What's new

Lakers-Jazz Trade

FrenchJazzFa

2022 Award Winner
I disagree with that. Team is also about chemistry and collective effort. Memphis is good not because of Ja ( he is a factor plus) but they still good without him ( 21-7 last year when he did not play) and they do not have top talent players, good one like JJJ or Bane but not top 30. But they fight and defend well each game.

YoungJefe

I disagree with that. Team is also about chemistry and collective effort. Memphis is good not because of Ja ( he is a factor plus) but they still good without him ( 21-7 last year when he did not play) and they do not have top talent players, good one like JJJ or Bane but not top 30. But they fight and defend well each game.
Memphis built that chemistry keeping their coach and core together for 3 seasons. I'd be shocked if we have the same level of chemistry with a group of players that has never played together and a rookie head coach.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
Memphis built that chemistry keeping their coach and core together for 3 seasons. I'd be shocked if we have the same level of chemistry with a group of players that has never played together and a rookie head coach.
Ja is also a pretty great leader. If Donovan or Rudy were as good of leaders as Ja I think our chemistry changes.

Jazzmix

I still hope we do a Westbrook trade and get at least one of LA picks. I can't believe that LA front office is really going to continue Westbrook's experiment after it failed so spectacularly. They are just posturing like we did with "we're going to build around Donovan".

Elizah Huge

Respect All, Fear None
Contributor
Zach Lowe brought this up in his latest podcast. If the Lakers let every single player go and traded their 1st next year the most cap space they’d have is 35M or so. That isn’t even enough to get a 30% max player. So you’re banking on someone like Kyrie to go there for less than what he can get somewhere else then you have to fill out the entire rest of the roster with minimums.

Take some ****ing salary back and build an actual team that can compete.

YoungJefe

Zach Lowe brought this up in his latest podcast. If the Lakers let every single player go and traded their 1st next year the most cap space they’d have is 35M or so. That isn’t even enough to get a 30% max player. So you’re banking on someone like Kyrie to go there for less than what he can get somewhere else then you have to fill out the entire rest of the roster with minimums.

There's always the possibility for a S&T

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner

There's always the possibility for a S&T
Which is exactly why they should want some salary back. If they only have Lebron and AD doing a sign and trade is a no go. They should do like Mike, Bogey, Beasley, Gay for 1 pick and a swap… then you sign and trade using Conley/Beasley so you can actually meet the salary demands of Kyrie.

Lakers front office is pretty dumb imo. They are surprisingly shallow so it wouldn’t surprise me if they don’t see the more obvious path to getting Kyrie if that is their end game.

YoungJefe

Which is exactly why they should want some salary back. If they only have Lebron and AD doing a sign and trade is a no go. They should do like Mike, Bogey, Beasley, Gay for 1 pick and a swap… then you sign and trade using Conley/Beasley so you can actually meet the salary demands of Kyrie.

Lakers front office is pretty dumb imo. They are surprisingly shallow so it wouldn’t surprise me if they don’t see the more obvious path to getting Kyrie if that is their end game.
Couldn't they accept Beasley's team option and absorb Kyrie's salary back by just trading him away since they'd be significantly under the cap?

Release the Kraken

It depends on who we keep I guess, will our roster be deeper? Sure. But the top end talent on our roster will be significantly worse than it has been for the past few seasons. Rudy was a top 15 player, Donovan was a top 30 player, and Quinn was one of the best coaches in the league. It's important to have good role players but star talent is what separates teams in the NBA and we went from having two top 30 players to our best player being a fringe top 100 guy.

Outside of Sexton, Lauri, and Vanderbilt we probably won't really have anyone on our roster that has been a consistent NBA rotational player.
True but now these guys will be given the opportunity to become star talent. I think there's a lot of dormant talent out there that just needs that extended opportunity. So win or lose it should be fun to see these guys develop. And when we do win a championship I hope they erect a statue to Danny Ainge.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
Couldn't they accept Beasley's team option and absorb Kyrie's salary back by just trading him away since they'd be significantly under the cap?
If they have 35M in space and he will accept that... then that is all they can offer in a sign and trade too... however if they have $40M in expiring salary they can offer that with a pick and I think Brooklyn would bite. Beasley is particularly attractive for that purpose because if you strike out you can exercise his option.

Also taking some salary means they can hold on to bird rights for Bev and others if they want. Going scorched earth is pretty dumb. You play FA like Miami does... get the player that wants to be there and have something good enough to send back for a sign and trade.