What's new

Nets just fired Avery Johnson

Wow, Torrey Ellis strikes again. And this time Torrey was 'injured' for just one game to make it happen.

Shaun Powell @Powell2daPeople 1 minute ago
Avery Johnson was coach of the month in November, but that was 27 days ago. Long time.

Media is killing Torrey--I love it.

Shaun Powell @Powell2daPeople about 6 minutes ago
With Avery Johnson getting ax, Deron Williams has claimed 2 more NBA coaches than NBA titles.

Sam Amico @SamAmicoFSO about 5 minutes ago
Nets fire Avery Johnson. Coach-killer Deron Williams gettin' work done.

Frank Isola @FisolaNYDN 4 minutes ago
Five years from now Deron Williams will say he enjoyed playing in Avery Johnson's system

Reggie Miller @ReggieMillerTNT about 5 minutes ago
So will coaching change for Nets improve Deron Williams shooting percentage??

PJ Carlisimo will be the interim coach---that could end really well! Atleast the Nets understand the whole interim idea.

Already calls for Jerry or Nate McMillian to be the next head coach.

Jerry vindicated?

Last edited:
im in the camp that thinks Coach Sloan quit when he found out KOC was gonna trade Deron, so I would LOVE to see him coaching in BK!!

im in the camp that thinks Coach Sloan quit when he found out KOC was gonna trade Deron...

mars_Buzz+Aldrin_Tent.JPG

Who do they hire? Stan Van yells, so he's out. Nate McMill is basically Avery. Phil wouldn't touch that team with a ten foot pole. Any ideas? They need a yes man to keep Willy happy. I know, let's give them Corbin!

I really doubt this is Deron's fault, but it looks bad for sure. Wonder if he'll get traded now. Of course if this IS due to Deron's attitude, BK just chose player over coach.

Another good stinger....

'Deron is just keeping up with Dwight, now they both have two notches'

...and zero titles.

Whether Deron did this or not doesn't matter. He is now labeled, and guilty until he proves himself innocent.

From Avery Johnson, Jr:

"I'm sorry are best players couldn't make open shots. Yeah that's my dads fault totally..."

Education is a bitch, yo!

No doubt in my mind it had to do with Deron. He will of course play the, "Feel sorry for me" card when it comes to being interviewed. The Deron Williams trade just keeps getting better and better for Utah.

im in the camp that thinks Coach Sloan quit when he found out KOC was gonna trade Deron, so I would LOVE to see him coaching in BK!!
I think you have your facts mixed up. Jerry wanted Deron suspended. KOC/Greg refused. Jerry tendered his resignation shortly thereafter.

It was widely reported KOC and Greg tried to KEEP Sloan by telling him they'd shop Deron. They met with him in the locker room, but were unable to change Sloan's mind. It was a week later when KOC talked to NJ about a trade. In fact, AK was the reason for the phone call, but NJ wasn't interested. By KOC's own account, he then asked NJ if they'd be interested in anyone else on the roster and to make an offer.

I would prefer Avery over Corbin. Avery might give us a defensive identity. He would also fit in with the people of Utah... ya'know with the whole lover-scorned mentality that we have with D-Will. In fact, I'm starting to think he might be a perfect fit.

Avery!?!?!?!?!? SERIOIUSLY!?!?
Did you guys see the BKN game versus the Jazz? They ran like 50% gaurd ISOs....and 30% Jazz plays....
Watchin Avery basketball will make you puke.

EDIT- A defensive attitude?!?!? Go outside and check out what Avery's defensive rating is.

Avery!?!?!?!?!? SERIOIUSLY!?!?
Did you guys see the BKN game versus the Jazz? They ran like 50% gaurd ISOs....and 30% Jazz plays....
Watchin Avery basketball will make you puke.

EDIT- A defensive attitude?!?!? Go outside and check out what Avery's defensive rating is.

Let me defend my admittedly cynical claim...

Here is my thought process Avery would improve our defensive schemes (I'm banking on his defensive first mentality giving us an "identity"), however, his offense would be extremely bland (a ton of isos). The thing is is that right now the Jazz's offense involves Al forcing push shots and volume shooting. Also, Avery runs guard isos because he has Johnson and Williams (his best players)... If he coached the jazz, his offense would more than likely become isos with Al (his best player)... Thus our offense probably wouldn't change that much.

Granted, I don't want Avery Johnson as our coach... I just want the Jazz to change from whatever mentality they've adopted since Sloan left. I' think I'm just becoming extremely cynical about the direction of this organization. I apologize.

Let me defend my admittedly cynical claim...

Here is my thought process Avery would improve our defensive schemes (I'm banking on his defensive first mentality giving us an "identity"), however, his offense would be extremely bland (a ton of isos). The thing is is that right now the Jazz's offense involves Al forcing push shots and volume shooting. Also, Avery runs guard isos because he has Johnson and Williams (his best players)... If he coached the jazz, his offense would more than likely become isos with Al (his best player)... Thus our offense probably wouldn't change that much.

Granted, I don't want Avery Johnson as our coach... I just want the Jazz to change from whatever mentality they've adopted since Sloan left. I' think I'm just becoming extremely cynical about the direction of this organization. I apologize.

No need to apologize.
Avery is a terrible coach, he deserved to be fired. I just wanted to make that clear.