What's new

Lindsey Comments About Neto

phippsj

Saw this in the SLTrib, when asked if he would look into bringing Neto over:

"More than likely, no," Lindsey said.

The Jazz selected Neto in the second round of last June’s draft, but he is under contract to Lagun Aro GBC in Spain.

Lindsey says the cost involved in getting Neto to Utah this season is not the "prominent issue."

Instead, it’s a case of the Jazz not wanting to raid the Spanish team and lure away "one of their more important players. ... They don’t see themselves as a training ground for the NBA."

I take exception with his statement that "they don't see themselves as a training ground for the NBA". That's fine. I don't either. This is business, not a charity. If he wanted to come back and say that the cost would be too high, that's an argument I get. Club sports in Europe is far different than here. Contracts be bought, traded, etc, team to team and league to league. It's how business is done over there.

I know Lindsey knows how business is done over there. This tells me that they either don't want the cost (fine), don't want to ruffle feathers with Spanish teams (if there is a business argument for this, then fine... perhaps the league is putting that pressure on us), or that they just don't think he's ready for this step (fine).

But to say that we don't want to take a player away from them because he is a star in their league and we don't want them to feel like our training ground? No. If they want to hire someone away from the NBA, let them do it. It's business.

They're not bringing Neto over because it's a better situation for him over there right now. We're all excited about Neto over a few warm performances at summer league. But really, he is in no way guaranteed to be ready for the NBA. For a second round pick, playing (actually playing) overseas for at least a season is better for us--we'll keep an eye on him and see if he's worth bringing over.

To take him from his Spanish team and not play him is bad business, for everyone.

I see your point but it seems that the Jazz have some interest in not burning bridges.

Perhaps Lindsey is trying to foster an ongoing relationship with the spanish league, ensuring that any future picups we get from there have less potential contract problems and competition later on? total guess

I see your point but it seems that the Jazz have some interest in not burning bridges.

This.

Odds are the Jazz will have to work with one of the Spanish league teams in the future and could make future deals really tough if we try and play hardball.

Neto will make his way over eventually, no reason to rush him right now..... We're too busy tanking.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using JazzFanz mobile app

The reason is the same as it was before, namely that they don't want to have the two players as rookies at the same time at the same position. If it were midway through the season and Trey broke his finger, would they talk about having Neto come over? I doubt it. An injury is an injury no matter what time of year it happens, and if Trey only misses five or ten games, it's actually a minor injury at that. You don't damage relationships with international clubs and spend millions buying out a contract, then give him another contract just to get what comes out to be the equivalent of signing a ten day contract guy to a couple of ten day contracts.

It's also an entirely politically correct answer. A good answer for the media and masses.

What if the FO didn't want to make Trey feel like they were creating a situation he may get less minutes or even usurp team authority (true or not.. just talking perception)?

Would it be prudent for Dennis to say that publicly? Of course not. What if they simply don't think they want to win another game or two while Trey is out.. would that be wise to share? Definitely not.

What if they simply don't think they want to win another game or two while Trey is out.. would that be wise to share? Definitely not.
Yeesh, I might just start watching college games. At least they try to win every game regardless of their standing because you get better players the more you win in college, unlike the NBA where the worse you play, the better players you get. Seems backwards to me.

Yeesh, I might just start watching college games. At least they try to win every game regardless of their standing because you get better players the more you win in college, unlike the NBA where the worse you play, the better players you get. Seems backwards to me.
lol.. sad but true.

Difference is the NBA wants/needs a certain amount of parity (more so than is required in college ball). It would also be impossible for the NCAA to dictate where a kid has to go to school. I know all that was obvious, sorry.

I can see it now!

Favors, Kanter, Gobert, Hayward, Burks and Burke on roster with Wiggins/Parker, Neto and a high teens/low 20s pick joining the roster in 2014/15.

Go Jazz!!!

The Spurs became arguably the best franchise of the last 15 years by being patient and finding/developing players overseas. There is precious little to gain in wrestling an unproven second-round pick from his team... and Lindsey clearly intends to stay with the Jazz for a while. I don't think he cares that much about this season or any short-term moves.

lol.. sad but true.

Difference is the NBA wants/needs a certain amount of parity (more so than is required in college ball). It would also be impossible for the NCAA to dictate where a kid has to go to school. I know all that was obvious, sorry.
So you're saying that if a young Turkish player selected a school he wanted to go to the NCAA would have to let him? Gotcha.

I'm sure this has already been asked but it wasn't worth the reading time to find out. Wouldn't leaving him over there mean they ARE the NBA's training ground?