What's new

Off season

dwill#1

The Jazz have many options this offeason. In the D News The Jazz hope to lure one or more players from elsewhere, and a big man — according to O'Connor — is the highest priority.
List of options
1. The Jazz, O'Connor said, could use their traded-player exception obtained by dealing veteran small forward Matt Harpring to Oklahoma City last season to acquire via trade a player making up to $6.5 million.
2. They could dangle the future protected first-round draft choice they acquired from Memphis in last season's deal that sent former starting shooting guard Ronnie Brewer, now a restricted free agent, to the Grizzlies.
3. And they have a biannual exception that allows them to sign one or more free agents to deals of two years or less that have a combined salary of no more than $2.08 million for next season
4. They could involve themselves in sign-and-trade deals with under-the-cap teams involving Korver and/or Boozer. New Jersey is a possible destination for both,maybe a sign and trade both of them
5. They could possibly trade Tomic but I would say less than a 2% chance at doing that

6. We could trade a young, relatively cheaper player in Gordon Hayward.
WARNING WARNING WARNING ------------------DO NOT READ THIS POST IF YOU GET OFFENDED EASILY!----------------------WARNING WARNING WARNING

Gordon Hayward for Hassan Whiteside. We'd get a better player and a cheaper one. Good point. :) Get on this KOC,Greg & Gail.

If we had to trade Hayward to get a good-great player I'd listen to the offers. I don't hate the pick, I just wasn't expecting it even though Honz told me so.

Sorry Honz.

I still think that the Jazz are being extremely mindful of the next CBA and will not add significant long term salary unless it gets them an All-Star or border line All-Star (at slightly less money) a la the Gasol trade. Barring a trade like this, I think the best course of action for this summer is:
1) Do not re-sign Boozer. S&T is ok if it doesn't bring back significant long-term salary
2) Keep AK for the whole season and play him at PF a lot
3) Re-sign Korver (reasonable deal) or try to sign someone like Morrow; you can never have enough shooters
4) Re-sign Fes to a reasonable deal, this team needs size and length
5) Re-sign Matthews, pretty self explanatory
6) Play Fes and Koufos (and to a certain extent Hayward) a lot
7) Fill in the roster(minimum 2 more players, I believe) with guys like Gaines, Dragicevic (sp?) or a veteran 4/5 (for insurance, not a regular PT guy) on the cheap

I realize this may result in a the Jazz missing the playoffs, but really the team doesn't stand much of a chance of making it out of the first round anyways without making moves that add significant long term salary. With the above moves and certain players getting plenty of PT next year, at least the FO and fans know what kind of players they have and are in a great position to shape the team going into the new CBA. I think this team would play hard and fans would be happy to see a team giving its all every game and remind them of the 2003-04 team.

That being said, I can see the Jazz trading for a guy like Foster (expiring) to help the C position until Okur gets back as well as bringing in some other players to make sure they make the playoffs again. However, I don't think they want to go much over the luxury tax for a team that barely makes the playoffs. I just hope they don't do something like this.

Unless a larger salary is moved, a sign-and-trade with Boozer or using their trade-exception isn't realistic because the Jazz will ultimately will only have $2-3 million of wiggle room without going over the luxury tax. If they resign Korver that goes out the window. That's why I think we desperately should try to move Kirilenko, or else we'll be forced to stand-pat with the bulk of the roster.