What's new

Marcus Morris - other power forwards.

Joncolton

“[The Clippers] thought they had Marcus Morris in July,” said Wojnarowski. “That’s a player they had great interest with, that they saw who would fit with Paul George and with Kawhi Leonard. So, to see them revisit that is certainly plausible.” Lowe added: “I would expect that package to be out there.”

More Rumors in this Storyline
2 days ago – via Mike Vorkunov @ The Athletic
The market for Morris, according to opposing scouts and execs, is probably a team that believes his addition could help push them further into the playoffs. Morris is likely the only player on the Knicks who could get dealt this season who could get a first-round pick back in return, those sources believe. The Knicks could also ask for a young player with upside. It’s not unanimous, though, that the Knicks would definitely get a first-rounder back for Morris, those scouts and executives say. Drawing a first-round pick is difficult. Last season it was only done by teams willing to take on bad contracts to free up cap space ahead of free agency — something the Knicks were unwilling to do this summer and may not be willing to do now either — and by the Knicks when they traded Porzingis.
4 days ago – via Marc Berman @ New York Post
With the Dec. 15 trade marker approaching — the date players signed in the offseason are first eligible to be traded — Marcus Morris’ trade value is trending upward. The Knicks believe they can garner a late first-round pick for the 30-year-old Morris from a playoff contender if they decide to trade him.
In a mild surprise, Morris is dead-set against being on the move. Remember, Morris had to break a verbal agreement with one of the NBA’s model, playoff-savvy franchises, the Spurs, to sign a one-year, $15 million deal with the moribund Knicks. Sources believed a chance to be close to his North Philly roots was a big factor in not wanting to be in Texas.
Late Wednesday, following the Knicks’ snapping their 10-game skid in San Francisco, Morris was asked point-blank if he has a yen to head to a club with stronger playoff designs. Not a chance, Morris said. “I’m aware of that,” Morris said of the potential of being dealt. “It’s part of the game, but like I said in the beginning, I love being in New York, win, lose or draw. I’m here to try and help turn this thing around. I’m not really looking to get traded, that’s just my personal opinion.

**** This is interesting just because Zach Lowe seems to bring up Marcus Morris as someone who the Jazz should target for a trade. While it seems he may be exactly what we need - outside scoring, defense and rebounding - on paper, I have to think anyone who breaks a verbal agreement with the Spurs, screams at then coach Jeff Hornacek, and picked the Knicks on purpose regardless of their playoff chances because he wanted to be in the Big Apple - might not be the best fit for us.

Other players that might fill in the Jazz 4 spot and be available:

Thaddeus Young - the Bulls are probably looking to move him, he's 31 years old, has 2 years left on his deal (13 mil per season) - 6'8" 42%FG, 34%3P, 4.4 rpg, 1.0 spg, 9.3 ppg. I'm not sure he moves the needle for the Jazz much if at all, also he's a horrible free throw shooter.

LaMarcus Aldridge - briefly considered the best power forward in the NBA, it's possible that the Spurs are looking to do a total rebuild, and if so it's rumored he will be moved. The Spurs have 123 million in committed salary this season, and that's too much to pay not to make the playoffs (especially for a small market team). LA is getting 24 million this season and next season - he's 6'11", 34 years old, and averaging 18.8 ppg, 7 rpg, 1.8 bpg, hitting 34% on 3P% and 81% on free throws.

He seems semi-ideal for what we need (34 years old not being withstanding), but I have no idea how to begin a trade for a 24 million dollar player. The Jazz can't begin to do this deal without moving Conley, Bogdanovic or Gobert. Joe Ingles isn't eligible yet, and even if he was Joe + Dante is only around 21 milion, so you'd still need to throw in 2 of our bench guys, plus S.A. is probably going to want at least 2 2nd rounders or a 1st rounder as well, and that's just way to much.

The more interesting pieces in San Antonio that could shore up the Jazz roster (and hopefully Dennis Lindsey is still friends with folks down there) might include:

Patty Mills - 6'1" 31 yo, 42% FG, 41% 3P, 81% FT, 11.1 ppg. 12M - 0 years on contract.
Marco Bellinelli - 6'5" 34 yo, 51%FG, 50% 3P, 90% FT, 6.8 ppg. 6M - 1 year left.
Jakob Poetl - 7'1" 24 yo, 64% FG, 6.1 rpg, 58% FT, 1.4 bpg, 6 ppg. 4M - 2 years left.

Blake Griffin - is rumored to be on the block, but is paid 34M per season with 3 years left on his deal. Trade conversations with him would have to begin with Gobert + multiple 1st round picks (Pistons won't want Conley). Given that the Jazz defensive emphasis largely begins and ends with Gobert, a trade of this magnitude would mean re-writing what our system is. I don't see that happening. His stats are great though.

Domantas Sabonis - The Pacers were rumored to be shopping him since the season began. The reason why is simple - his contract. He's making 3 mil this year (last year of his rookie contract) and has signed an extension and is owed 18.5, 18.5, 18.5 and 19.4 million over the life of his contract.

The Jazz only need to come up with 3M in salary for this trade, so it could conceivably be done for Tony Bradley + Georges Niang (obviously the Pacers are going to want some picks too). Reportedly, their demands for Sabonis are "high". They've probably only gone up as the season has gone on, as he is a 6'11" 23-year-old averaging 51% FG, 19% 3P (34% career, and 53% behind the arc last season) his attempts from last year up 5x from last season so that may be part of why, 78% FT, 13.5 rpg, 3.8 apg, 0.8 spg, 0.5 bpg, 17.7 ppg.

If I were the Jazz, I'd feel good about betting on Sabonis. I think he'd be a great chemistry fit with Donovan Mitchell as they both come from pro-sports families. Sabonis has gotten better every single year in the league, he is trending upward, he is a proven hard-worker with no signs that won't keep improving. It's going to cost us dearly (any trade for him means forfeiting our first round pick/picks) and the Jazz probably still have heart-burn from the Conley deal.

The other player the Jazz would want to pounce on would be Patty Mills in my opinion. He gives us the high shooting percentage we need, and having played with the Spurs (similar system) all these years - the Jazz system should be a few small adjustments. He should get it fairly quickly, and would provide steady PG play off the bench - giving the Jazz a non-turnover prone, good shooting from the PG position for 48 minutes. Exum for Mills works salary wise, the Jazz may have to throw in a 2nd rounder (or possibly Miye Oni - San Antonio liked him too), however if I am the Jazz I'd keep Oni and Brantley and just look at them as our 2020 draft picks as well, since it's going to take time for whomever else we pick to learn our playbook.

C- Gobert, Davis
PF - Sabonis, O'Neale
SF- Bogdanovic, J. Green
SG- D. Mitchell, J. Ingles, E. Mudiay
PG - M. Conley, P. Mills

That extra shooting, decision making and rebounding, could make the difference between a 1st/2nd round exit or making the WCF. If the Jazz can get to the Final Four, they are legit contenders.

C- Gobert, Davis
PF - Sabonis, O'Neale
SF- Bogdanovic, J. Green
SG- D. Mitchell, J. Ingles, E. Mudiay
PG - M. Conley, P. Mills

That extra shooting, decision making and rebounding, could make the difference between a 1st/2nd round exit or making the WCF. If the Jazz can get to the Final Four, they are legit contenders.

I'm sorry but there's just no way in hell the Jazz have the assets to acquire Patty Mills and Sabonis. Honestly they likely don't even have the assets to get one of them.

How do you plan on getting both Sabonis and Mills while retaining all the guys you retained?

How do you plan on getting both Sabonis and Mills while retaining all the guys you retained?

Word on the street is JZ has some magic beans that people have they eyes on.

Both Exum and Conley will become trade assets next year as expiring contract. But I doubt any teams want them this season. Maybe Conley for Griffin straight up since Griffin has a lengthier contract and fit problem next to Drummond.

And no way on earth we get Sabonis. Pacers is simply a much better managed organization than us all around. They are getting the players that we are supposed to be getting and not overpaying for the players that we are currently overpaying. Imagine what position we would be if DM goes down with a season ending injury. But they still crushed us.

The only scenario I can see is Thaddeus Young. One negative contract for another. The Jazz have no assets!
Yeah to me that's the most realistic and not terrible either. Bobby Portis after that, also a plausible trade scenario that's realistic. To me though, the best option is still Taj Gibson, still playing some really good ball, great defense, upgrades at both the four and the backup five, just no three ball - D. Faves with a little more athleticism IMO.

Kenneth Faried.

I actually like this a lot. He did not look cooked last year. Was pretty damn solid iirc. Good numbers in China this year like you mentioned in another post.

Not sure what the restrictions are monetarily so far as being able to sign him though. Or if we even have a roster spot to do so or would have to dump someone to another team.

But I’m down for this. We need a better backup 5 and more importantly need toughness and leadership.

I actually like this a lot. He did not look cooked last year. Was pretty damn solid iirc. Good numbers in China this year like you mentioned in another post.

Not sure what the restrictions are monetarily so far as being able to sign him though. Or if we even have a roster spot to do so or would have to dump someone to another team.

But I’m down for this. We need a better backup 5 and more importantly need toughness and leadership.

I'm pretty sure he's injured because I can't find a reason why he was released from his Chinese team.

His numbers, while starting for Houston last year, make it really surprising he's not on an NBA roster - I'm surprised Donatas isn't in the NBA either ttytt. There must be either injuries, work ethic, attitude, or something, apparently, I'm missing.

I’m also thinking the Rox or Lakers or Clips sign him. These guys pick and choose where they want to go, generally.

We will be sellers, obviously. Morris and Taj Gibson (maybe Portis) are the only ones you Jazz would want.

Morris said it again last night how he DOES NOT want to be moved from New York. He has taken well to basketball here and the fans have taken to him. Think about the commitment he is showing to a team that is 6-21. I told you he was nuts, but that kind of nuts is admirable. He's a head case and does his own thing his ways (look at what he pulled with the Spurs over the summer). But the main thing is that he is playing extremely well (he torched the very strong defensively Nuggets last night). You Jazz will have to break the bank to get him. You willing to do that? He ain't going for no bench-riders or injured players.