What's new

New Assistant - Irv Roland

I asked for an assistant with experience so now I’ll have to google WTF Irv is. I’ll be an expert within the hour and I’ll let you know.

It’s really a shame we don’t have DL anymore because I would have loved hearing his tangential nonsense on how everyone is clamoring for a Harden stopper and they brought in the guy who was the mastermind behind Harden and how Irv will be our Harden stopper in the finals.

This feels like New Yorks Johnny Bryant hiring. Bryant helped make Gordon into a max player and then followed up with Spida.

Irv took Harden from 6th man of the year to a top offensive player in the league. I am not sure who else he developed but it feels like we are trying to replace what Johnny brought with a guy who may be able to help spida grow a level or two.

Last edited:
This feels like New Yorks Johnny Bryant hiring. Bryant helped make Gordon into a max player and then followed up with Spida.

Irv took Harden from 6th man of the year to a top offensive player in the league. I am not sure who else he developed but it feels like we are trying to replace what Johnny brought with a guy who may be able to help spida grow a level or two.
Loved Johnny B. If we can replace some of that mojo with Irv I'll be a happy guy.

Sent from my CPH1907 using JazzFanz mobile app

God I hope he meets Infection's criteria for an assistant coach because I heard it was the most pressing issue this off-season.

God I hope he meets Infection's criteria for an assistant coach because I heard it was the most pressing issue this off-season.
Nah, the most pressing **** of the offseason—and specifically the best way to use JFC during this time—was the all-time NFL draft. So, yeah, infection was wrong.

Second place was ranking all draft prospects in tiers through or beyond the 2nd round... and then flexing on JFC about how right you are.

Coach was a problem last year. Plain as the nose on your face. When there’s a squabble between the coach and the GM, then coaching is a ****ing problem.

So, nobody has found the inside scoop on Irv? Are we going with the story that he’s our “switch guy”?

Seems like a hiring for Donovan. He’s big into activism and two years ago was referred to by James Harden as his “secret weapon.” Does a lot of personal training with Durant, Harden, etc.

Seems like a really good hire then I guess.

And he probably did not come cheap
Smith probably paying him a lot for an assistant

So, nobody has found the inside scoop on Irv? Are we going with the story that he’s our “switch guy”?
He’s Donovan’s friend. That’s why he was hired. They are quite tight. I’ve seen him on Donovan’s IG story multiple times in the past year. There’s your answer everyone. I also saw Irv was wearing a Utah logo polo during summer league in Vegas, so kinda expected this was coming.

Irv is a well respected assistant across the league. I think he’s a good addition and he can do the job well so that’s a big part of it, but if you want to know the side reasoning, it’s again to appease the crybaby. You can like or dislike player “empowerment” but letting one guy become the dictator of your entire organization has real potential to end badly. PS when does Rudy get a shot at getting what he wants?

He’s Donovan’s friend. That’s why he was hired. They are quite tight. I’ve seen him on Donovan’s IG story multiple times in the past year. There’s your answer everyone. I also saw Irv was wearing a Utah logo polo during summer league in Vegas, so kinda expected this was coming.

Irv is a well respected assistant across the league. I think he’s a good addition, but if you want to know the main reasoning, it’s again to appease the crybaby.
We’ll it’s a good thing you got a breather by the Knicks not hiring him because you’d have to fire up a new thread on how Don is Instagram buddies with the new Knicks guy.

We’ll it’s a good thing you got a breather by the Knicks not hiring him because you’d have to fire up a new thread on how Don is Instagram buddies with the new Knicks guy.
There’s a balance in giving your franchise guy input, vs just letting him dictate every decision you’re making. I think the Jazz are trying to find that balance right now. I like the Irv hiring. The obvious reasoning is Donovan’s appeasement. Hiring’s like this are also a decent sign there’s no major rumblings Donovan is completely out within the next few years. Paschall, Irv, Forrest, etc. are all somewhat signs there’s a comfortability he will be here for a bit. I think Irv could get a job in multiple other places.

There’s a balance in giving your franchise guy input, vs just letting him dictate every decision you’re making. I think the Jazz are trying to find that balance right now. I like the Irv hiring. The obvious reasoning is Donovan’s appeasement. Hiring’s like this are also a decent sign there’s no major rumblings Donovan is completely out within the next few years. Paschall, Irv, Forrest, etc. are all somewhat signs there’s a comfortability he will be here for a bit. I think Irv could get a job in multiple other places.
How could he be here for a bit when you’ve already promised us he’d be out by whatever date?

Irv is a well respected assistant across the league. I think he’s a good addition and he can do the job well so that’s a big part of it, but if you want to know the side reasoning, it’s again to appease the crybaby. You can like or dislike player “empowerment” but letting one guy become the dictator of your entire organization has real potential to end badly. PS when does Rudy get a shot at getting what he wants?
Rudy had DeSagana Diop.