What's new

Millsap got signed to a second 10-day

Should have offered him the minimum salary deal of 3 years, with the 2nd and 3rd years being a team options.

Is that even possible? Does anyone know?

Yeah, I think hats what the Jazz had with John Lucas.
Should have offered him the minimum salary deal of 3 years, with the 2nd and 3rd years being a team options.

Seems a little excessive for a guy that has put together a few really good games. If we did that with Sundiata Gaines then that would have totally backfired. No need to jump the gun and buy the car before test driving it.

Seems a little excessive for a guy that has put together a few really good games. If we did that with Sundiata Gaines then that would have totally backfired. No need to jump the gun and buy the car before test driving it.

I fail to see how this could possibly backfire if he was given the minimum for the rest of the season with year 2 and 3 being team options.

I fail to see how this could possibly backfire if he was given the minimum for the rest of the season with year 2 and 3 being team options.

Not only that... Those contracts are assets in the offseason as they help u match salary in trades and the team can wave the player and save the cap space.

Ah I misread what he said. Agreed, but still no need to offer him something like that until after the 2nd 10 day.

Because there are other D-League dudes to try out on 10-day contracts. Or maybe a trade that needs us to have a roster spot open.

Because there are other D-League dudes to try out on 10-day contracts. Or maybe a trade that needs us to have a roster spot open.

We have Evans, Clark and Williams that are perfect to include in trades. As for other D-leaguers, I assume that the Jazz only offer Millsap such a deal if they think that he is clearly better than or other fillers.

I've seen Millsap play one game. I was impressed enough that I think he should get another 10-day, but not much more than that.

then we cut Williams. Millsap is a keeper (at least this year) and I have no problem doing the 2 year team option... I'd require it on all the minimum guys I signed. No reason not to.

Had we done that with Wes Matthews we could have had him for another couple years.

Those aren't very good reasons

You don't pass on someone you like just for the sake of trying out more D league dudes.

Also, in a trade, you can just wave somebody making the minimum if you need to.

then we cut Williams. Millsap is a keeper (at least this year) and I have no problem doing the 2 year team option... I'd require it on all the minimum guys I signed. No reason not to.

Had we done that with Wes Matthews we could have had him for another couple years.

Williams is a 10 day contract. I think today is his last day.

I wouldn't sign Millsap for the year. I like him, but he isn't that good or something I feel we need to keep. I'd rather just try some of these other D-League names out, see what's out there.

I wouldn't sign Millsap for the year. I like him, but he isn't that good or something I feel we need to keep. I'd rather just try some of these other D-League names out, see what's out there.

If there is someone better out there they'd have to find him quickly. It's not like we have enough healthy players that we could just let Millsap go and try to find someone later.

We also have another 10-day player in Williams. I'd keep Millsap. We need a SG; it's not as if the Jazz are waiting for Burks to return. And, Hood's issues may be recurring. Use Williams' spot as the 10-day revolver. At least do that up to the trading deadline in case of a 2-for-1 trade.

I would sign him for the year easily. The reasons are that we are going to have a D-leaguer on the bench so he's not getting int he way of anyone being signed to "round out our team." But also because he plays tenacious-d (that's for Jack Black). Having that D is good for games but also for our guys to practice against and witness. Very reasonable price for that level of service.