What's new

Mathews and Deron?

gregbroncs

I see these guys mentioned on here quite a bit. It got me wondering, would anybody here have any interest in either of those players if they had not played here before? I have no interest now, so this is not a question I can answer.
1. Is a good quality starter that is coming off of a serious injury. But plays a position we are the best set up for going into the future. We have 3 guys just as good or better than him or with potential to be better, and 2 decent if unspectacular players for depth/rotation.
2. Is a former great PG that has been on a downward slide for 3-4 years. Is constantly injured and is past the window of the age our roster needs. He's not a leader and is a bit of an *******. He also does not really fit the system we now run as we don't need a ball dominant PG anymore.
Am I that far out on a limb to say we only see them mentioned here because of their history with us.
Was just thinking about this while looking through the Hood thread and seeing Mathews again being mentioned as a starter for us.

I think this board is pretty consistent in showing interest in any possible opportunities to improve the team. Middleton, Batum, Lowry, etc. have all been talked about, and in some cases, you're looking for situations where you might pick up someone who used to be good, but has fallen off a bit, in hopes they may rebound in a new situation. As far as Wes goes, forgetting that we don't have a big hole to fill at his position and that there was not much chance of stealing him back from Portland, I definitely would have had interest before the injury. None at all now, considering his defense was big reason for our interest, and this injury will mean he'll likely never be able to defend at the same level. As for Deron, I would still have interest under the right circumstances, such as a limited role similar to what Trey is playing now and of course he'd have to be bought out and then signed for a reasonable amount. I'm not sold on Trey Burke becoming much more than he is now, and IMO one of the biggest needs for improvement in the offseason is better play from PG spot.

ok let me explain

the only reason I want deron is to be a back up mentor for exum but agreed he can be douche. also I hate Burke so most anything would be better. I am of the opinion now I would rather have burks there of go out and sign patrick Beverley. no reason to go after Williams.

Matthews isn't worth offering anything for now with his injury. I would rather use our assets to move Burke and draft picks to get Mario hezonja.

exum, Beverley, cotton
hood, burks, millsap
Hayward, hezonja, ingles
favors, booker
Gobert, pleiss, FA center or motum

see no Williams or Matthews. I think Hayward can be played as a stretch 4 is a small ball line up.

I would say the OP is correct when it comes to Deron. As for Wes, when I was floating his name, I thought he was the best two-way shooting guard that we would have the ability to lure in free agency, given his willingness to stay after his first year (had things gone right). I also floated Khris Middleton's name as a potential somewhat under-the-radar two-way impact player.

But given Hood's emergence at the 2, I do think we need more of a 3/4 than a 2/3. This is why lately I've mentioned Sam Dekker as a good candidate to give Hayward some rest throughout the year, given the frenetic pace at which Gordon tends to play. Long story short, I think looking for a 2 this offseason (while once optimal) would be a waste of resources and a killer of our young player development.

I was in the pro-Matthews or Demarre Carroll camp BEFORE the emergence of Hood. Rodney may never be the defender that those two are/were but he's going to be a better 3pt shooter. I no see the need to spend big money on a wing. If that's BPA in the draft, then you take one. But we are just fine with Hayward, Burks and Hood with Ingles and Millsap getting spot minutes.

Jazz could still use a 3/D guy. Trade Trey for whatever, the Jazz have 4 ballhandlers and no need for a guy that can't make shots and doesn't seem too focused on making his teammates shine.

Exum/Burks
Hayward/Burks
CARROLL (SPEND THE MONEY)/Hood

A five-man perimeter rotation that leaves no fat to cut AND pushes Exum for minutes while giving him more targets and more space sounds pretty damn good to me.

I would say the OP is correct when it comes to Deron.

Yeah, I skipped over that part of my answer, but agree about Deron. With the contract he's on and no real reason to believe he'll get bought out, other than speculation, we wouldn't be discussing him if he wasn't a former Jazz player. Wes is a UFA and a good player, so I think we'd have been discussing him regardless.

If Deron hadn't played here I probably would have no interest in him. That being said, if Brooklyn cuts him this summer, I'd be interested in bringing hm back.

I was 100% in the max Matthews camp. Not anymore. Same with Carroll. I was big into bringing him back. He will be waaay too expensive now. No thanks.

I'd be all for:

Trade Burke for David Lee and Harrison Barnes. Sign Deron to the mid level exception.

Exum/Deron/Cotton
Hayward/Burks
Barnes/Hood
Favors/Booker
Gobert/Lee

I really like that team. We win 50+ with that team. Good mix of vets and youth.

If Deron hadn't played here I probably would have no interest in him. That being said, if Brooklyn cuts him this summer, I'd be interested in bringing hm back.

I was 100% in the max Matthews camp. Not anymore. Same with Carroll. I was big into bringing him back. He will be waaay too expensive now. No thanks.

I'd be all for:

Trade Burke for David Lee and Harrison Barnes. Sign Deron to the mid level exception.

Exum/Deron/Cotton
Hayward/Burks
Barnes/Hood
Favors/Booker
Gobert/Lee

I really like that team. We win 50+ with that team. Good mix of vets and youth.

this I would a gree if Brooklyn cuts him the jazz should give him a call

ok let me explain

the only reason I want deron is to be a back up mentor for exum but agreed he can be douche. also I hate Burke so most anything would be better. I am of the opinion now I would rather have burks there of go out and sign patrick Beverley. no reason to go after Williams.

Matthews isn't worth offering anything for now with his injury. I would rather use our assets to move Burke and draft picks to get Mario hezonja.

exum, Beverley, cotton
hood, burks, millsap
Hayward, hezonja, ingles
favors, booker

see no Williams or Matthews. I think Hayward can be played as a stretch 4 is a small ball line up.

I think the idea of mentorship is really overblown around here.

Deron isn't a mentor, he's a dick head. Who's going to listen to and climb under the wing of a dick head? No one. That's who.

You know what's worse than not having any mentors? Having dick heads in the role of mentor, supposedly having the blessing of the organization, turning promising players off to the team.

I feel bad for Matthews. That particular injury is so hard to come back from. He had a real future and that may have just done him in.

Deron isn't a mentor, he's a dick head. Who's going to listen to and climb under the wing of a dick head? No one. That's who.

You know what's worse than not having any mentors? Having dick heads in the role of mentor, supposedly having the blessing of the organization, turning promising players off to the team.

Deron was a good leader for Utah up until we traded for Al and regressed as a team. Yeah, he was frustrated with a team going in the wrong direction, and he could have acted better, but the grudges some fans hold are excessive IMO. Deron likes Utah and is pretty much the opposite of Enes Kanter in his attitude towards the organization. It's obviously a moot point in that he isn't going anywhere without a buyout, but Deron would be fine as a mentor to Exum. He learned the hard way that having an owner with deep pockets doesn't guarantee anything, and he could be a voice in our corner as to being cautious of thinking the grass might be greener elsewhere. If some fans are determined to hold a grudge, I'm sure nothing will change their mind, but Deron is certainly not the same guy he was when he was traded, so labeling him as such is a bit unfair IMO.

Last edited:
I have nothing to base this on, but I have a hunch that Deron would be a lot different (personality-wise) if he came back to the Jazz. He just wants to win, and being around a young nucleus on an up and coming team like the Jazz could rejuvenate his career. I think Deron fully realizes now how well he had it in Utah, after the being on a dumpster-fire of a team like the Nets. Sure he may have been an ******* the first time around, but people do change...

IAWTP. I don't know why anybody thinks DW would be a good mentor. Please point to a single shred of evidence.

edit: I just saw the posts above where people are saying that Deron may have changed and may have learned some lessons. That is speculation. I have not seen any evidence of that. Does anybody have any? And even if he has changed, what makes you think he would be willing to mentor others?

Stop making Exum the second coming.. DWill come to Utah to back him up. Get real Dude.

ok let me explain

exum, Beverley, cotton
hood, burks, millsap
Hayward, hezonja, ingles
favors, booker

The idea of Deron as a mentor is tantalizing and I see why people get excited about it, but then you have to remember everything the guy has done and all the things candid people have said about him. He's not the mentor type... He's Douchey McDoucherson. We had some good times with Deron but he's not that guy anymore and all that is left is Douche.