All BYU fans except for Fish suck
:D
Lol.

Welcome to the thread. May it become the longest thread ever

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
Really doe, mangum and kai nacua have been getting lots of hype but honest to God, my mvp so far has been kafusi.
Dude is a beast. He is all over the place. He may not have tons of tackles and sacks but he is always pressuring the qb, getting doubled and sometimes even triple teamed, and forcing opposing offenses into poorly executed plays often.

So dumb that he was moved to linebacker last year.
He will be a solid nfl DE. Booker it

seattlejazzfan

Best part about the game on Saturday was that there were so many guys who could have been MVP. Juergens, Mangum and Hine on offense and Bronson, Nacua and Langi on defense. Langi looks like a guy who has a chance to be special.

RJF

UCLA has me a little nervous. Their DB's are much more athletic than Boise States so I don't the same Mangum magic happening. Hope I'm wrong but can't wait to find out!

Bronco70

world's worst
Staff member
Magnum has played well, but I'm wondering how well he'll sustain it as opponents acquire material to scout him.

scootsy

Magnum has played well, but I'm wondering how well he'll sustain it as opponents acquire material to scout him.
Biggest issue in my opinion, because with such little familiarity, coaches won't trust him to make complicated reads. Things will be simple, and eventually be easy to pick up on.

BYU needs to get first downs. Haven't done that since Taysom went down in the 3rd quarter week 1. Relying too much on chunk yardage off of broken plays.

Regardless, I'm flying down to LA Saturday morning with a hope that we can pull it off. The pathway to victory is minutely conceivable, the answer will be in the execution.

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
I just read an article that said that someone at the u of u did study and found that only 30% of college football teams end the season with the same qb that they start the season with, or something like that. (Actually I think it was that only 30% of college football teams have a qb that doesn't miss any games due to injury)

That is crazy.
I sure hope tanner stays healthy

seattlejazzfan

Mangum on Jim Rome, Stewart Mandel's top 5 Heisman, among others and now Grantland's lead story...

It is worth acknowledging the obvious here, which is that BYU isn’t like any other college football program in America, largely because BYU doesn’t resemble any other university in America. The run of success LaVell Edwards enjoyed in the 1970s and 1980s had a tremendous impact both on the future of college football — Edwards’s pass-heavy offensive scheme essentially prefigured the spread revolution of today — and on the public perception of the LDS faith, which is a large part of what BYU aspires to in fielding a major-college football team: The Cougars are a live-action advertisement for a religion.

And so it feels fitting that BYU’s hero of the moment is a backup quarterback who is 22 years old and returned from a Mormon mission to Chile only three months before the season started. That quarterback’s action-hero name is Tanner Mangum, and as with some of his predecessors at the position, he chose to serve his mission before he played football; heading into the season, he was firmly ensconced behind an electric signal-caller named Taysom Hill on the depth chart, but then in the opening game against Nebraska, Hill suffered a season-ending foot injury.

What’s happened next, as you may already know, has been bat**** crazy: Mangum threw a Hail Mary for the game winner against Nebraska, and then last Saturday against Boise State, he did it again; beyond that, he threw some beautiful bombs on the run against perhaps the best non-Power 5 program in the country. Suddenly, after years of dormancy and often just-plain-uninteresting football in the post-Edwards era, BYU is one of the most fascinating and joyful football teams in America, with a wide-open, fearless approach amid one of the toughest September scheduling runs in the country this season, and a coach named Bronco who crowd-surfs in the locker room. And it couldn’t have come at a more opportune time.
BYU is one of the most fascinating and joyful football teams in America

https://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-college-football-byu-cougars-tanner-mangum-hail-mary-wins/

Last edited:

seattlejazzfan

Mangum currently sitting at #24 in the country in passer rating with a 167.1.

For some perspective, Taysom Hill was at 131 in the Nebraska game before going down, Josh Rosen is at 142 (the powerhouse that is UNLV caused his to take a hit) and Travis Wilson at 121.

Sample size is small, but we can be encouraged.

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
Mangum currently sitting at #24 in the country in passer rating with a 167.1.

For some perspective, Taysom Hill was at 131 in the Nebraska game before going down, Josh Rosen is at 142 (the powerhouse that is UNLV caused his to take a hit) and Travis Wilson at 121.

Sample size is small, but we can be encouraged.
This surprises me. I wonder what his ranking would be without the hail Mary type throws

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
The publicity is nice right now...... The ucla game looms very large for any of this publicity to really matter

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
Byu needs a defensive score or special teams td to have a shot against ucla imo

Dr. Jones

In pursuit of #9
Contributor
I want whichever team to win that results in the losing team being most butt hurt.
So... Go Cougs?

seattlejazzfan

I want whichever team to win that results in the losing team being most butt hurt.
So... Go Cougs?
Definitely not BYU. BYU is a two TD+ underdog. Most BYU fans, while hopeful, expect to lose. If top 10, PAC12 power, UCLA, loses to BYU, they and their fans will be very much butt hurt.

seattlejazzfan

The publicity is nice right now...... The ucla game looms very large for any of this publicity to really matter
Yep, definitely one of those things where we have to enjoy the limelight while we can, because it is likely coming to a screeching halt this Saturday evening.