What's new

Jazz Sign Jerel McNeal

reignman40

6'3 Guard to a 10-Day Contract ... ?

SALT LAKE CITY (March 27, 2013) – The Utah Jazz announced today that the team has signed guard Jerel McNeal of the NBA Development League’s Bakersfield Jam to a 10-day contract, the NBA’s 30th overall D-League Call-Up of the 2012-13 season and 26th different player called up. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

A 25-year-old two-time NBA D-League All-Star selection, McNeal (6-3, 200, Marquette) has averaged 18.1 points, 3.0 rebounds and 5.5 assists in 44 games (36 starts) in 2012-13 for the Jam, who acquired him in a trade with the Rio Grande Valley Vipers prior to the season. McNeal also tallied 13 points and seven assists for the Prospects team during the 2013 D-League All-Star Game on February 14 as part of NBA All-Star Weekend in Houston. In addition, McNeal was a D-League All-Star selection in 2011 while a member of the Vipers.

Undrafted in 2009, this will mark McNeal’s second career NBA regular-season stint, having previously spent 10 days with the New Orleans Hornets from March 9-19, 2011, although he did not appear in a game. McNeal attended 2012 training camp with the Toronto Raptors but was waived prior to the 2012-13 season, and has also participated in NBA training camps with the Los Angeles Clippers (2009) and Houston Rockets (2010). He has also played with Dexia Mons-Hainaut in Belgium (2009-10) and Sutor Montegranaro of the Italian League (2011-12), in addition to D-League seasons with Rio Grande Valley (2010-11) and Bakersfield (2012-13).

The Chicago native played four seasons at Marquette University (2005-09), averaging 15.3 points, 4.7 rebounds and 3.5 assists during his tenure. McNeal finished his four-year career as Marquette’s all-time leader in scoring (1,985), steals (287) and games played (130). In his senior season (2008-09), McNeal was named an Associated Press Second Team All-American, First Team All-Big East, USBWA Distract 5 Player of the Year and Marquette University’s Most Valuable Player after averaging 19.8 points, 4.5 rebounds, 3.9 assists and 2.03 steals.

McNeal becomes the 10th D-League Call-Up in Jazz history, joining Rusty LaRue (2000-01), Mikki Moore (2003-04), Louis Amundson (2006-07), Sundiata Gaines (2009-10), Othyus Jeffers (2009-10), Marcus Cousin (2010-11), Kyle Weaver (2010-11), Blake Ahearn (2011-12) and Travis Leslie (2012-13).

McNeal, whose first name is pronounced Jah-rell, will wear uniform #23 for the Jazz. Following the move, the Jazz roster now stands at 15 players.

Hate to be a downer, but at 25, if he isn't ready right now he won't stay. I guess it's just another tryout, but isn't that what summer league is for?

Anybody a closet Spurs fan who can tell me if Lindsey did this with the Spurs? Because it is new to the Jazz. Sure we've had callups before, but that was usually due to injury, not tryouts.

Hate to be a downer, but at 25, if he isn't ready right now he won't stay. I guess it's just another tryout, but isn't that what summer league is for?

Anybody a closet Spurs fan who can tell me if Lindsey did this with the Spurs? Because it is new to the Jazz. Sure we've had callups before, but that was usually due to injury, not tryouts.
I like the move. It's clear Watson is done and Tinsley is on his last legs. Giving tryouts to Leslie and McNeal show the Jazz are just trying to find better (and cheaper) options for that 3rd PG slot.

I like the move. It's clear Watson is done and Tinsley is on his last legs. Giving tryouts to Leslie and McNeal show the Jazz are just trying to find better (and cheaper) options for that 3rd PG slot.

Lol. This guy might even be better than Mo, which is not really difficult.

Lol. This guy might even be better than Mo, which is not really difficult.
I'm not giving up on Mo quite yet. I still think he can be an effective guard for Utah. But for that to happen, the Jazz HAVE to get rid of Jefferson and Corbin. I'd like to see Mo and Burks paired together. Burks can penetrate, and Mo would be the kick-out option. Or the same philosophy with Hayward running the offense.

Movement is the key. And the Jazz will NEVER get that with the Corbin/Jefferson offense.

McNeal, whose first name is pronounced Jah-rell, will wear uniform #23 for the Jazz. Following the move, the Jazz roster now stands at 15 players.

Isn't that what the last 10 day guy wore? Dang Kids, ya'll need to branch out a little. Youre not MJ.

NBA ought to restrict the use of #23 to LeBron, Kobe and the next guy who proves he can even be in a converstation with MJ, Kobe and Lebron.

Isn't that what the last 10 day guy wore? Dang Kids, ya'll need to branch out a little. Youre not MJ.

NBA ought to restrict the use of #23 to LeBron, Kobe and the next guy who proves he can even be in a converstation with MJ, Kobe and Lebron.

I laughed.

I'm not giving up on Mo quite yet. I still think he can be an effective guard for Utah. But for that to happen, the Jazz HAVE to get rid of Jefferson and Corbin. I'd like to see Mo and Burks paired together. Burks can penetrate, and Mo would be the kick-out option. Or the same philosophy with Hayward running the offense.

Movement is the key. And the Jazz will NEVER get that with the Corbin/Jefferson offense.

This exactly right. If we had a motion/flex offense, where the pg isn't required to set everything up, but instead we could do entry passes/cutting passes off Hayward, Burks AND Mo, then Mo becomes much more valuable.

With Al standing around and everyone else doing likewise, Mo is awful.

I wouldn't mind seeing Mo and Calderon here next year with a rookie pg and a new coach and no Jefferson.

He is just singned to massage BIG-AL´s foots and legs for 10 days until AL´s personal physiotherapist return from his holidays.