What's new

My free agent target - Hassan Whiteside

jazzfan1971

As I see it, the Jazz defense is built around Rudy. We have poor(ish) defenders everywhere else and funnel opposing players into Rudy. When Rudy is off the floor our entire defense craters because we don't have another rim protector on the team to funnel opponents into. And it becomes something of a layup drill for teams dunking on the likes of Favors or Bradley.

The Jazz seem to want to go with a small ball center that can space the floor. I'm the opposite. I want to bring in a guy that can protect the rim. I don't care much what else he can do. And it looks to me like Whiteside is probably the best rim protector out there. But, if there is someone cheaper that possesses that singular skill I'm all for going that way.

Now, maybe Dok, can fill this role. One would hope. But, Snyder didn't see fit to let him sniff the court last year, so I don't think any of us really know. IF he can, great. If not, I say bring in a shot blocker so that we can continue playing the same style of defense when Rudy sits.

Now, bringing a 4 that can space the floor I agree with. But, that's not who I want backing up Rudy. I want that guy playing the 4.

Ok, a lot of yada, yada, yada for what one fan thinks the Jazz should do.

So, tell me why I'm wrong and the Jazz should instead target the guy you like instead!

Simple - Whiteside is an elite rim defender. Pull him outside the paint with a legitimate outside shooting threat and he's not only not elite, but a liability.

Kind of sounds exactly like what happened to Rudy in the playoffs - have we forgotten LAC already? Who are you going to play at the 5, a third string big-man?

Hassan offers us no added flexibility to small-ball lineups which is an obvious achilles heel for us. Add in the fact that he's an atrocious FT shooter and unplayable in crunch time and you have a recipe for an early exit.

Does it frustrate anyone else when people say the solution to small ball lineups is getting a mobile C?

Does anyone else think the problem was our 1-4 are poor defenders (or tired, or injured, or whatever)and our 5 can’t be pulled away from the hoop as a result?

I may just not get it… but I believe our problem is what it’s always been: we don’t have a long / athletic forward who can disrupt what is usually the best player on the other team.

Simple - Whiteside is an elite rim defender. Pull him outside the paint with a legitimate outside shooting threat and he's not only not elite, but a liability.

Kind of sounds exactly like what happened to Rudy in the playoffs - have we forgotten LAC already? Who are you going to play at the 5, a third string big-man?

Hassan offers us no added flexibility to small-ball lineups which is an obvious achilles heel for us. Add in the fact that he's an atrocious FT shooter and unplayable in crunch time and you have a recipe for an early exit.
Hassan is an elite stat chaser, not a rim defender.

Hassan Whiteside's understanding of basketball is see ball/try to block. He is constantly out of position to get one more block in.

They need a stiff on a minimum to play 5-10 when Rudy sits. I think there are better options but sure, whiteside works too.

whiteside would show up here n act like hes better than Rudy...

have u see any evidence that he wouldnt act like that? cuz id bet thats how it'd play out..

I think if he doesn't fit you can always cut him. I'm not talking about a lot invested in the guy.
i understand that but id cite what happened with whiteside last year with the kings as a cautionary tale...

they have marvin bagley who plays half a season every year go down n walton still woouldnt give Whiteside any PT...

Im like 99% sure its because whiteside was a jerk...

ey before whiteside returned to the NBa when he was putting up crazy stats in isreal i made posts here saying he might b a sleeper...

I like this move in theory.. its just idk if it actually works in reality,,

Whiteside and Rudy don't like each other.

In Miami, when Hassan was a stat stuffer on D Miami was still better defensively with him off the court.

He would be a big mistake, one of the worst ideas I have read this offseason.
Remember when we added mark jackson to backup stockton? And he ended up talking trash about stockton In The locker room? Oof.

As I see it, the Jazz defense is built around Rudy. We have poor(ish) defenders everywhere else and funnel opposing players into Rudy. When Rudy is off the floor our entire defense craters because we don't have another rim protector on the team to funnel opponents into. And it becomes something of a layup drill for teams dunking on the likes of Favors or Bradley.

The Jazz seem to want to go with a small ball center that can space the floor. I'm the opposite. I want to bring in a guy that can protect the rim. I don't care much what else he can do. And it looks to me like Whiteside is probably the best rim protector out there. But, if there is someone cheaper that possesses that singular skill I'm all for going that way.

Now, maybe Dok, can fill this role. One would hope. But, Snyder didn't see fit to let him sniff the court last year, so I don't think any of us really know. IF he can, great. If not, I say bring in a shot blocker so that we can continue playing the same style of defense when Rudy sits.

Now, bringing a 4 that can space the floor I agree with. But, that's not who I want backing up Rudy. I want that guy playing the 4.

Ok, a lot of yada, yada, yada for what one fan thinks the Jazz should do.

So, tell me why I'm wrong and the Jazz should instead target the guy you like instead!

Delete your account immediately. As someone born in 1971 I in no way want to be associated with this drivel