What's new

KSLSports.com - Malone: Stockton Was ‘Tough As A Pair Of Leather Boots’

B

Ben Anderson

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Karl Malone boasted about his former Utah Jazz teammate John Stockton on the latest episode of the Knuckleheads podcast. On the episode, the former Utah Jazz Hall of Famer discussed his partnership with John Stockton and his own reputation as a dirty player.

The Knucklehead podcast is a running series hosted by former NBA players Quentin Richardson and Darius Miles.

During the more than 100 minute podcast, Malone discussed how he and Stockton operated in Utah for nearly two decades together, and how he approached his role as an enforcer in the NBA.

Malone: Stockton ‘Tough As A Pair Of Leather Boots’​

Stockton and Malone spent 18 seasons together, and both players rarely missed a game. Malone is known as one of the most gifted physical specimens in league history, while Stockton’s grit kept him on the floor as he battled through injuries.

On the episode, Malone described Stockton using a quote from late Jazz coach Jerry Sloan.

“Coach Sloan used to say he was as ‘tough as a pair of leather boots, broken-in leather boots,” Malone recounted. “He was one of the toughest guys I’ve ever been around.”

Malone remembered one specific incident that highlighted Stockton’s toughness. While playing against the Sacramento Kings, the Jazz guard was on the wrong end of a cheap shot from All-Star Chris Webber but didn’t shy away from the game.

Chris Webber’s infamous hit on John Stockton in the playoffs. pic.twitter.com/a40Dy9Gots

— Ben Anderson (@BensHoops) January 20, 2021

“I love Chris Webber but this one time I wanted to kick his [butt],” Malone said. “So we had been wearing them out at home, and Chris Webber started at half court looking for John — On the flip side, I’m going to say good on you Chris for studying the playbook — And we ran that ‘four-up’ he didn’t even care. He hit Stock the sternum with his elbow. I tell you I [darn] near felt it and heard it.”

After the play, Malone went to Sloan on the sideline and asked him not to run the play for fear of Stockton’s wellbeing.

“Stock looked at me and said, ‘No, I’m good,'” Malone said.

Malone Makes Good With Isiah Thomas​

Malone was notorious for his own dirty play throughout his career. Perhaps no incident is more infamous than the Jazz forward’s elbow on Detroit Pistons guard Isiah Thomas that sent the Hall of Famer sprawling and required 40 stitches in his face.

Malone insisted the elbow had nothing to do with Thomas’ play, but with that of his Pistons teammates.

“[Bill] Laimbeer and [Rick] Mahorn, they were borderline dirty,” Malone said.

The night Karl Malone caught Isiah Thomas with an elbow 29 years ago is the closest we ever came to a full on brawl at the Delta Center. #takenote https://t.co/zsy6Lx9e1k pic.twitter.com/5KWghm2k8J

— Jeremiah Jensen (@JJSportsBeat) March 16, 2020

“Isiah Thomas and I have had an unbelievable conversation here the last year,” Malone said. “So you all know how that went down. But it went down because of those other guys that were with him. Every time I played them, [darnit] I just wanted to fight.”

Malone was suspended for the Jazz following game and fined $10,000 for the incident. Thomas missed three games as he recovered from the injury.

You can listen to the entire podcast in the player below. Listener discretion, the episode has language that may not be appropriate for all listeners.

Related Links

Full story from KSLSports.com...