What's new

Net Neutrality

It is a disaster for the consumer. Hopefully Ajit Pai gropes someone SOON so that people pay more attention.

net nuetrality rules are heavily backed by an ACTUAL nazi called george soros, he wants to control the internet, so yeah no thanks!

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAOLAAAAJGY5ODQ2ZWIzLTVhOTAtNGI5Yy05NWNhLWJlY2E1ZTgwNzQ5ZQ.jpg

aaah yeah!

Serious Q: Can anyone explain to me how killing net neutrality is a good thing? I'm a fairly pro free-market kinda guy, but the Internet seems like a public utility to me.

Serious Q: Can anyone explain to me how killing net neutrality is a good thing? I'm a fairly pro free-market kinda guy, but the Internet seems like a public utility to me.

Quick Google search gave me this:
Cons of net neutrality regulation
  • Regulation imposing net neutrality would limit new business ideas and concepts and could be considered against free market rules.
  • Sponsored content and “pay-to-play” schemes may go against the net neutrality spirit, but they can help companies improve the overall service they offer. Heavier internet users may be charged more. With that extra money ISPs could increase the bandwith for all internet users.
  • Thanks to sponsorships some mobile telecom operators may offer free internet access to some contents. This may enable those who don’t have data contracts on their smartphones to surf some areas in the internet for free. Similarly, it would reduce the consumption of other users’ data allotments.
  • Regulation for net neutrality may limit the tools of governments and ISPs to fight against online “piracy”. Material infringing copyright laws will be easilty shared using P2P software. ISPs or governments won't be able to block or filter these contents, if net neutrality is fully respeced. Similarly net neutrality rules make more difficult to monitor and control controversial adult content.
  • Some defenders of net neutrality question government intervention. For them it should emerge organically or naturally but not imposed through laws.

If the nightmare scenarios outlined by pro net neutrality supports plays out then laws can be changed. I doubt Comcast and Verizon are rubbing their hands together imagining how they can ruin the internet.

I bet it isn't going to be 1/10th as bad as people are imagining it will be. But still, ideologically, I'm strongly in favor of net neutrality.

Bet I'll hardly notice a difference.

If the nightmare scenarios outlined by anti obamacare supports plays out then laws can be changed. I

paying thousands of dollars a month in healthcare premiiums is happening. yet it takes time to change those laws.

i have learned something throughout history only way laws change is when countries get completely destroyed like Germany in 1945 for example. then all laws come off the books and written again.

or countries get created example 1776 in usa!

only laws that come of the books is laws that limit government power.
never ever are laws changed that give government more power. in this case power over the internet!

but you wont reply because people in here, dont ever want to hear a counter argument. they want everyone to think the same and sing kumbaya, no diversity of thought allowed!

If the nightmare scenarios outlined by pro net neutrality supports plays out then laws can be changed. I doubt Comcast and Verizon are rubbing their hands together imagining how they can ruin the internet.

I bet it isn't going to be 1/10th as bad as people are imagining it will be. But still, ideologically, I'm strongly in favor of net neutrality.

Bet I'll hardly notice a difference.

I think it won't fall far from expectations. It'll happen over time; at first you don't notice anything. Then it's the Internet triple play; Web Browsing, Streaming, and Gaming. Then you'll go look for your favorite blogging or content specific news site(say, Slashdot.org), and realize you can't get to it. After a few months of clicking it randomly to see if it comes back up, it auto-routes you to tech.bing.com instead.

The potential for how bad this could be, I think is actually understated in main stream society.

I think it won't fall far from expectations. It'll happen over time; at first you don't notice anything. Then it's the Internet triple play; Web Browsing, Streaming, and Gaming. Then you'll go look for your favorite blogging or content specific news site(say, Slashdot.org), and realize you can't get to it. After a few months of clicking it randomly to see if it comes back up, it auto-routes you to tech.bing.com instead.

The potential for how bad this could be, I think is actually understated in main stream society.
I highly highly doubt any of what you're saying comes true. Highly.

I'm sure Comcast will make clear that they will not be blocking content, will not be re-routing users. The second that starts happening legislation will pass to make it illegal to do that. I'm not skurred.

We'll see man. But the way the legislation is looking now, all of it can. The path to all of that is there.

I'm not cool with that.

We'll see man. But the way the legislation is looking now, all of it can. The path to all of that is there.

I'm not cool with that.
Yeah, the path to that is there, right until they go down that path, then the law changes because people aren't cool with being blocked for political or commercial reasons from going to the sites they want to go to. And the second someone tries to go to their favorite echo chamber but gets redirected to the enemy echo chamber it's going to be armed rebellion.

Yeah, the path to that is there, right until they go down that path, then the law changes because people aren't cool with being blocked for political or commercial reasons from going to the sites they want to go to. And the second someone tries to go to their favorite echo chamber but gets redirected to the enemy echo chamber it's going to be armed rebellion.
ooh really?

this is happening right now. twitter stock is dropping!
because "right wing racist" get deverified.

while left wing racist who call for white genocide get to keep their blue check mark!

same with google. right wing and conservatives are driven off the youtube! but they are going elsewhere, they are starting their own stuff. addpocalypse happened bro!

the free market is already tkaing care of this without LAWS

I highly highly doubt any of what you're saying comes true. Highly.

I'm sure Comcast will make clear that they will not be blocking content, will not be re-routing users. The second that starts happening legislation will pass to make it illegal to do that. I'm not skurred.
lmfao