Nets just fired Avery Johnson

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by udflyer, Dec 27, 2012.

1. udflyer

udflyer Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2010
    here's hoping we get in the spirit and fire Ty

2. r_u_s_t_b_u_c_k_e_t

r_u_s_t_b_u_c_k_e_t Well-Known Member Contributor

Jun 1, 2010
    Deron strikes again!

3. mellow

mellow Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Wow, Torrey Ellis strikes again. And this time Torrey was 'injured' for just one game to make it happen.

4. mellow

mellow Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Media is killing Torrey--I love it.

PJ Carlisimo will be the interim coach---that could end really well! Atleast the Nets understand the whole interim idea.

Already calls for Jerry or Nate McMillian to be the next head coach.

Jerry vindicated?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  5. PrinceJL

PrinceJL Member

May 26, 2010
    im in the camp that thinks Coach Sloan quit when he found out KOC was gonna trade Deron, so I would LOVE to see him coaching in BK!!

6. orangello

orangello Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2011
    I would like that too.

7. r_u_s_t_b_u_c_k_e_t

r_u_s_t_b_u_c_k_e_t Well-Known Member Contributor

Jun 1, 2010
    [​IMG]

WhiskyPriest likes this.
  8. Beantown

Beantown Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
  9. crater77

crater77 Active Member

May 27, 2010
    Who do they hire? Stan Van yells, so he's out. Nate McMill is basically Avery. Phil wouldn't touch that team with a ten foot pole. Any ideas? They need a yes man to keep Willy happy. I know, let's give them Corbin!

10. MoTappin

MoTappin Active Member

Dec 14, 2011
    I really doubt this is Deron's fault, but it looks bad for sure. Wonder if he'll get traded now. Of course if this IS due to Deron's attitude, BK just chose player over coach.

11. mellow

mellow Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Another good stinger....

'Deron is just keeping up with Dwight, now they both have two notches'

...and zero titles.

Whether Deron did this or not doesn't matter. He is now labeled, and guilty until he proves himself innocent.

12. bigb

bigb Free at last!!! Contributor

May 26, 2010
    From Avery Johnson, Jr:

Education is a bitch, yo!

13. kwb

kwb Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    No doubt in my mind it had to do with Deron. He will of course play the, "Feel sorry for me" card when it comes to being interviewed. The Deron Williams trade just keeps getting better and better for Utah.

14. green

green Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Any reason why Utah shouldn't be calling Avery right now?

15. Stifle Tower

Stifle Tower Punch Bowl Re-Filler

Jun 3, 2010
    I think you have your facts mixed up. Jerry wanted Deron suspended. KOC/Greg refused. Jerry tendered his resignation shortly thereafter.

It was widely reported KOC and Greg tried to KEEP Sloan by telling him they'd shop Deron. They met with him in the locker room, but were unable to change Sloan's mind. It was a week later when KOC talked to NJ about a trade. In fact, AK was the reason for the phone call, but NJ wasn't interested. By KOC's own account, he then asked NJ if they'd be interested in anyone else on the roster and to make an offer.

16. WhiskyPriest

WhiskyPriest Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    I would prefer Avery over Corbin. Avery might give us a defensive identity. He would also fit in with the people of Utah... ya'know with the whole lover-scorned mentality that we have with D-Will. In fact, I'm starting to think he might be a perfect fit.

17. Weezur

Weezur Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Avery!?!?!?!?!? SERIOIUSLY!?!?
    Did you guys see the BKN game versus the Jazz? They ran like 50% gaurd ISOs....and 30% Jazz plays....
    Watchin Avery basketball will make you puke.

EDIT- A defensive attitude?!?!? Go outside and check out what Avery's defensive rating is.

18. WhiskyPriest

WhiskyPriest Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Let me defend my admittedly cynical claim...

Here is my thought process Avery would improve our defensive schemes (I'm banking on his defensive first mentality giving us an "identity"), however, his offense would be extremely bland (a ton of isos). The thing is is that right now the Jazz's offense involves Al forcing push shots and volume shooting. Also, Avery runs guard isos because he has Johnson and Williams (his best players)... If he coached the jazz, his offense would more than likely become isos with Al (his best player)... Thus our offense probably wouldn't change that much.

Granted, I don't want Avery Johnson as our coach... I just want the Jazz to change from whatever mentality they've adopted since Sloan left. I' think I'm just becoming extremely cynical about the direction of this organization. I apologize.

19. Weezur

Weezur Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    No need to apologize.
    Avery is a terrible coach, he deserved to be fired. I just wanted to make that clear.