What's new

""No Gay Marriage" -- God" -- Religious nutjobs

Harambe

Contributor
Found this little wonder today:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/20/illinois-tornadoes-gay-marriage-_n_4309957.html

Robert Ritchie, Executive Director of America Needs Fatima, a project of the right-wing American Society for the Defense of Tradition, Family, and Property, has linked the deadly tornadoes to Illnois' approval of same-sex marriage earlier this month.

The massive tornadoes that hit Illinois after the passing of the same sex “marriage” bill, has stimulated many people to reflection.

In it, some see God’s chastisement; others see it as yet one more merciful warning from Providence; others yet deny both options and give various reasons.

That's right, in 2013 people are still using forces of nature to try and strengthen their own opinions. We've come so far as a people...

In 1997 I was a Freshman in high school taking LDS Seminary. My then Seminary teacher once told us that although Utah has been projected to have a "huge" Earthquake anytime now, we haven't. And we haven't because the amount of Earthquakes an area has is directly related to the amount of sinning being done.

Anyone else have observations of religious folks telling tall tales like this?

Pat Robertson, huge mega church telvangelist kind of guy, blamed that earthquake in hait a few years ago on their lifestlye. Said it was Gods wrath or judgement or something. I bet my last dollar that 80% of Haiti is more religious deep in their soul then Pat Robertson.

Scumbags. The view they have of God is not one that I have or will ever have.

Found this little wonder today:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/20/illinois-tornadoes-gay-marriage-_n_4309957.html

Robert Ritchie, Executive Director of America Needs Fatima, a project of the right-wing American Society for the Defense of Tradition, Family, and Property, has linked the deadly tornadoes to Illnois' approval of same-sex marriage earlier this month.

That's right, in 2013 people are still using forces of nature to try and strengthen their own opinions. We've come so far as a people...

In 1997 I was a Freshman in high school taking LDS Seminary. My then Seminary teacher once told us that although Utah has been projected to have a "huge" Earthquake anytime now, we haven't. And we haven't because the amount of Earthquakes an area has is directly related to the amount of sinning being done.

Anyone else have observations of religious folks telling tall tales like this?

This is not just an LDS thing. This is an all religion thing. This is something that's been practiced since well forever. Read the bible, you'll even find plenty of it in there. Thread over.

This is not just an LDS thing. This is an all religion thing. This is something that's been practiced since well forever. Read the bible, you'll even find plenty of it in there. Thread over.

Agreed. I do not agree with these people, but there are numerous examples of these things happening in the bible. It is a justifiable reason in their minds.

I don't think I claimed it was just an LDS thing. America Needs Fatima isn't LDS at all. I only used what I've experienced to share.

Get off my Kool-aid, bra!

I can't remember whether I've shared this story or not, but at one point I was talking to a guy who was with Campus Crusade for Christ. He believed the Bible was literally true in every respect. So I asked him how Methuselah could have lived to be 969 years old, as the Bible says. He immediately gave this explanation. When God created the world, he separated the waters above from the waters below (Genesis), meaning that the sky was actually a dome of water. When the flood of Noah came, that dome broke, and all the water above fell onto the earth, flooding the entire planet. And now that there's no dome of water protecting us, we can no longer live to be 1,000 years old, because the ultra-violet rays are killing us.

I wish I was making that one up, but I'm not. The dude really believed it. These folks just live in their own little happy place. There's just no reasoning with them.

I can't remember whether I've shared this story or not, but at one point I was talking to a guy who was with Campus Crusade for Christ. He believed the Bible was literally true in every respect. So I asked him how Methuselah could have lived to be 969 years old, as the Bible says. He immediately gave this explanation. When God created the world, he separated the waters above from the waters below (Genesis), meaning that the sky was actually a dome of water. When the flood of Noah came, that dome broke, and all the water above fell onto the earth, flooding the entire planet. And now that there's no dome of water protecting us, we can no longer live to be 1,000 years old, because the ultra-violet rays are killing us.

I wish I was making that one up, but I'm not. The dude really believed it. These folks just live in their own little happy place. There's just no reasoning with them.

That's pretty impressive dude. I think you might have won the thread right there.

Now that you mention this topic I think I've had that conversation before as well, but it wasn't as grandiose as a water shield. In the version I was told, because of the inbreeding from the children of Adam and Eve the gene pool was corrupted, causing the lifeline of their offspring to be "retarded". As more and more generations passed, we lived fewer and fewer years.

Do I believe that is true? No.

Do I believe the Bible is true? Yes. Every single word.

And FYI, I am also involved with Campus Crusade for Christ (CRU). It's a good organization.

Do I believe that is true? No.

Do I believe the Bible is true? Yes. Every single word.

And FYI, I am also involved with Campus Crusade for Christ (CRU). It's a good organization.

I think when people try to take a literal interpretation of the bible they lessen their arguement. The bible is not an entirely literal text.

I think when people try to take a literal interpretation of the bible they lessen their arguement. The bible is not an entirely literal text.

Look, I get that Methusalh living to 900+ years sounds crazy...it does. But at the end of the day, I believe that my Savior was born of a virgin, died and rose again to save all of our sins. I know that it's crazy, but if it wasn't crazy, then it wouldn't be so difficult to have faith and believe.

And while there are several figures of speech in the Bible (parables, parts of Revelation, etc etc) for the most part, it is a literal text that is meant to be taken literal.

Why are you so defensive? He didn't even say the things you're claiming he did. And why should the fact that this sort of behavior is not exclusive to one religion end the discussion, anyway?

Edit: Just noticed that I'm late piling on. Penalty flag.

Last edited:
Look, I get that Methusalh living to 900+ years sounds crazy...it does. But at the end of the day, I believe that my Savior was born of a virgin, died and rose again to save all of our sins. I know that it's crazy, but if it wasn't crazy, then it wouldn't be so difficult to have faith and believe.

And while there are several figures of speech in the Bible (parables, parts of Revelation, etc etc) for the most part, it is a literal text that is meant to be taken literal.
Wow.