What's new

Lauri Markkanen stats since Dec 1

Hopefully the Jazz trade him somewhere where he has a chance to win instead of being wasted surrounded by volume chuckers and an inept coach.

I mean, we're only halfway through the first year of a rebuild. It's going to take time to add another star to go with Lauri and build a winning roster around them. We need to have some patience.

Unquestionably an all star. I would think he should be in the running for western conference player of the month as well and should probably be the front runner for most improved player.

I mean, we're only halfway through the first year of a rebuild. It's going to take time to add another star to go with Lauri and build a winning roster around them. We need to have some patience.
If we were giving minutes to younger players instead of stuffing most of them in the doghouse, then sure I'd agree.

We give way too many minutes to washed up vets to call this a rebuild.

In Finnish media, there has been lately a trend that consist following aspects:

A) Coverage on Lauri's daily efforts seems to exploding
B) Awe for his totally unprecedented balling has reached to a new level
C) Daily sports articles have formed a new standard format in line with: "Lauri Markkanen was again the best player on a court when his team Utah Jazz lost in its [add increasing ordinal number here] time in row."
D) Lauri has transcended above some kind of mythical level in Finnish basketball, while his team is not
E) Lauri's apparent shortcomings are still handled relatively objectively, and talked on rather matter-of-fact manner, but no article ever undermine his divine efforts: He is the celestial measuring stick of everything about the Finnish basketball, now and most likely very long time to come
F) A random non-sport following granny from backwoods recognize Lauri's name these days

Happy New Year! Everyone!

If they involve letting washed up vets soak up most of the minutes and freeze out our best scorer while our young talent rots on the bench, then no, I don't.
In the incredibly microscopic short view sure.

In the incredibly microscopic short view sure.
I don't actually want the Jazz to trade Markkanen.

I just want them to **** or get off the toilet, instead of wasting time with the Rudy Gay/Kelly Olynyk/Mike Conley/Jordan Clarkson show.

In Finnish media, there has been lately a trend that consist following aspects:

A) Coverage on Lauri's daily efforts seems to exploding
B) Awe for his totally unprecedented balling has reached to a new level
C) Daily sports articles have formed a new standard format in line with: "Lauri Markkanen was again the best player on a court when his team Utah Jazz lost in its [add increasing ordinal number here] time in row."
D) Lauri has transcended above some kind of mythical level in Finnish basketball, while his team is not
E) Lauri's apparent shortcomings are still handled relatively objectively, and talked on rather matter-of-fact manner, but no article ever undermine his divine efforts: He is the celestial measuring stick of everything about the Finnish basketball, now and most likely very long time to come
F) A random non-sport following granny from backwoods recognize Lauri's name these days

Happy New Year! Everyone!

Nice but not enough nice. You guys need of learn from Pilipinos. If Jordan Clarkson decides to run for Senator of the Philippines he would win lol.

Nice but not enough nice. You guys need of learn from Pilipinos. If Jordan Clarkson decides to run for Senator of the Philippines he would win lol.
We do have a relatively well working political system, thanks for asking. That invludes that in most cases pro athletes are not elected as MPs. Except for maybe some populist parties. We do understand that they are good at their particular sport but it doesnt make them worthy decision makers for the nation.

Instead we have the youngest female prime minister who likes to dance and I love it. :D

But yeah, Lauri was long known as februlauri for the one full month of elite-level play. The general consensus was that his cealing is high but he likely cannot do it consistently. In hindsight the februlauri was more of a result of usage. Now Lauri has shown that he can produce at this level consistently.

These losses have mainly been very close ones for the Jazz with b2b heart wrenching losses. I do think they will be able to turn it around at some point. There seems to be a lot of things that they have just stopped doing right sinse the beginning of the season. I am confident they will turn it over. Ofcourse, its a possibility that Ainge will do some dramatic moves to a direction or the other. As it is right now, they do have the tools to climb to playoff contention.

These losses have mainly been very close ones for the Jazz with b2b heart wrenching losses. I do think they will be able to turn it around at some point. There seems to be a lot of things that they have just stopped doing right sinse the beginning of the season. I am confident they will turn it over. Ofcourse, its a possibility that Ainge will do some dramatic moves to a direction or the other. As it is right now, they do have the tools to climb to playoff contention.
For this last part, I think we need to embrace the fact that we wont upset any of the top teams as currently constructed.

To contend for a title, you need a dominant starting 5 and a good bench. We have a good bench but our starting 5 is just way too far from being dominant... esespecially defensively.

Eh. The Jazz are limited and other teams are professionals too. The hot start was always going to cool back down. They’ve lost their last 4 games by an average of 3 points - one or two possessions. They still have a lot of potential for this season.

With that said, I still think the Jazz should be in asset acquisition mode this year - so they should absolutely look to move Conley, Gay, THT and Olynyk and be open to a good deal being offered for Clarkson, Beasley, Vando and/or Sexton.

At any rate, I’d like to see them bench or buy out Rudy Gay after the trade deadline if he’s not included in a bigger deal somewhere.

Lauri’s last 21 games:

25.9 PPG and 8.5 RPG

177/332 from the field (53.3%)
100/167 from 2 (59.9%)
77/165 from 3 (46.7%)
112/126 from FT (88.9%)

Lauri's 3 ball is falling apart. Been expecting it as he's a streaky shooter like Beasley, but I'm not sure we win any games if Markkanen shoots 32% or something from the perimeter.

In his last 17 games (Dec 1 to present) Lauri is averaging:

27.8 PPG and 8.6 RPG with a 68.3 TS%
51.4% from field on 17.2 FGA per game
42.9% from three on 8.2 3PTA per game
91.9% from free throw on 72 attempts

It is ****ing ridiculous how good he’s been.

In his last 17 games (Dec 1 to present) Lauri is averaging:

27.8 PPG and 8.6 RPG with a 68.3 TS%
51.4% from field on 17.2 FGA per game
42.9% from three on 8.2 3PTA per game
91.9% from free throw on 72 attempts

It is ****ing ridiculous how good he’s been.
Ya, those are pretty much guaranteed first team all nba numbers. Cant do much better than those numbers.

Things definitely feel much harder for Lauri now. Much less easy looks at the rim, but he's getting a lot more shooting fouls drawn to compensate for all the extra defensive attention.

Lauri is also 112 3PM to tie Donovan's single season Jazz record. If Lauri plays the final 38 games he will need to average roughly 2.95 3's per game.