasov

Since December 17th 2014 there is a massive change in Jazz defense efficiency. It is easily shown in this simple infographics –

29zpwrc.png

Few notes:
a. Slowest pace in the league actually helps the Jazz
b. The achievements were made despite worst TOV forced in the league. An improvement in that field will be HUGE and make the Jazz scary good defensive team!
c. The schedule was a bit easier. But in most games the opponent's offensive stats were below their averages.
d. Prior to Dec 17th , the Jazz were 29th in Def RTG.
Oh, yes and -
e. Rudy Gobert's MPG over that period climbed from 17.8 to 22.9. Do you think there is a correlation here?

Offensive numbers are also on the rise (including impressive NBA top Points in the paint and 2nd chance points) but I chose to focus on the defensive on this one.

I'm impressed.

Any other insights, thoughts?

[all stats were taken from NBA.com stat center]

Attachments

• JAZZ Defencive Rankings since 171214.jpg
    JAZZ Defencive Rankings since 171214.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 13
Great stuff and nice work. Although, that was highlighted on TV in their last game. Glad to see that it was not all due to Rudy, as his mpg only went up to that 22.9. Hey, mebbe this Quin guy knows how to coach.

Rudy plays a huge part but I have also seen good effort by other players such as Exum and Kanter.

Trey reamins the worst defensive player the Jazz have imo.

Karpasov... for people that haven't learned the new statistics can you post what TOV and RTG mean?

I can only come up with Testicular Ovarian Viscosity and Rhombus Thombus Ghombus.

Since Dec 17 the Jazz have played the Magic, Hornets, Sixers, and Twolves (twice). Maybe the recent schedule has something to do with the defensive improvement.

Since Dec 17 the Jazz have played the Magic, Hornets, Sixers, and Twolves (twice). Maybe the recent schedule has something to do with the defensive improvement.

Schedule and holiday discounting. The reason LHM always scheduled the pre-xmas roadtrip was because a break motivates players while the rest of the league is getting distracted and discouraged. LHM is a salesman he knows what makes people tick. He's still influencing from the grave.

Fun Fact:
During that stretch our DefRtg is better with Rudy on the bench.[On court: 98.1, Off court: 96.7]

I get all the enthusiasm and I'm the same way but the next 8 games will paint us a much clearer picture.