What's new

KSLSports.com - Utah Jazz Quin Snyder Issues Statement On Passing Of Jerry Sloan

B

Ben Anderson

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Current Utah Jazz head coach Quin Snyder issued a statement on the passing of hall of fame coach Jerry Sloan. Sloan coached the Jazz from 1988 to 2011. The legendary coach died Friday at the age of 78. Sloan was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease and Lewy body dementia in 2016.

Quin Snyder Statement on Jerry Sloan

Snyder was named head coach of the Jazz in 2014, becoming just the fifth coach of the team since moving to Utah in 1979.

“Before coming to Utah, I was certainly aware of Coach Sloan and what he meant to the NBA and to the coaching world,” Snyder’s statement read. “But, upon living in Utah, I became acutely aware of just how much he truly meant to the state.”

Quin Snyder issued this statement on the passing of former @UtahJazz head coach Jerry Sloan. pic.twitter.com/HYKHKLOH9e

— KSL Sports (@kslsports) May 22, 2020

“I was honored by the opportunity to follow in Coach Sloan’s giant footsteps, and subsequently humbled by the task of trying to uphold the standards and the success that are synonymous with his legacy.”

Snyder replaced coach Tyrone Corbin after three seasons with the team.

“The clear identity that he established for Jazz Basketball – unselfishness, toughness and the essential importance of Team – has always left a palpable responsibility to strive for in carrying forward.” Snyder said. “He will be missed and mourned by the Jazz family, the NBA and beyond.”

Snyder has a record of 268-206 with the Jazz. Snyder’s 268 wins are third-most in franchise history behind Sloan and Frank Layden. Earlier, the Jazz issued a statement from the franchise and team ownership.

Full Story...