What's new

Lone Peak high school #1 in country

Hartsock

Banned
Lone Peaks boys basketball team is the new max preps #1 team in the country, not sure what they are in ESPN as it hasn't come out yet but they were #6 last week. They play at the City of Palms classic this weekend with 5 the other top 10 teams in the country. If you have a chance you should go see them this year, they are ridiculously good.

They are GREAT. They might be the most talented team I've seen out of Utah.

A few weeks ago they blew out the #1 team from Colorado in this tournament nearby.

They blew out Orem @ Orem and Orem could easily be the #2 team in the state.

That BYU recruiting class is amazing even without Jabari Parker.

Even more impressive is that I believe most if not all those kids are locally grown in Alpine/Highland. Unlike Orem's starting 5 consisting of Utah County all-stars recruited from all over or Alta/Bingham/East/Timpview in Football...

They are GREAT. They might be the most talented team I've seen out of Utah.

A few weeks ago they blew out the #1 team from Colorado in this tournament nearby.

They blew out Orem @ Orem and Orem could easily be the #2 team in the state.

That BYU recruiting class is amazing even without Jabari Parker.

Even more impressive is that I believe most if not all those kids are locally grown in Alpine/Highland. Unlike Orem's starting 5 consisting of Utah County all-stars recruited from all over or Alta/Bingham/East/Timpview in Football...

When I played Timpview was the All star team, had players from all over the county.

When I played Timpview was the All star team, had players from all over the county.

When did you play?

When I played they had some amazing players. I'm not sure if they were all local or not. All I know is that they were impossible to defend with Ashworth, Covey, and Unga just unstoppable in the shotgun spread. People forget, Unga started off his BYU career as a RB who could also pass receive. Ashworth was a deep threat with his size, Covey was super mobile, and Unga could not only run over most defensive linemen but could catch passes out of the backfield. That offense was easily the most explosive offense I've ever seen in Utah High School. Not to mention they had a few Reynolds on the O-line...

The thing with Timpview is that under Wong at least, they didn't (to my knowledge) actively recruit. They got kids from all over the place because they had the best coaching staff in the state. Year after year they would sweep through the region and compete for the state title. Year after year kids from all over would come to not only get scholarships and compete but also escape the burning tire fire known as... Region... Whatever it was. Can't remember. Orem, MV, Timp, Springville, etc were all wrecks. Recently Timp has improved, Orem has improved, Springville I think has improved, Spanish has improved.... But under the new principal and a change in coach things may change. I heard that just this past fall 20 transfers were denied.

It will be interesting to see what Timpview looks like in another year or so once these (lack) of transfers and a new coach really start to take a toll. With the talent Timpview had last year they were going to compete for the title no matter who was coach. They could have had Wong coach or some yahoo from Vernal. They were going to compete.

It will be interesting to see if (anything) will change. This last fall might have been a real eye-opener for some. Seeing teams like Timpview and East being punished for their recruiting/lack of fulfilling paperwork. I know coaches from Bingham and Alta were holding their asses when that original ruling came down on East booting them out of the playoffs.

I personally was hoping for clarification. Either kick both of those teams out this past year or completely rewrite the rulebook. Either enforce the rules or get rid of them altogether. Of course... The spineless UHSAA did neither and the problems will most likely continue.

Of course.... We all know that East doesn't recruit. That poor kid with that heart ailment only went to East because he just loved East High School so much... I'm sure it had nothing to do with West sucking... Or his dad receiving a coaching job at East... Or anything like that... LOL.

This is why Lone Peak High is so impressive. From the genetic pool that they're drawing from and the coach who gets them to play together. To my knowledge, the majority of that team is local. Completely the opposite from most Football powers or Orem's all-star team. When Orem beat Lone Peak last year and won the state title in 4a I believe their entire starting 5 came from outside Orem's boundaries.

That coach doesn't recruit...
Orem just went from a crappy team in 1 year, got a new coach, became the #1 team in the state, and suddenly found themselves a new starting 5 from players all over the valley in just 1 year because of great coaching....

LOL

I graduated in 03 Timpview dominated basketball the years I played.

Wasn't Chris Miles their main player that year? Did they win the championship that year? I can't remember. Timpview has always been pretty decent in hoops. Horrible in Baseball. Dominate in Football.

Mountain View and Provo were the dominate schools we played against. Tai Wesley was a beast.

Wasn't Chris Miles their main player that year? Did they win the championship that year? I can't remember. Timpview has always been pretty decent in hoops. Horrible in Baseball. Dominate in Football.

Mountain View and Provo were the dominate schools we played against. Tai Wesley was a beast.

Tai Wesley AKA the Island Iverson was one of my floormates my freshman year of college. We'd go to the fieldhouse and own the court for like 3 straight hours. He could really pass the ball.

BYU JV baby! The good thing about being ranked #1 in country is that one of those guys is probably a shoo in for McDonald's All-American. I don't think Utah's had one since Garner Meads....who might have been the worst McDonald's All-American of all time. He was awful at BYU.

I really should go to one of their games. Last time I went to a high school game it felt awkward though because these little 16 year old girls were hitting on me and my friends. Maybe I look older now though....that was 3 or 4 years ago.

Tai Wesley AKA the Island Iverson was one of my floormates my freshman year of college. We'd go to the fieldhouse and own the court for like 3 straight hours. He could really pass the ball.

Good natured dude. I like that guy. I like that whole family.

Thriller, where are you getting that LP/Orem info? I don't have any stats or links that say otherwise, but last I heard Lone Peak was the recruiting behemoth. Maybe "recruiting" is too strong of a word -- but certainly the school where the rich families would move to (or buy a second home nearby) simply to get their kid in the program. Chase Hansen (football/basketball) 3 years ago, the two football stars from Jordan last summer...

I played against Tai and Tika a lot, Tai was a dick, Tika was a good dude.

Thriller, where are you getting that LP/Orem info? I don't have any stats or links that say otherwise, but last I heard Lone Peak was the recruiting behemoth. Maybe "recruiting" is too strong of a word -- but certainly the school where the rich families would move to (or buy a second home nearby) simply to get their kid in the program. Chase Hansen (football/basketball) 3 years ago, the two football stars from Jordan last summer...

I don't know much about LP. I just know that their main studs have had bros who played at LP and their families (in general) live in LP boundaries. From what I know the Emergys and Haws are all Alpine/Highland families.

The vast amount of Orem's starting 5 the past 2 years "suddenly" appeared on Orem's roster (and haven't even moved into their boundaries) once Coach Holt was appointed. Anyone familiar with the program knows of the "funny business" going on. You don't go from being a doormat in 4a to #1 in the state in such a short amount of time without doing something. Of course, the UHSAA lets things happen.

See, the stuff with East High Football only occurred because of an issue an Orem parent had with his sons being declared ineligible. His family had moved from Westlake's boundaries to Orem's. After nearly a month of being passed around by the UHSAA, going through all the red tape, being told that everything was in order (and the big banana being on vacation to Montana for 2 weeks) he finally broke once his kids were declared ineligible because they had played a game or two at Westlake. He then reported the player at Timpview and a player at East and threatened to go to the papers. Well, this caused a chain reaction within the UHSAA to rush for damage control. Hence, why "suddenly" at the end of Oct/beginning of Nov the UHSAA "discovered" ineligible players at those 2 schools. And only at those 2 schools... No where else.

It wasn't because those 2 schools were the only ones playing ineligible players in the whole state. It wasn't that the UHSAA had been investigating them for some time. It wasn't that people were out to get rid of some top teams (because... Why weren't Logan and Herriman targeted? They were awesome 4a schools too. Why weren't any of the big whig 5a schools targeted? I'm sure Alta would have loved to see their rivals forfeit games). It was because a parent threatened to go to the papers to report the poly players (who he might have been related to I'm not even sure) who were playing at Timpview and East.

Long story short, the UHSAA is worthless and will only act if parents/coaches threaten to go to the papers. Hence, how they were penalized East and then backtracked once KSL showed all the kids crying and public support was all against the UHSAA. The Timpview principal, who still has it in for Football (the majority of the staff is still Wong's) denied something like 20 transfers this fall and reported an extra game or two with that player playing in it. The truth was, that player actually hadn't played in those 1 or 2 games that they were penalized for. Not that it made any difference in the end other than the Timpview coaches were reminded once again that their principal DOES NOT have their back.

Hence, why it's going to be interesting to see how Timpview's Football program continues without Wong or support from the principal. Also, their OC and former HC, Chad Van Orden, no longer teaches at the school (he retired last year). Rumor has it that he's leaving this year from coaching. Who will fill his shoes???

I'm not sure if LP recruits. I haven't heard much. Nor do I believe they need to. They're a big school and draw from an extremely well to do area full of athletic families.
Orem, most certainly does with Coach Holt (who worked in other leagues prior to becoming the HS coach).
Provo? I don't think Drury ever did. He was just known as the best coach in the state which attracted families like the Wesleys (Should have gone to Mountain View) and Collinsworths (Should ahve gone to Springville)

Provo? I don't think Drury ever did. He was just known as the best coach in the state which attracted families like the Wesleys (Should have gone to Mountain View) and Collinsworths (Should ahve gone to Springville)

The way it worked when I was in the Provo High system in 7th and 8th grade was that Provo would hold summer camps that were basically tryouts for out of area kids and just developmental camps for all of us that were already in the system and he would identify talent that way. There were certainly guys that didn't end up playing at Provo that he wanted; Steffan Zimmerman, Zach Erikson, the Cusik brothers to name a few that were around my years. I don't know that he actively recruited them, but they were at all the camps/bantam events.

The way it worked when I was in the Provo High system in 7th and 8th grade was that Provo would hold summer camps that were basically tryouts for out of area kids and just developmental camps for all of us that were already in the system and he would identify talent that way. There were certainly guys that didn't end up playing at Provo that he wanted; Steffan Zimmerman, Zach Erikson, the Cusik brothers to name a few that were around my years. I don't know that he actively recruited them, but they were at all the camps/bantam events.

STFU, we must be the same age. I played with Stef "7 feet tall, skilled as hell, and hates basketball" Zimmerman and Zac "the biggest douche on planet earth" Erikson on AAU teams and in high school. Small world man.

I was talking to the head coach of Mountain View today and he was telling me that Tai has an 8th grade kid that's supposed to be super big, but he also said he's a stiff.

You're probably talking about Mekeli's kid. I've never seen him ball, but it's a total crap shoot at that age anyway. Tai wasn't very good in 8th grade. Brandon Davies was terrible at that age. They both ended up really good. And that Zimmerman kid previously mentioned looked like he was going to play in the NBA just based on pure physical gifts and skillset. You never know. Shed some of that baby fat, grow a few inches, workout, become comfortable with your body as you get a little older, get some goto post moves, and all the sudden "stiff" is looking pretty good moving around a basketball court.