What's new

No more circumcision in SF?

Bronco70

world's worst
Contributor
https://www.sfexaminer.com/local/2011/02/san-francisco-circumcision-ban-headed-november-ballot

Most bans in San Francisco are enacted by the Board of Supervisors, but come November, it sounds like voters will have the opportunity to jump on the ban wagon by deciding whether to ban male circumcision.

San Francisco resident Lloyd Schofield said Thursday he is “on track” to have enough signatures to place his proposed measure on the November ballot that would make it illegal to “circumcise, excise, cut or mutilate the ********, ******** or ***** of another person who has not attained the age of 18.”

Schofield has until April 26 to submit 7,168 valid signatures to make it onto the ballot. He would not disclose how many signatures were collected at this point.

Schofield said he became the proponent of the local ballot measure after being asked to champion a local bill during a July symposium on circumcision held at the UC Berkeley. Schofield said he was approached by those affiliated with a group pushing for a federal bill to “end male genital mutilation in the U.S.,” according to its website, mgmbill.org.

He said he thought about it for two weeks and then decided to do it. “I always knew this was something wrong to do to a child,” he said.

The signature-gathering is being run by a committee of about 10, he said. Schofield would not divulge the identities of the committee members, but said several are spending their own money to pay for signature-gatherers to help out. Schofield said he is out there himself — not being paid — collecting the signatures outside grocery stores and in neighborhoods like SoMa, the Castro, the Haight and Noe Valley.

“We say: ‘Would you like to help protect the children from forced circumcision? This is a human-rights issue,’” Schofield said.

The proposed measure would assess of up to $1,000 and up to one year in jail for someone who performs a circumcision.

I agree. This should not be done without the consent of the person it's being done to.

So children have rights to not be circumsized but they don't have rights to not be aborted? Fascinating....

you know bloody well that there is a difference between a new-born child and the mass of cells that might have been accidentally conceived by two persons with a hell of a lot on the line. Unwanted pregnancies can have some serious ****ing consequences, man.

you know bloody well that there is a difference between a new-born child and the mass of cells that might have been accidentally conceived by two persons with a hell of a lot on the line. Unwanted pregnancies can have some serious ****ing consequences, man.

The part they circumcise is just an unwanted mass of cells.

Did you hear about the doctor that saved all the foreskins he removed over the years? He made a wallet out of them. When you rub it, it turns into a suitcase.

I think of circumcision as more of a health issue, but I know that's a highly debated topic in the medical field:

The use of circumcision for medical or health reasons is an issue that continues to be debated. Currently, the American Academy of Pediatrics does not recommend routine circumcision for newborn males stating the evidence was not significant enough to prove the operation's benefit. The procedure may be recommended in older boys and men to treat phimosis (the inability to retract the ********) or to treat an infection of the *****.

It seems that younger people won't have much problem if not circumcized, but I guess Phimosis and infections are more likely once you enter adulthood. At first glance, I guess it would make sense to allow people to choose at the age of 18, but then they go on to say this:

The procedure becomes more complicated and riskier in older babies, children, and men.

as well as...

....in infants the procedure takes about five to 10 minutes. Adult circumcision takes about one hour. The circumcision generally heals in five to seven days.

I can't speak for anybody else's ***** out there, so I'll just speak for mine. I'm glad I had it done as an infant. I see it as preventitive maintenance that will help avoid problems in the future, as well as making it so I didn't have to go in as an adult to have a riskier procedure and deal with a hacked up dong for a week.

I can't speak for anybody else's ***** out there, so I'll just speak for mine. I'm glad I had it done as an infant. I see it as preventitive maintenance that will help avoid problems in the future, as well as making it so I didn't have to go in as an adult to have a riskier procedure and deal with a hacked up dong for a week.

This. My guess is that circumcision rates would drop by 90%+ if left until the age of 18 or older.

The part they circumcise is just an unwanted mass of cells.

I won't disagree with you here, because that would be besides the point. The point is that a distinction can be made concerning WHO doesn't want the cells. I'm not taking a stance one way or the other about that.... but can you afford full liberal freedoms to a handful of undifferentiated cells?

I won't disagree with you here, because that would be besides the point. The point is that a distinction can be made concerning WHO doesn't want the cells. I'm not taking a stance one way or the other about that.... but can you afford full liberal freedoms to a handful of undifferentiated cells?

Well it would be kinda hard for them to vote and such as.

Actually, I don't know.

When does this mass of cells have rights? When it starts to have a heart beat? Or when it's actually born out of the womb?

Calm yourself before I blind you with facts fool, most body systems form in the first 4 weeks after conception. Heartbeat begins 18-24 days after. Brain waves after the first 6 weeks.

A lil more than just a junkheap of cells I'd say!

I understand cases of unwanted pregnancies when all the two adults wanted to do was jackpot. Or if someone forces their jackpotting on an unconsenting person.

But that doesn't justify killing "that mass of cells."

There's always the option of adoption. Even in cases of rape, incest, unwanted pregnancies, etc, one can always give the baby up for adoption. Besides, most abortions are done to those who just don't want to face the consequences of their jackpotting. In here's the stasticial breakdown from a study in 2005 on why women get abortions. Beware folks, the responses may surprise you. Don't say I didn't warn ya! Naos, don't wet your diaper, pretty scary stuff:

74% felt "having a baby would dramatically change my life" (which includes interrupting education, interfering with job and career, and/or concern over other children or dependents)
73% felt they "can't afford a baby now" (due to various reasons such as being unmarried, being a student, inability to afford childcare or basic needs of life, etc.)
48% "don't want to be a single mother or [were] having relationship problem"
38% "have completed [their] childbearing"
32% were "not ready for a(nother) child"
25% "don't want people to know I had sex or got pregnant"
22% "don't feel mature enough to raise a(nother) child"
14% felt their "husband or partner wants me to have an abortion"
13% said there were "possible problems affecting the health of the fetus"
12% said there were "physical problems with my health"
6% felt their "parents want me to have an abortion"
1% said they were "a victim of rape"

Very few cases of physical problems or rape nonsense.

Just selfishness.

Selfishness does not give someone permission to terminate life. Give the baby up for adoption.

Further proof on how out of touch SF is.

Run away and give us another copy of Mein Kampf from your undisclosed university and job. LOL.

Stuffing your ears full of facts, hell, maybe I should become a professor too?!

Domination booooo yeah!

So children have rights to not be circumsized but they don't have rights to not be aborted? Fascinating....

If you want to pass a law that says every fetus has to be extracted live, fine. Otherwise, the right of the fetus, even if they are considered fully people, don't overrule the rights of the woman carrying it.

Calm yourself before I blind you with facts fool, most body systems form in the first 4 weeks after conception. Heartbeat begins 18-24 days after. Brain waves after the first 6 weeks.

So, that brings it all the way up to the level of an ant. Wow. Are a member of PETA as well?

I don't need to have a non-selfish reason to refuse to donate blood. A woman doesn't need a nonselfish reason to lend out her womb.