What's new

LeBron's Decision Sent One Man Over The Edge

KM32MVP

https://sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/49898995-87/turpin-suicide-burrus-center.html.csp

Coroner: Ex-Jazz center Turpin commits suicide

Staff and wire reports
July 9, 2010 12:58AM

LEXINGTON, Ky. • Mel Turpin, former Utah Jazz and All-American Kentucky center, committed suicide Thursday, authorities said. He was 49.

Police and the coroner were called to his North Lexington house Thursday afternoon on a personal injury call. They found Turpin dead.

Coroner Gary Ginn says that Turpin had committed suicide, but would not say how. He also would not say whether Turpin left behind a suicide note.

Margaret Burrus, his sister, tearfully told reporters outside her home that her brother was diabetic and trying to keep it under control.

“I didn’t know he was depressed or anything,” she said. “I would have never said that he would have done this.”

Turpin was the youngest sibling among six, Burrus said. Just two are still living.

“We had a big family and it’s now whittling away,” she said.

Burrus said Turpin’s wife had a heart condition and authorities said she was not at home at the time of the death.

Neighbor Amanda McFadden said Turpin always seemed happy.

“He never looked upset. He kept a smile on his face, just a good person,” she said.

The 6-foot-11 Turpin, dubbed “The Big Dipper,” was an All-Southeastern Conference player for the Wildcats from 1980-84. He led Kentucky to the SEC championship in 1984.

The center helped lead the Wildcats to three consecutive regular-season SEC titles. He averaged a career-high 15.2 points per game in 1983-84 and shot 74.5 percent from the field.

Turpin was the sixth player selected in the 1984 NBA Draft that included Michael Jordan, Hakeem Olajuwon, Charles Barkley and John Stockton, but never had the NBA success of those future stars.

Turpin was picked by the Washington Bullets, then traded to the Cleveland Cavaliers. His best season was 1985-86 when he averaged 13.7 points and 7.0 rebounds per game, but he was out of the league four years later.

Turpin played 79 games for the Jazz in the 1987-88 season, averaging 5.9 points and 3.0 rebounds in 12.8 minutes per game.

I posted this on the general board because I didn't see it, thanks to your lame headline.

RIP Dinner Bell Mel, may you find the peace on the other side you didn't find here.

Really really lame headline. I can tell by your responses in this thread that you think you're pretty funny too KM32MVP. More like an ***.

Really really lame headline. I can tell by your responses in this thread that you think you're pretty funny too KM32MVP. More like an ***.

LoL...not so much funny, just find the situation funny when it gets under peoples skin. More then a few need to pick up a tampon I think, don't leave yourself out.

I posted this on the general board because I didn't see it, thanks to your lame headline.

RIP Dinner Bell Mel, may you find the peace on the other side you didn't find here.

Glad I was able to stay undetected and pass under your amazing sleuth-like skills to hid the article. You're welcome btw kitty cat :)

LoL...not so much funny, just find the situation funny when it gets under peoples skin. More then a few need to pick up a tampon I think, don't leave yourself out.

Seriously? You went with the old "tampon" comeback? You reached real deep for that one. And you are funny, don't get me wrong, but from how moronic you are. Making light of someone committing suicide? Really??

Seriously? You went with the old "tampon" comeback? You reached real deep for that one. And you are funny, don't get me wrong, but from how moronic you are. Making light of someone committing suicide? Really??

You're very true... the tampon thing is probably a reach. Judging by how uptight you are you'd most likely have a lot of trouble with that.

Too Soon!

No really- should just delete this thread because it's tasteless and there are already two others out there.

If you dont like the post, feel free to not read it. It may also be advisable to refrain from wasting your time posting in such a tasteless thread.

I read it because I thought it was going to be a thread about a fan destroying his Lebron memorabilia or something.

I do however like your commitment to defending this thread. Props.