What's new

Let’s talk about fours

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
I know it’s a somewhat unpopular opinion, but I think it’s time to move on from Favors. I don’t know that we really even need someone super talented at the four, but rather a specific skill set. I’ve said multiple times that if we had a guy who 1) could reasonably hit open threes 2) play decent D and 3) not be an atrocious rebounder, then that would make our team game a lot stronger than whatever talent the actual player brings (or lacks). Unfortunately, it’s easier to talk about those guys than land them, and there really aren’t any on the FA market. I’d be curious on the attainability of a few guys around the league.

Skal Labissiere:

Rumored they were going to waive him during the season. Very long and 6’11”. Great character from everything I know. Shot ok from deep through 2 years on limited attempts (35.6% 21/59). Good FT shooter. Is in a horrible franchise. Could pan out decent with us.

Aminu:

Not as strong of a rebounder. Really high playoffs 3P%. Great contract. Don’t see Portland having any motivation to move him unless we picked up some of their garbage.

Kelly Olynyk:

This would actually be a really smooth acquisition and great fit. Rumor was that we were high on Olynyk in 2013 before moving up for Burke. He played the 4 this year next to Whiteside. He would bring some nasty and could help complete our “Hayward-collateral big 3.” Imagine putting Crowder, Jerebko, and Olynyk all on the floor in Boston when Hayward plays.

He shot 37.9% from deep on 3.7 attempts this season. He’s a career 37.1% three point shooter. Great passer, averaging 4.2 assists per 36.

Check out his shot chart http://nbasavant.com/player.php?player_id=203482

Like 80% of his threes are above the break (eyeballing).

He signed with Miami last summer and has 2 more years plus a player option. It’s about $11.5M each. Pretty good value contract, so I don’t know what it would take to get him, but Miami is in cap hell and we don’t have much to offer besides an expiring Burks and some minor assets. Maybe we could trade all our second round picks for the next few years if we won’t use them.

Check out this video and imagine him playing next to Gobert, spacing things for Donovan, and throwing passes to everyone else.

Trey Lyles:

JK. He can’t play D or rebound or practice.

Spellman:

If Atlanta needed cap space to sign Favors, this would maybe be a possibility. They don’t have any garbage we could absorb, either.

Joel Bolomboy:

My last resort.

I know a lot of people like Bjelly. I haven’t seen enough of his D. Not a good rebounder.

Tl;dr Onlynyk FTW

I actually agree that it's time to move on from Favors. If we bring him back for one more year and then go after a big free agent next offsesason then I'm absolutely fine with that, but I just don't see him and Rudy as a good long term fit together, especially in the playoffs against elite teams like Houston, G State and possibly the Lakers if Lebron goes there. I'm a huge fan of Olynyk. I love the way he plays and think he would be a perfect fit on this team. He would add toughness and shooting and would give us great spacing on offense. Imagine a starting lineup of Rubio, Mitchell, Ingles, Olynyk and Gobert. I doubt he's attainable but it's fun to think about.

If Favors re-signs, the Jazz will keep the status quo. Allen replaces Stockton on the 15-man. Sefolosha will be released to maintain early cap flexibility, but then re-signed with part of the MLE. Udoh and Jerebko get their options picked up. Done, done and done. Lindsey goes fishing early. Probably buys himself a nice shiny RV with that money from Houston.

If Favors re-signs, the Jazz will keep the status quo. Allen replaces Stockton on the 15-man. Sefolosha will be released to maintain early cap flexibility, but then re-signed with part of the MLE. Udoh and Jerebko get their options picked up. Done, done and done. Lindsey goes fishing early. Probably buys himself a nice shiny RV with that money from Houston.

So, I’m still figuring out how the cap works, but in your scenario would we re-sign Sefolosha to a multi-year deal? If we’re bringing him back, wouldn’t it be better to keep him expiring next year?

What about the rest of the MLE, or are we full up on roster spots?

So, I’m still figuring out how the cap works, but would we sign Sefolosha to a mu
The reason I think the Jazz release Thabo instead of picking up his option is just in case George miraculously decides he wants to play in Salt Lake. Then they would need to clear enough space under the cap to do so. It would take letting all the NG guys go, renouncing the rights to Favors (and likely Exum) and finding a buyer for Burks. That's a very remote possibility, but you keep the door open until George shuts it.

TBH, Thabo really isn't needed. Crowder plays the 3/4. If George re-signs with OKC or goes to LA, Jazz could try to sign Bjelica to an offer sheet at the MLE. If Minny matches, then Jazz could bring back Sefolosha on a 1yr deal. I think there's value to having those three vets on expiring deals. Add those to Burks and the Jazz have up to $24M in expirings to offer a team at the deadline for a veteran.

In any case, you don't want to pick up Thabo's option until you know exactly what you're going to do in free agency. Besides, is he really worth the $5M? Maybe the play is to just offer him the vet minimum if he wants to return to Utah. He's coming off an injury. Will other teams be after him?

If Favs does leave than I think we need to take a hard look at Trevor Ariza. He can guard four positions and can play inside and outside on offense. I think Houston will have its hands full with their big name free agents so Ariza will not be a priority for them.

If Favs does leave than I think we need to take a hard look at Trevor Ariza. He can guard four positions and can play inside and outside on offense. I think Houston will have its hands full with their big name free agents so Ariza will not be a priority for them.

He wants big money, and we already have Sefalosha for small money

Per 100 possessions Jerebko has the same rebound numbers as Olynyk and is just as good of shooter. Plus is a better defender at the 4 position.

And couldnt get off the bench over Favors and Crowder.

KO shots more and career wise is better outside and inside... Jonas had a career year and has to be pretty open to get the shot off. If he continues to shoot 40% and can speed up how release we should just roll with Jonas until we find “the guy” the playmaking, shooting, defensive guy that will make our dreams come true.

KO shots more and career wise is better outside and inside... Jonas had a career year and has to be pretty open to get the shot off. If he continues to shoot 40% and can speed up how release we should just roll with Jonas until we find “the guy” the playmaking, shooting, defensive guy that will make our dreams come true.

This is more my point. I think Olynyk is a better player but he isnt a 4 he is a center. And even more important he doesnt upgrade our roster enough to matter. We might as well play Crowder, Jerebko, Ingles and Sef at that position if we are giving up on favors. But the better plan is try hard to find an upgrade at 4, if we cant just bring back Favors for 1 year. Its mutually beneficial to him and us. He will get more in FA next year assuming he has a reasonable season and stays healthy. We need a solid 4 and backup 5. He is great at that. We have guys that can stretch the court at the 4 spot if needed.

The reason I think the Jazz release Thabo instead of picking up his option is just in case George miraculously decides he wants to play in Salt Lake. Then they would need to clear enough space under the cap to do so. It would take letting all the NG guys go, renouncing the rights to Favors (and likely Exum) and finding a buyer for Burks. That's a very remote possibility, but you keep the door open until George shuts it.

TBH, Thabo really isn't needed. Crowder plays the 3/4. If George re-signs with OKC or goes to LA, Jazz could try to sign Bjelica to an offer sheet at the MLE. If Minny matches, then Jazz could bring back Sefolosha on a 1yr deal. I think there's value to having those three vets on expiring deals. Add those to Burks and the Jazz have up to $24M in expirings to offer a team at the deadline for a veteran.

In any case, you don't want to pick up Thabo's option until you know exactly what you're going to do in free agency. Besides, is he really worth the $5M? Maybe the play is to just offer him the vet minimum if he wants to return to Utah. He's coming off an injury. Will other teams be after him?

Yeah, I see the point that we could probably have Thabo back on a cheaper one year deal if nothing else comes up in FA. Probably a good idea to not pick up his option just to keep options open. I doubt he’d fetch the $5 million plus he’d be making next year in this FA market at his age and coming off of injury.

If we could pick up either Skal or Dragan (the Haitian and/or Croatian Sensation) for cheap I think those are really good low risk options. They are under cheap contracts and probably could be had for not much. They both have potential and maybe we could develop them. Neither of them would need to start but we could develop them and see.

Those are my two development picks. Both of them move very well and can play the 4 or 5. Both of them can shoot.