What's new

NBA Draft Night Thread -- Live Reaction

YoungJefe

2017 - Bradley (28th from LA) ----->Brooks was drafted at 45, Josh Hart at 30
2018 - Allen (21st) ---->Brunson at 33
2019 - Brantley (50th from Indiana), Wright-Foreman (53), Oni (58 from warriors) ------->nothing to see here
2020 - Azubuike (27th) Hughes (39th from Pels) ------->Bane was available at 30
2021 - Butler (40) ------->this is promising
In 2020 we could've taken Jaden McDaniels or Desmond Bane.
In 2021 we could've kept #30 and taken Herb Jones or Ayo Dosunmu

LoPo

In 2020 we could've taken Jaden McDaniels or Desmond Bane.
In 2021 we could've kept #30 and taken Herb Jones or Ayo Dosunmu
From the Conley trade until last night, the Jazz FO has wasted our time, our enthusiasm and our franchise's chance to contend for a title.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

YoungJefe

From the Conley trade until last night, the Jazz FO has wasted our time, our enthusiasm and our franchise's chance to contend for a title.

Had we taken Bane/Jones or McDaniels/Ayo we could've solved a lot of our personnel issues but DL loved big men so he drafted Udoka then signed Favors then used a future first to dump favors/dumped #30 to shed salary. Ryan wants a championship doe!

LoPo

Had we taken Bane/Jones or McDaniels/Ayo we could've solved a lot of our personnel issues but DL loved big men so he drafted Udoka then signed Favors then used a future first to dump favors/dumped #30 to shed salary. Ryan wants a championship doe!
I'm tired of thinking about it all. Dreadful move after dreadful move. Miss after miss.

It's damn hard to overpay on a trade like the Conley deal
then miss huge in the 2020 draft
then miss huge on a full MLE player
then use draft picks to dump that MLE player
then miss huge in the 2021 draft
then overpay Mike whose deal(s) crippled us
then dump franchise icon Joe in a bad deal
then do nothing last night

It almost seems intentional.

YoungJefe

I'm tired of thinking about it all. Dreadful move after dreadful move. Miss after miss.

It's damn hard to overpay on a trade like the Conley deal
then miss huge in the 2020 draft
then use draft picks to dump that MLE player
then miss huge in the 2021 draft
then overpay Mike whose deal(s) crippled us
then dump franchise icon Joe in a bad deal
then do nothing last night

It almost seems intentional.

One of the biggest issues, imo, was that the organization played favorites and was scared to move on from players.

The organization felt bad about trading Favors so they brought him back on the MLE which essentially made the Udoka pick useless. They realized it was a mistake so they used a future first to dump him again.

Deciding we wanted to extend Conley and bring everyone back put us in a bad cap situation so we chose to dump our 1st round pick.

Bringing everyone back and allowing Quin to play favorites basically ensured Rudy Gay had no place in the rotation, thus making the signing useless.

Quin vetoing the Joe Ingles trade to the Warriors resulted in him playing like crap a year after he played at a 6MOY level so instead of getting a player and/or lottery pick we got NAW/Juancho.

Everyone expects Danny Ainge to change things but JZ is still here as the GM and he's a DL disciple.

YoungJefe

Quin also got stuck playing his brand of basketball which meant we always had a big rim protector in the middle that had 0 range offensively and small guards that dominated the ball on the court at all times w/ basically zero defensive versatility.

LoPo

One of the biggest issues, imo, was that the organization played favorites and was scared to move on from players.

The organization felt bad about trading Favors so they brought him back on the MLE which essentially made the Udoka pick useless. They realized it was a mistake so they used a future first to dump him again.

Deciding we wanted to extend Conley and bring everyone back put us in a bad cap situation so we chose to dump our 1st round pick.

Bringing everyone back and allowing Quin to play favorites basically ensured Rudy Gay had no place in the rotation, thus making the signing useless.

Quin vetoing the Joe Ingles trade to the Warriors resulted in him playing like crap a year after he played at a 6MOY level so instead of getting a player and/or lottery pick we got NAW/Juancho.

Everyone expects Danny Ainge to change things but JZ is still here as the GM and he's a DL disciple.
It all comes back to one thing for me. And it's always been this one thing since I became a Jazz fan in the 80's. The same exact thing whether it was John and Karl. Or Deron and Booz. Or Don and Rudy.

Go get wings. Simple. Draft wings. Sign wings. Trade for wings. Do everything in your power to find wings to go with generational small/big combos.

We have failed in all three eras and its soul crushing.

YoungJefe

It all comes back to one thing for me. And it's always been this one thing since I became a Jazz fan in the 80's. The same exact thing whether it was John and Karl. Or Deron and Booz. Or Don and Rudy.

Go get wings. Simple. Draft wings. Sign wings. Trade for wings. Do everything in your power to find wings to go with generational small/big combos.

We have failed in all three eras and its soul crushing.

AK47 would like a word

LoPo

AK47 would like a word
AK was on pace to be a legendary statistical beast at PF. Then we got Boozer and moved AK to SF where he never really dominated at the same level ever again.

Should we have traded Booz and put AK at 4? Traded AK for great value? That could be argued forever, but the fact of the matter is that we mismanaged our assets and relied on Ronnie Brewer to be our one true wing in that era.

YoungJefe

AK was on pace to be a legendary statistical beast at PF. Then we got Boozer and moved AK to SF where he never really dominated at the same level ever again.

Should we have traded Booz and put AK at 4? Traded AK for great value? That could be argued forever, but the fact of the matter is that we mismanaged our assets and relied on Ronnie Brewer to be our one true wing in that era.

NGL have we ever had a wing that was a 20+ ppg scorer?

LoPo

NGL have we ever had a wing that was a 20+ ppg scorer?
Adrian Dantley was an undersized SF for us in the early/mid 80s. Dude averaged 26ppg or more for 7 straight seasons. It was primarily him and Eaton.

That's pretty much it. What hurts is that we have had the other two elements (guard and post play), but we haven't had the balls or brains to go get the necessary wing play.