What's new

NBA Statement: NBAPA will not agree to smoothing the salary cap

vegas

NEW YORK — The following statement was issued today by NBA Executive Vice President, Communications Mike Bass:

"The National Basketball Players Association has informed the NBA that it will not agree to 'smoothing' in the increases in the Salary Cap that will result from the new national media agreements beginning in the 2016-17 season.

"Smoothing would have avoided a substantial Salary Cap spike in 2016-17. Under the league's smoothing approach, the salary shortfall resulting from more gradual Cap increases would have been paid directly to the Players Association for distribution to all players, and thus the total compensation paid to players in any given season would not have been impacted."

https://www.nba.com/2015/news/03/11/nbpa-will-not-agree-to-salary-cap-smoothing-for-2016-17-season/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpts

This is going to be pretty chaotic. In 2 years current salary amounts will have only 60-70% the impact on a teams cap room. Also I think its interesting that the players association prefers the market to determine what each player is paid rather than let the association divvy it up.

Lots of impacts, Favors, Hayward and possibly Burks contracts will have great value. Gonna make all sorts of crazy things happen.

https://www.nba.com/2015/news/03/11/nbpa-will-not-agree-to-salary-cap-smoothing-for-2016-17-season/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpts

This is going to be pretty chaotic. In 2 years current salary amounts will have only 60-70% the impact on a teams cap room. Also I think its interesting that the players association prefers the market to determine what each player is paid rather than let the association divvy it up.

Lots of impacts, Favors, Hayward and possibly Burks contracts will have great value. Gonna make all sorts of crazy things happen.

Role Players are about to get way overpaid. That's what always happens when GM's get too much money.

The NBAPA are a bunch of ****ing morans. There will be more players under contract under the current CBA than players not under contract. By not "smoothing" players open for a new contract will get paid more and those under existing contracts will be penalized. The NBAPA is supposed to represent all the players interests equally. Smoothing would be by far the most equitable approach and avoid a very chaotic year or two as salaries adjust. I definitely see a prolonged strike in the near future. What a shame.

Similarly, they push back against minimum age increases, which again does not advocate for the current union members. Having an age cap protects current members interests by keeping more positions in the league available.

The NBAPA are a bunch of ****ing morans. There will be more players under contract under the current CBA than players not under contract. By not "smoothing" players open for a new contract will get paid more and those under existing contracts will be penalized. The NBAPA is supposed to represent all the players interests equally. Smoothing would be by far the most equitable approach and avoid a very chaotic year or two as salaries adjust. I definitely see a prolonged strike in the near future. What a shame.

Similarly, they push back against minimum age increases, which again does not advocate for the current union members. Having an age cap protects current members interests by keeping more positions in the league available.

I agree, but this isn't a surprise at all. Remember how badly the player's union got beat during the last round of negotiations? You only get handled like that if you have serious problems. This fiasco is just the latest sign that there isn't any good organization over there. I don't think the powerful players will be impacted by this -- in fact, it may further solidify their personal wealth and influence -- but there are a lot of players who will feel slighted, and that's not good for the kind of organizing that unions have to do.

You would have assumed everyone under a rookie contract and everyone under a contract at least with three years left on it would have been in favor of smoothing. This tells me that a select few big name athletes wield too much influence over the entire union.

Larry Coon (CBA expert) shared some thoughts on the matter, some of which are embedded in this article:

https://www.sbnation.com/2015/3/11/8192081/nba-salary-cap-smoothing-2016-players-union

In going along with WhiskyPriest's post, this is why it's a bad idea for LeBron James to be the first vice president with a fellow star like CP3 as president. I find it hard to believe that the players are even close to being truly unanimous in their opposition to any sort of smoothing.

You would have assumed everyone under a rookie contract and everyone under a contract at least with three years left on it would have been in favor of smoothing. This tells me that a select few big name athletes wield too much influence over the entire union.

That is what I heard on the radio, the rich will get richer. And bad for small market teams. Not good.

There were some stories from the last lockout about a couple of team representatives that liked an idea that was not in line with the union leadership. The players were told to sit down and shut up. one of them talked about the threats of physical violence against him. I also remember another player saying that he was clueless about the union that he was forced to join and didn't know what they were doing to keep him from working.

Another story--the jazz took Dwill over cp3. Not based on talent or projections but because of the people Chrissy had managing him. Chrissy is not a guy is like to hang with.

I don't know much about labor relations, but it appears that the NBAPU is taking steps to dig in their heels and are posturing for an aggressive attack based negotiation. I thinkthe owners should takes steps to undermine the union and work behind the scenes to find was to divide the players and give a voice to the players excluded from union leadership.

Too bad the nba is about drama rather than true sport, but if it has to be drama, it should be good drama.

That is what I heard on the radio, the rich will get richer. And bad for small market teams. Not good.

Small market teams will be fine. The Cap is being raised from TV money. The Jazz will get a slice of that. I'm more curious about how Cleveland will pay all of its players big time max money deals.

I'm curious how all this will shake out with the Jazz. Do the Jazz have any contracts expiring at the same time this deal is?

Small market teams will be fine. The Cap is being raised from TV money. The Jazz will get a slice of that. I'm more curious about how Cleveland will pay all of its players big time max money deals.

I'm curious how all this will shake out with the Jazz. Do the Jazz have any contracts expiring at the same time this deal is?

The previously capped-out, big-market teams are going to have fun with free agency in the summer of 2016. It's hard enough to compete with big market teams even when a small market team has more money to spend. But if everyone has lots of cap space, the FAs will flock to the big-market teams first.

Do the agents of the players benefit from the cap spike? If the agent's don't get a hold of the bonus money in the "smoothing" plan, they would have advocated for a cap spike.

The previously capped-out, big-market teams are going to have fun with free agency in the summer of 2016. It's hard enough to compete with big market teams even when a small market team has more money to spend. But if everyone has lots of cap space, the FAs will flock to the big-market teams first.

This is true. The large market teams will definitely benefit in the short term. The Jazz were not going to get any of the big names anyway. We never do.

This is bad news for the Jazz because there is a very good chance of a lockout.

That means Jazz will make the playoffs and look really good and ready to start hitting their stride and then the lockout hits.

This is good news because the Jazz set themselves up for this nicely. They will have lots of good contracts. Especially if we get 1 max contract this off season or a couple good players signed for as long as possible.

This is bad news for the Jazz because there is a very good chance of a lockout.

That means Jazz will make the playoffs and look really good and ready to start hitting their stride and then the lockout hits.

This is good news because the Jazz set themselves up for this nicely. They will have lots of good contracts. Especially if we get 1 max contract this off season or a couple good players signed for as long as possible.

When is the current CBA up? I think it will be a strike, not a lockout. I also think it is odd that the union would disregard the players under contract, and then demand unity under a strike. Not the wisest of strategies...

One good thing about the spike is that it will screw over big market teams. They aren't run well, they will all rush out and give B level players these HUGE contracts, immediately eat up all their new found cap space and screw themselves over ala New York and Brooklyn.

One good thing about the spike is that it will screw over big market teams. They aren't run well, they will all rush out and give B level players these HUGE contracts, immediately eat up all their new found cap space and screw themselves over ala New York and Brooklyn.

I can definitely see this...

So who are the Jazz maxing out this off season? Jazz need to use all there cap space because it's going to be hard to sign a fa for the next few years after 2016. Jazz need to max out an unresisted fa

This is pure speculation. It's possible, but very far from a foregone conclusion. I think a lot of people learned from the Brooklyn experiment, and Phil isn't going to run things in a traditional Knickerbocker way.

EDIT TO ADD: I'd be very surprised if small-market teams didn't turn out the net losers in this whole affair. Very.

Will this happen? Maybe. But some already-stacked team (maybe more than one) is going to be able to add a star player first.