What's new

NBA.com: Donovan Mitchell WC Rookie of the Month

I was slightly worried that a crazy amount of East Coast bias would not get him this but it is well deserved and really he is head and shoulders above any rookie in December. I am glad he got it.

Now I want to see him get it every month to finish the season!

If he averages 22+(which seems very likely) for the rest of the season he will be over the 20 ppg average for the year, which would be an incredible accomplishment. Although he has already done enough to be extremely impressive for a rookie.

I was slightly worried that a crazy amount of East Coast bias would not get him this but it is well deserved and really he is head and shoulders above any rookie in December. I am glad he got it.
Not sure if we can really evaluate that as they are doing a ROTM for each conference.

Not sure if we can really evaluate that as they are doing a ROTM for each conference.

Oh, yeah. I forgot about that, lol. Good call.

Still some bias though since East national media members do not watch the Jazz much if at all, just highlights. The good news is the guy puts up some great highlights with his great stats!

The 19-year-old forward (Tatum) scored in double figures 14 times, including two games with 20 points

Lol, that's cute

Mitchell scored at least 29 points five times, more than 25 points seven times, and nine times with 20 or more points in December.

(and it should've noted that Donovan managed to do this while being gameplanned for as the #1 option, breaking double teams on a nightly basis, and carrying his offensively challenged team for 36+ minutes a night)

Last edited:
He's not even in the top ten for western conference guards in the all star ballot at the moment tho...
Lonzo, Manu and Booker won’t get in over Mitchell. Fan vote is a popularity contest and people will start speaking out nationally about him not showing up on the list when he’s balling out. Plus, he has massive respect of players, coaches and media. I doubt he’ll make it, but he’ll show up better than he has here initially.

Lonzo, Manu and Booker won’t get in over Mitchell. Fan vote is a popularity contest and people will start speaking out nationally about him not showing up on the list when he’s balling out. Plus, he has massive respect of players, coaches and media. I doubt he’ll make it, but he’ll show up better than he has here initially.

He should, I wish Jazz fans would help him out a little more though. Vote for the guy in all the ways they allow every day.

He by far deserved this ROM award and as of right now deserves the ROY award although Ben Simmons will probably get it. Donovan has had better play in a harder situation than Tatum, and yes I’m biased but that doesn’t mean it isn’t true. Donovan probably isn’t getting into the All Star Game this season but in the coming few he definetly should if he continues to grow and play like he has been.

Obviously he’ll be in the rookie/sophomore game, I hope he can get in the dunk contest, and hope he can make a legitimate run for rookie of the year. This years already all about Donovan and over the next stretch of about 15 games we will find out if we are just going to be in the tank and Donovan is the only thing that matters this season to push for. I’m rooting for the kid so hard, hes beyond a stand up guy combined with a relentless competitor. Unfortunately market size does affect things like popularity contests on All Star voting. It also doesn’t help that a majority of the talent is in the West, it’ll be nice if some of it moves east in the coming years.

He should, I wish Jazz fans would help him out a little more though. Vote for the guy in all the ways they allow every day.

He by far deserved this ROM award and as of right now deserves the ROY award although Ben Simmons will probably get it. Donovan has had better play in a harder situation than Tatum, and yes I’m biased but that doesn’t mean it isn’t true. Donovan probably isn’t getting into the All Star Game this season but in the coming few he definetly should if he continues to grow and play like he has been.

Obviously he’ll be in the rookie/sophomore game, I hope he can get in the dunk contest, and hope he can make a legitimate run for rookie of the year. This years already all about Donovan and over the next stretch of about 15 games we will find out if we are just going to be in the tank and Donovan is the only thing that matters this season to push for. I’m rooting for the kid so hard, hes beyond a stand up guy combined with a relentless competitor. Unfortunately market size does affect things like popularity contests on All Star voting. It also doesn’t help that a majority of the talent is in the West, it’ll be nice if some of it moves east in the coming years.

This, I am voting on the NBA website and social media every day.