What's new

Jazz won't make playoffs ...

royzzz

according to CNNSI

6. The Mavericks and Jazz will miss the playoffs.
Utah, on the other hand, is playing decently but remains ill-equipped to win out in this war of attrition. The Jazz rank only 24th in points allowed per possession, and the deficit created by their slow rotations leaves just enough of an opening for the rest of the playoff contenders to pass them by. A midseason trade could help rearrange some of Utah's resources, but even a fair deal isn't all that likely to save the Jazz from being nudged out of the postseason by a narrow margin.

Read More: https://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20121227/nba-predictions-2013/#ixzz2GhrV817j

My gut feeling is they do. But just barely. We still have played more road games to this point. It should get a little better as the season goes on. It will probably be just like last year.

I'd still bet the Jazz scrape by and get a 7th or 8th seed, but honestly, it wouldn't be the surprise of the year if they crashed and burnt this season.

I am beginning to agree. Unfortunately, the Jazz are rather loaded with talented players who are flawed, many of who are dumps from other teams. (Al, Favors, Mo, Foye, Marvin, Carroll) All of these players were either given to the Jazz for nothing but a trade exception, signed for tiny contracts, or were traded for equally dumpy players. (ok, Favors was part of a trade for a superstar, but his team and his fans wanted to get rid of him ever since they drafted him.)

Point is that the Jazz are flawed, their players are inconsistent and their 'leader' is of the loosest cannons on the team. While some of these players may be keepers, none of them are the foundation that the team needs to breed consistency. Add to that the fact that even the players that aren't castoffs are inconsistent and you have a completely flawed team which needs to be trimmed and reshaped. I welcome the offseason. That's not to say that I want to tank, I believe that a team always needs to try to win to keep a winning culture intact. The Jazz have shown that they can get other teams picks when they want to, so our pick doesn't matter much.

Is this really surprising?

You can't keep playing the bad players as starters while keeping the good players on the bench.

Think LA would have won all those championships had they benched Shaq, Kobe, Pau Gasol, and Bynum in favor of Luke Walton, Steve Blake, Trevor Ariza, and Mad Dog Madsen? So why should we expect different results when we bench guys like Hayward, Burks, Favors, and Kanter in favor of Raja Bell, Foye, Marvin Williams, Millsap, and Big Al?

Plus, we're the worst coached team in the league. We make the Kings offense look like a well oiled machine. We make the old Nash led Suns defense look like the Spurs when they had the Twin Towers.

Bad rotations, terrible offense, even worse defense, worst coach in the league=chances of making playoffs not too high.

It's that simple.

My gut feeling is they do. But just barely. We still have played more road games to this point. It should get a little better as the season goes on. It will probably be just like last year.

Doubt it. Right now we're the 11th seed. We'd have to pass three teams in order to make it. Who are we going to pass? The Lakers? Doubt it with Nash back and them warming up. Denver? Not happening. Very well-coached and very favorable schedule from here on out. Basically we'd have to pass three of the following four imo: Portland, Minny, Houston and Golden State. I doubt that happens. I highly doubt we pass GS as we're 6.5 games behind and they seem to know what they're doing there which means we'd have to pass the first three and that's too tall a task imo.

Wow .. like I said last year, we really suck at everything, especially sucking.
Thanks ohgee

The East really sucks.

Just for reference sake, if the worst team in the West (Hornets) was in the East they would still be two teams with a worse record with a third only a half game ahead.

Don't tell me that the East is top heavy. The top 3 records in the NBA belong to western conference teams, Clips, OKC and SA.