What's new

Mitchell's road to 1,000,000

Archie Moses

I started following Mitchell on Instagram a few months before the all star break. He had 300k or so followers at the time. Right now, he has 637k. Yesterday, he had 635k. Mitchell currently has the most followers on IG than any other Jazzman - Rudy, I think, is second. Just to give you an idea of how fast Mitchell's popularity is growing, Gordon Hayward currently has 1.2 million followers. Gordon Hayward was a bigger name coming out of college (because of his notoriety at Butler) and has been in the league 8 plus years, he's been an all star and now plays for a large market team.

While Mitchell passing a million followers and Hayward on IG isn't necessarily a big deal, it does bring some validation that 1) Mitchell is very likable 2) he's making a name for himself and 3) he's nationally and world-wide our biggest athlete in Utah.

Do you think he passes a million followers before the end of the season? I do.

Do you think he'll pass Hayward, and if so, when? I do, before the end of the calendar year.

Lastly, follow him if you haven't already. This **** matters to kids nowadays.

https://www.instagram.com/spidadmitchell/

Donovan has more followers than the Utah Jazz Instagram page.... he’s a star. I think he’ll reach a million by the end of this year, probably not the season unless he goes on an absolute tear. But yes I think there’s a good chance he passes Hayward.

Donovan will be the biggest star the Jazz have ever had. There’s no doubt about that IMO.

I'm too old for Instagram and I don't understand why I should care about how many followers he has.

Hope everything's going well for you Archie!

I'm right up there in age with you, Kick. I wanna say I don't care about how many followers he has, but after losing our star in Hayward, I feel a sense of "maybe they are right and stars don't wanna play in Utah." Mitchell has a pretty strong and active social media life. I think, to a degree, the number of followers he has can help change the national mindset/stigma that the Jazz and their players are boring and make him feel respected and relevant (again, to a certain degree.) His following is bigger than any rookie the Jazz has ever had before (yes, small sample size,) but is still pretty small compared to guys like Zo, Tatum, Simmons.

It will be interesting to see how many followers he gets and how fast he gets them. I guarantee, since the all star game, he's feeling like he's being noticed having his account jump over a half a million followers.

Lastly, thanks, dude. Hope everything is going well for you too. Sorry for being such a douche to you for, well, you know... a decade?!?!

Hehepeepeecaca

Last edited:
Donovan has more followers than the Utah Jazz Instagram page.... he’s a star. I think he’ll reach a million by the end of this year, probably not the season unless he goes on an absolute tear. But yes I think there’s a good chance he passes Hayward.

Donovan will be the biggest star the Jazz have ever had. There’s no doubt about that IMO.
It's not uncommon to have players have a larger social media following than their teams.

I think the Mitchell saga will be a really interesting look at where we are as an egalitarian NBA. I've been hearing for a while that stars can kind of go anywhere now with social media and the internet being so ubiquitous. Donovan should probably be getting a shoe deal, and even more national exposure soon if that is true. If a young cool, outgoing, charismatic player with a really exciting game can't get national recognition here then there is a major problem. That's assuming we win games and he keeps progressing, obviously.

I think Donovan outgoing personality and game will end up making it happen. I'm like 80/20 on that.

I gotta admit, at first read I thought this thread was silly, until I really thought about it. Much has been made of Hayward’s love affair with Stevens and while that obviously played a big part in his departure, I think there was something more at play: Gordon simply felt like he had peaked in Utah. Gordon wanted to grow the Hayward brand and he simply felt that going to Boston put him on a bigger stage, cleared the path to more all-star births, and would cement G-Time as a bigger NBA name.

What Donovan is doing nothing short of remarkable, but once again proves the point that if you are indeed a star, the masses will come to you. Hayward is a nice basketball player, and it hurt like hell to have him leave, but I think in hindsight we can see that his “stardom” is more of a manufactured thing as opposed to Donovan straight up being otherworldly.

You can bank on a signature Adidas shoe this offseason, multiple all-star births, and a whirlwind of popularity that Jazz fans have never felt with one of their own. It’s going to be fun to see where this leads the organization because this is certainly uncharted territory for them and us.

I gotta admit, at first read I thought this thread was silly, until I really thought about it. Much has been made of Hayward’s love affair with Stevens and while that obviously played a big part in his departure, I think there was something more at play: Gordon simply felt like he had peaked in Utah. Gordon wanted to grow the Hayward brand and he simply felt that going to Boston put him on a bigger stage, cleared the path to more all-star births, and would cement G-Time as a bigger NBA name.

What Donovan is doing nothing short of remarkable, but once again proves the point that if you are indeed a star, the masses will come to you. Hayward is a nice basketball player, and it hurt like hell to have him leave, but I think in hindsight we can see that his “stardom” is more of a manufactured thing as opposed to Donovan straight up being otherworldly.

You can bank on a signature Adidas shoe this offseason, multiple all-star births, and a whirlwind of popularity that Jazz fans have never felt with one of their own. It’s going to be fun to see where this leads the organization because this is certainly uncharted territory for them and us.
Good post, and the “spider M” logo that was on Donovan’s bag during all Star weekend showed there is likely something in the making. It was made for him. Donovan is going to be big, and we need him to get the attention and endorsements. Donovan seems to be a pretty down to earth guy that will be loyal to those who believed in him, but he’s also not going to want to miss out on a bunch either. He can be a star wherever he’s at and I hope he continues to grow.

oh yeah addidas made the best investment ever snatching mitchell up.

as for hayward, he was stuck in the mud because he was a boring *** white guy that took 7seasons to become a solid player.
Hayward moving to Boston will increase his brand a little IMO, but Hayward will never be the star he thinks he is. He doesn’t have the personality, flare, or even game to be that guy. He’s a good player, he is not ever going to be “that guy”.

Good post, and the “spider M” logo that was on Donovan’s bag during all Star weekend showed there is likely something in the making. It was made for him. Donovan is going to be big, and we need him to get the attention and endorsements. Donovan seems to be a pretty down to earth guy that will be loyal to those who believed in him, but he’s also not going to want to miss out on a bunch either. He can be a star wherever he’s at and I hope he continues to grow.

Also think coming from Connecticut he likes a more relaxed quiet community, i've seen him talk about it in a bunch of interviews he doesn't seem that interested in chasing the scene or the bright lights of the big city.

Donovan is quickly aligning into one of the future faces of the nba. Social media attention is one indicator of that. The national love and media coverage he gets even in a small market as a rook is another.

Giannis, Mitchell, Simmons, Embiid, booker. These will be the guys in 3-5 years time as it stands. If Durant and Westbrook can become so wildly successful and loved in OKC, DM will be just fine in UT

Also think coming from Connecticut he likes a more relaxed quiet community, i've seen him talk about it in a bunch of interviews he doesn't seem that interested in chasing the scene or the bright lights of the big city.
Tbh, I believe in Donovan and that he is sincere. I believe Donovan was raised right, is truly a very good kid, and isn’t just putting on a PR show because he’s went well beyond what he ever had to to endear himself to fans. Let’s just caution a little see what happens when he signs a deal worth over $100 million in a few years. Hopefully he never changes at all.

And yes he’s talked about liking a more laid back lifestyle. He chose Louisville when he had other options open to him, which is actually pretty comparable to this market.

As with all things though, we are just at the beginning of what is hopefully a long fun ride. A lot can happen. Luckily the Jazz learned from some mistakes in the past on certain things and I expect they won’t make those mistakes with him. Truth is at this point if you don’t know who Donovan is you aren’t even really a basketball fan at all. I don’t think the market will hurt him simply because of who he is as both a player and person. His game is extremly fun to watch on the court, and I honestly believe he is the BEST player in the NBA off the court and in interviews.

We’ll see how it turns out. One things for certain he has been much more open, involved, and complimentary of the Jazz and being here than any player in recent memory. He just has a positive attitude. He’s going to want to win and compete, which will probably be the deciding factor. He’s going to get the max money all the time if he continues at this pace. Recognition, All Star appearances, shoe deals, Instagram followers.....winning and competeing will bring all those things. For being in 10th place the dudes got a lot of love. The guy who deserves more is Rudy.

It's not impossible that they would play a role in signing a future contract. That said, following is not for me.
I would really doubt Donovan mitchels number of followers translates to getting a free agent.
Really doubt that any NBA player is gonna think "man, I would love to play with Mitchell and Gobert in Utah, but damn. They just don't have enough Instagram followers"
And if that was a deciding factor I would say they are probably not the kind of player the jazz look for.

Sent from my SM-J727T using JazzFanz mobile app