What's new

Marc Gasol could be our best option...

Who do you see as the Jazz best option at the backup 5?

• Derrick Favors

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Aron Baynes

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Marc Gasol

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Frank Kaminsky

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Mason Plumlee

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meyers Leonard

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Joncolton

Looking at our backup big men options - because Tony Bradley is (to put it politely) still not ready. And with the breadth of centers available - the Jazz can't possibly make the fans suffer through another season of watching sub par backup bigs. And it's not even necessarily our most important position, but it might be our 2nd or 3rd most important thing to address - unless of course Gobert (God forbid) has an injury that takes him off the floor for any length of the season - it would quickly become a vital thing to address. It's always better to try to fix things before they are broken, look for a new job while you have your current job, and have but not need. That being said, we SERiOUSLY need to upgrade the back up big, and we need to do it via free agency. The center position just takes too long to learn for rookies, even if we could get a lottery pick this season (we can't) they still might not be ready to be a part of the rotation for 2 years.

Here is my breakdown of our dirty dozen of options. I've left out centers who I think aren't Jazz DNA players or wouldn't be remotely interested (D. Howard, D. Cousins) and who we can't afford - Andre Drummond, Montrez Harrell - Mavericks, Bulls and Raptors are reportedly interested (not to mention the Clippers).

Free Agents Include:

1. Derrick Favors - 6'9" 29 y.o. 9 ppg, 9.8 rpg, 1.0 blk, 61% FG, 14% 3P, 56% FT. T
he first and most obvious choice. We all miss his personality, his ability to finish at the hoop, his rebounding, shot blocking and overall presence. Will Derrick Favors be another Jazz man to leave and return alla Thurl Bailey, Mo Williams, and Kyle Korver? None of the Jazz returns have gone as well as hoped for. And I think sentiment clouds our judgement as there were real problems with the Favors + Gobert tandem, namely that they couldn't be on the floor at the same time very often. He had some trouble staying healthy (again) last season that's likely to continue as it has every season, not to mention the idea of replacing Gobert with someone who shoots WORSE than he does from the free throw line (56% last season) seems ill advised.

2. Aron Baynes - 6'10" 33 y.o. 11.5 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 0.5 bpg, 48% FG, 35% 3P, 80% FT. the Jazz were mentioned as interested in Baynes last season when it was rumored the Suns might waive him after trading for him. He's a not only a good shooter, but a great screen-assist guy which would be something the Jazz are sorely lacking when Rudy sits down. Not to mention he could come into late games when we need a 3-pointer and be an option, he could also be an option when we need someone to hit free throws down the stretch. Maybe that might motivate Gobert to finally become a 75+% free throw shooter. He also has played with Joe Ingles on the Aussie national team together a few times, so they may have some instant chemistry.

3. Marc Gasol - 6'11" 35 y.o. 7.5 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 0.9 bpg, 43% FG, 39% 3P, 73% FT - His stats might now wow you, but remember he only played about 25 mpg. 39% from 3 is intriguing though as teams have to guard him at the 3, that would open up cutting lanes for Donovan, Conley and Clarkson. And given that Gasol averaged 3.3 apg last season, we know he's a capable passer. And he would have instant chemistry with Mike Conley as they played together for a while with the Grizzlies. One block per game in limited minutes also shows that he's still a capable rim protector, but what jumps out at you is his +/-. He just makes teams better with +10 while he's on the floor. He would be a short-term solution but the Jazz could be handful to defend next year with Gasol, Conley, Mitchell, Clarkson and Bogdanovic on the floor at the same time. The Warriors are reportedly interested in signing him.

4. Serge Ibaka - 7'0" 31 y.o. 15.4 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 0.8 bpg, 51% FG, 39% 3P, 72% FT - He shoots it about as well as Marc Gasol, but has more energy and bounce at a youthful 31 years old. The rumor is Toronto is going to offer him a one-year 28 million dollar deal - if that materializes the Jazz have no shot at all.

5. Tristan Thompson - 13.1 ppg, 10.6 rpg, 51.9 FG% - he's looking for a long-term big deal and Cleveland is likely to give it to him. He'd probably have zero interest in getting left-over minutes from Gobert.

6. Hassan Whiteside - see above, but with Portland.

7. Enes Kanter -
Enes would be interesting. He definitely has offensive skills that are far above Tony Bradley's but I think the Jazz are looking for defense also.4

8. Robin Lopez- 7'0" 32 y.o. 5.7 ppg, 2.8 rpg 49% FG, 33% 3P, 53% FT (last year - career average is 75%) 0.7 bpg. I wanted this guy for years in a Jazz jersey. He's ring chasing and his best shot is still probably in Milwaukee.

9. Frank Kaminsky 7'0" 27 y.o. - 9.7 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 45% FG, 33% 3P, 68% FT, 0.3 bpg. - Frank the Tank was supposed to be better than this. That being said, he contributed almost 10 ppg in only 19 minutes of playing time.

10. Willie Cauley-Stein - speaking of people who were supposed to be better. WCS is a backup center looking for a starting center contract. He shot 0% from 3 last season, and 55% from the line.

11. Mason Plumlee - 6'11" 30 y.o. - 7.2 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 0.6 bpg, 62% FG, 0% 3P, and 53% FT - has really shown his worth in the playoffs this year, grabbing board, setting screens, fouling and bringing energy of the bench. It's not clear how much Denver wants to go over the cap - they have Paul Millsap and Jerami Grant both as free agents already and $105 mil in committed salary. They could bring back all 3, but do you really want to start paying luxury tax penalties for Mason Plumlee?

12. Meyers Leonard - 7'0" 28 y.o. 6.1 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 0.3 bpg, 50% FG, 41% 3p, 64% FT (81% career even hit 94% free throws in 2015 - what's up with all these folks having bad years from the line?) - the advantages of him are he's 28 (so he probably has 2-4 years left of his prime) and he can hit shots, he has playoff experience (in a larger role with Portland, now w Miami) and he comes from good teams with good programs.

Off the top of my head, the top 4 choices would be: Favors, Baynes, Gasol and Leonard. So comparing their 36 minutes stats can be useful. Not that they would ever be expected to average 36 mpg, but it gives you an idea how their stats compare in a same minutes situation given they are likely to get limited minutes playing behind Rudy and possibly a few minutes at the 4 spot. The per 36 min stats:

Favors - 13.3 ppg, 14.5 rpg, 1.3 bpg, 0.9 spg, 2.3 apg, 62% FG, 14% 3P, 56% FT
Baynes - 18.5 ppg, 9.1 rpg, 0.9 bpg, 0.4 spg, 2.6 apg, 48% FG, 35% 3P, 73% FT
Gasol - 10.3 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 1.2 bpg, 1.1 spg, 4.6 apg, 50% FG, 39% 3P, 74% FT.
Leonard - 10.8 ppg, 9.1 rpg, 0.5 bpg, 0.5 spg, 1.9 apg, 50% FG, 41% 3P, 63% FT.

As you can see Gasol is the leader in the most categories 3, he is also in virtual tie in 3P shooting, and Blks per game. Effectively making him the best player in 5 out of 8 categories. Baynes is clearly the best scorer and Favors clearly the best rebounder of the group.

Marc will have some options... I’d be surprised if he landed here.

Marc will have some options... I’d be surprised if he landed here.

Yeah like I mentioned the Warriors are rumored to be interested, and I imagine any team that feels like they are title contenders could use him. Does he want to play with Conley enough for that to factor into his decision making? Are the Jazz planning to run it back with Conley and hopefully a healthy Bogdanovic? Time will tell.

The salary cap determinations will be critical this summer. If teams get some sort of extra buffer from the tax then we can likely use MLE and keep JC... if not we are likely choosing between the two... unless we can unload Ed and TB in some poor sucker.

I'm from Toronto and still live here. Word on the street is that Gasol is done and has next to nothing left. Let's not risk it

I actually think that Favors next to Gobert could be a good option to have defending against the Lakers. They are so dominant on the offensive board. . know it's far from optimal for us on offense but with Conley being much better shooter than Rubio it could maybe work.

The Jazz have surprised me with this type of lineup this year, and if the depth of the lineup can be enhanced, the future is bright!

Not sure Gasol can handle even the leftover minutes from Gobert

You do realize, he played 26 mpg at center for the #1 seed in the East right? I don't think he'd average more than 18 mpg for the Jazz. Probably 10-12 at the 5, and 6-8 with them on the floor together.

You do realize, he played 26 mpg at center for the #1 seed in the East right? I don't think he'd average more than 18 mpg for the Jazz. Probably 10-12 at the 5, and 6-8 with them on the floor together.
Sure, but at some point he is going to get to the age where he cant play anymore and that time might be now. Centers at his weight just dont last much longer past their age 35 season.

Do the Jazz really want Ed Davis Part 2?

Sure, but at some point he is going to get to the age where he cant play anymore and that time might be now. Centers at his weight just dont last much longer past their age 35 season.

Do the Jazz really want Ed Davis Part 2?

Great points. Is it too late for me to switch my vote to Meyers Leonard?

Interesting... would seem a bit premature but maybe him and Pau gonna team up for a final ride. Honestly... unless there was a huge money difference I'd bounce to Spain if I was him.

Pistons will probably decline picking up Thon Makers qualifying offer, making him a free agent. On a minimum deal similar to what they did with Mudiay, I would like to see the Jazz take a flyer on him. He is super skilled with great size but needs an environment that can nurture his skills. He would be a great reclamation project with great upside.