What's new

Millsap on ESPN700 right now.

I would love to hear this. I'll probably forget to check if they will be posting this as a podcast, but hopefully they do and hopefully I remember.

If I'm Millsap, it would be a huge insult for me to come off the bench on a lottery bound rebuilding team when you know your better than every other guy out there. Its not like Ginobli of the Spurs who had two all stars and were winning championships and 65 games a year. Millsap got where he was today with hard work, and can't identify the whole "potential" argument of Derrick Favors since he watched 40+ players bust who were picked ahead of him on "potential".

To keep Sap happy, and also his trade value high, they will start him for the remainder of his contract, and shift him to SF as matchups permit so Favors can develop as well.

I really like Millsap, but he's expecting to be our long term starter at the 4 spot. I just don't see him being the best PF on this team after this next season. He's just so well suited to coming off the bench with the Jazz, and I mean that as a compliment to him. I even feel he's worth the 8 mil a year as a bench player. I just don't think Millsap will see it that way though.

I'm of the opinion that I'd want him to be in a situation better suited for him before the drama explodes when he doesn't start or see the playing time he deserves. I could see him doing really well as a starter at Golden State, Portland, Indiana, or Philly. Those systems would thrive with the way he plays and we might as well trade him while his stock is about as high as it'll get.

Really good 6th man, average starter. If he won't come off the bench it's time to let him go.

Really good and happy as a starter. Un-motivated and pissed off coming off the bench. Would you perform well at your job if you got a heavy demotion? Keep in mind 2 years ago he was within the leagues top PF for double doubles. And he was just filling in for Boozers injury. Favors will be great, but he has a ways to go. Kanter will be too, but he also has a ways to go. Neither is starter ready, so why replace Milsap right now, other than too clear Roster space?

It's becoming more and more obvious that Sap is really not that interested in playing the 6th man role. More power to him, it's that type of mentality that has turned him in to what he is today, but it is going to create problems with what the Jazz want to do moving forward. With Kanter and Favors on this team, I do not see a longterm scenario in which Sap remains a starter.

I LOVE Sap and think his mentality and work ethic are hard to come by, but if he cannot embrace the 6th man role, I agree with those who say continue to start Sap for now in order to keep his trade value high, then move him when the best offer is presented.

If Jefferson gets himself in good shape for the season and Okur is healthy, I believe that's our best starting line (the first is more of an "IF" than an "if"). If either of those fails, Millsap is starter. Favors will earn playing time regardless, who knows how ready Kanter will be?

However, if Millsap is not the starter and is unhappy with that prospect, it is indeed time to trade him.

Millsap works so hard that he wears down over the season. I would love if he would come off the bench and we could play him 28-30 minutes as opposed to 36-40 like we had to last season. He would destroy every other teams backup and may actually have better stats. I think this season he will still be our best PF, although I would love to be proven wrong. So start Millsap this year, Favors may still need work on not getting into foul trouble.

But with our roster, and any hopes of winning a championship, can't include Millsap as our starting PF. Especially if either or both of Favors and Kanter develop into what we hope.

Two thoughts:

1. Millsap comes back better after every summer, he'll probably come back better this year. I wouldn't rule out him earning the starting spot again.*

2. If Millsap doesn't start and isn't happy in his role with the Jazz, do the Jazz owe it to him to trade him where he will be happy? Millsap is in the prime of his career. He's been nothing but FANTASTIC for the Jazz. Do the Jazz really want to bench him while they develop Favors? If I think about what is best for Millsap, I think the Jazz should trade him (In the end, Millsap is not bigger than the team, so I'm happy with the Jazz keeping him. But Millsap is one of those players who my love for him is almost as big as my love for the Jazz.)

*Just go look at his career numbers. Millsap's FT percentage went WAY up last year. Thats a result of hard work. One of the reasons I resent Fesenko is because he started practicing free throws during the Nuggets playoffs series. I bet Millsap was confident in saying he or CJ would win the three point competition because he has put a lot of work into his 3 point shot. Trust me. Millsap will come back better after this summer.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/millspa01.html

Easy fix. You start Millsap until Favors/Kanter is producing more. Then Millsap has no argument. If he is getting beat up in practice every day by Favors/Kanter and is getting outperformed by both/one in games, then you trade him or bring him off the bench. Until then, he is our starter. He has earned it and should get it until Favors/Kanter proves they are better.

@green, have you ever been on a competitive basketball team? Is it really that easy? (I have not, but I hear one of the biggest problems for coaches is dealing with egos...)

If Jefferson gets himself in good shape for the season and Okur is healthy, I believe that's our best starting line (the first is more of an "IF" than an "if").
Damn that would be terrible. No team defense, no transition offense or defense, poor ball movement. I guess if the goal is to get another high lotto pick, that would be the Jazz's best starting line.