What's new

Jazz move their D-League affiliate renamed *Salt Lake City Stars*

JimLes

https://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/article69835627.html

Larry H. Miller Sports & Entertainment and the NBA Development League announced today that the Idaho Stampede, the NBA D-League team owned and operated by the Utah Jazz, will relocate to Salt Lake City beginning with the 2016-17 season.

The team will be known as the Salt Lake City Stars, paying tribute to its American Basketball Association roots from 1970-76 when the Utah Stars won the league championship in 1971, and to the Utah Starzz, the WNBA team based in Salt Lake City from 1997-2002. A new logo highlighting the navy and gold color scheme of the Utah Jazz with a nod to the community’s basketball history was also unveiled.

They want us to have some basketball to watch after they move the Jazz

I didn't expect them to move the team to SLC, but it seems like the best scenario from a player development perspective. Does this mean they could conduct joint practices? I assume so. It also means they can easily move players back and forth, and that they can take a really good look at a lot of guys. This looks like a very clear commitment to success. I've never bought into the notion that ownership is trying to milk the fanbase for all they can by running the team on the cheap, and I think this move is further proof (though I won't be surprised if some people weighing in saying the opposite).

They want us to have some basketball to watch after they move the Jazz

I'd probably quit watching basketball all around if that was to happen. I already think the league sucks, it's just pride for our hometown professional team what has me watching the games.

Didn't last the first time, why would it this time?
It's a lot closer this time than it was last time, plus they have full control now. Last time they didn't own the team, and Boston was also in on it. I don't think they're doing it to make money. It looks to me like they are doing it for the benefit of the Jazz.

I'd probably quit watching basketball all around if that was to happen. I already think the league sucks, it's just pride for our hometown professional team what has me watching the games.

I doubt Salt Lake has adopted you as tightly as you've adopted it. You could switch allegiances and be just fine.

They should build a 5000 seat arena downtown(Miller Field House?). I think a venue of that size would be successful downtown even without the D-league team. Best case scenario they acquire property close to the Salt Palace so it could be used as an enhancement for conventions. A portion of that empty block on South Temple Across from Vivint would be the perfect spot.

It's a lot closer this time than it was last time, plus they have full control now. Last time they didn't own the team, and Boston was also in on it. I don't think they're doing it to make money. It looks to me like they are doing it for the benefit of the Jazz.
This.
This is all about player development, not the gate.

being married to someone from idaho, i have to wonder how they are taking the loss. how was their attendance? does it suck to lose the team, or is it more of a 'we had a team?' kind of thing?

i wonder what the ticket price will be? their season mirrors our own, and now the fan base is the same, so i doubt that people who are already watching a full season of nba ball will have the time or interest to watch dleague ball, and anyone who likes bball who isn't watching the Jazz will probably be watching college ball. I just can't figure that folks will be attending the games...........at all.

being married to someone from idaho, i have to wonder how they are taking the loss. how was their attendance? does it suck to lose the team, or is it more of a 'we had a team?' kind of thing?

i wonder what the ticket price will be? their season mirrors our own, and now the fan base is the same, so i doubt that people who are already watching a full season of nba ball will have the time or interest to watch dleague ball, and anyone who likes bball who isn't watching the Jazz will probably be watching college ball. I just can't figure that folks will be attending the games...........at all.

Homey is in mourning. The Stamps have been here since 1997. Rusty Larue, Kaniel Dickens, among other played here. Part of the problem here is that the team stunk as it had not made the DLeague playoffs in 7 season. They weren't selling tickets and I had the feeling talking to some guys in their front office that the Jazz sandbagged them a little in providing talent that would be competitive at this level.

I didn't expect them to move the team to SLC, but it seems like the best scenario from a player development perspective. Does this mean they could conduct joint practices? I assume so. It also means they can easily move players back and forth, and that they can take a really good look at a lot of guys. This looks like a very clear commitment to success. I've never bought into the notion that ownership is trying to milk the fanbase for all they can by running the team on the cheap, and I think this move is further proof (though I won't be surprised if some people weighing in saying the opposite).

Also saves time when we need to call up Tibor Pleiss... all that traveling must take its toll.

According to the new website "Season Tickets start as low as $3.25 per ticket."

I mean.. that's cheaper than a cup of coffee...

1280px-Salt_Lake_City_Stars.png

Can you imagine the excitement level of Dennis O Lindsey today? Jazz will probably work out 150 players this summer. Then Lindsey can sign, trade, cut and move players at the end of the Jazz bench AND for an entire D-League team roster.
This might be enough to keep Randy Rigby from retiring (someone will have to drive to the airport to meet all these players).

In all seriousness, this is a smart move. The Millers are committed to the community, this gives them another tool to reach out to the community and to show the community to the world.

Just a few possibilities I was considering...

The Jr. Jazz program can give away all kinds of free Dleague tickets--it makes the kids happy to see a game, and it frees up more tickets to sale for Jazz events. It improves the quality of fan experience for both the kids going to a free game and the patrons paying full price to see a Jazz game.

It is easier to find D-League players willing to go on the Utah Jazz summer road trip.

D-league coaches can be part of the Jazz organization. They can develop and build a following while doing more community events than the Jazz schedule and contracts allow.

This concept will be too much for some of you, but try thinking long term (a perspective mostly lost in this age of smart phones and Netflix). One of the problems facing the Jazz is how NBA perceive SLC. The Jazz, and Dennis O Lindsey often say they have a great story to tell if they can get a guy to listen. It is the pre-judgement that is the obstacle. So why introduce a bunch of fringe NBA players, their families, friends, coaches, former teammates (and their families) to Boise? Why not show case SLC? Admittedly, this small action will not result in Durant signing here on July 1, but in the long run it might mean that some future FA might consider the Jazz because his brother or cousin had a good experience in SLC (think Andrew Wiggins and his brother who came to Jazz camp). Any positive talk about SLC in the cirlces of AAU coaches, basketball players, and their families is better than the possibility of another "You go live in Salt Lake" moment.

Smart strategic move by the jazz.

Can you imagine the excitement level of Dennis O Lindsey today? Jazz will probably work out 150 players this summer. Then Lindsey can sign, trade, cut and move players at the end of the Jazz bench AND for an entire D-League team roster.
This might be enough to keep Randy Rigby from retiring (someone will have to drive to the airport to meet all these players).

In all seriousness, this is a smart move. The Millers are committed to the community, this gives them another tool to reach out to the community and to show the community to the world.

Just a few possibilities I was considering...

The Jr. Jazz program can give away all kinds of free Dleague tickets--it makes the kids happy to see a game, and it frees up more tickets to sale for Jazz events. It improves the quality of fan experience for both the kids going to a free game and the patrons paying full price to see a Jazz game.

It is easier to find D-League players willing to go on the Utah Jazz summer road trip.

D-league coaches can be part of the Jazz organization. They can develop and build a following while doing more community events than the Jazz schedule and contracts allow.

This concept will be too much for some of you, but try thinking long term (a perspective mostly lost in this age of smart phones and Netflix). One of the problems facing the Jazz is how NBA perceive SLC. The Jazz, and Dennis O Lindsey often say they have a great story to tell if they can get a guy to listen. It is the pre-judgement that is the obstacle. So why introduce a bunch of fringe NBA players, their families, friends, coaches, former teammates (and their families) to Boise? Why not show case SLC? Admittedly, this small action will not result in Durant signing here on July 1, but in the long run it might mean that some future FA might consider the Jazz because his brother or cousin had a good experience in SLC (think Andrew Wiggins and his brother who came to Jazz camp). Any positive talk about SLC in the cirlces of AAU coaches, basketball players, and their families is better than the possibility of another "You go live in Salt Lake" moment.

Smart strategic move by the jazz.

This is a good post. Also the Stamps weren't making money the last two years in Boise and for all the reasons listed above why not have them within a 5 minutes drive like OKC, Dallas, the Lakers, Golden State, the Knicks and the Sixers.