What's new

Michael Jordan speaks out on gun violence and police/community relations

Michael Jordan calls for cease to cop hate speech an respect

Discuss.

I feel like he an people like Karl Malone should speak out more for black community as role models.

I think his million dollar contributions are wonderful. Good for him.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using JazzFanz mobile app

I don't get it. Why is he a soulless clown? Is it because he " has pledged to contribute $1 million to the Internal Association of Chiefs of Police's Institute for Community-Police Relations and the NAACP Legal Defense Fund."

Apparently you can't take into account the complexity of the situation. If you're not shouting at everyone, you're soulless.

"I was raised by parents who taught me to love and respect people regardless of their race or background, so I am saddened and frustrated by the divisive rhetoric and racial tensions that seem to be getting worse as of late. I know this country is better than that, and I can no longer stay silent," Jordan added. "We need to find solutions that ensure people of color receive fair and equal treatment AND that police officers — who put their lives on the line every day to protect us all — are respected and supported."

I'm glad to see him speaking out on these issues, and making substantial donations to groups that are working towards solutions. Given that his father was murdered during a robbery, I sort of expected he might be a little more outspoken on some of these issues. But then again, the issues are complex, and not everyone may be comfortable taking a stand or publicly expressing an opinion.

I'm especially glad to see the support he's giving to programs to improve community/police relationships.

Jordan, in his statement, said his donation to the IACP will help fund the police group's "newly established Institute for Community-Police Relations, which launched in May to execute recommendations made in the report of the President's Task Force on 21st Century Policing."

The task force chaired by Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey and Laurie Robinson, a professor of criminology at George Mason University, was convened in the wake of the police killings of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri and Eric Garner on Staten Island, New York.

"I can't overstate how pleased we are to be getting a donation from Mr. Jordan," said IACP executive director Vincent Talucci.

Among other thing, Talucci said, they will use the money to fund training programs and help police departments build bridges to minority communities.

That was the weakest possible endorsement he'd have given. Half the article focused on his 'generous' donations.
I suppose male white cops and their supporters and families also buy Jordans.

PHILADELPHIA — Basketball legend ... ...brought his endorsement of Hillary Clinton—and his strong condemnation of Donald Trump—to the last night of the 2016 Democratic National Convention.

“I’m Michael Jordan,” he introduced himself at Philly’s Wells Fargo Center.

“I say that because I know Donald Trump couldn’t tell the difference.”

ok, so really it was Kareem Abdul-Jabar

https://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/07/28/kareem-abdul-jabbar-takes-it-to-the-hole-and-slams-donald-trump.html

I'm probably gonna sound like Bill Walton here; but I think Kareem is one of the greater minds in the country - 90% of what he writes is spot on.

It's a shame he was cast out of the NBA. Albeit deservedly, I think he even acknowledges now that he acted like a stand-offish dick to everyone around him for about 30 years. On the other hand he certainly wouldn't be doing this stuff for a living if he had a gig in the league.