What's new

Our shot distribution (no, not that shot distribution)

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
I'm talking about who's taking our shots. Right now, here our are TS% leaders of our main guys:

1. Rudy 69.7%.
2. Bojan 58.9%
3. Donovan 54.9%.
4. Mike 48.3%.

Mike and Donovan being the lowest and combining for 33.4 FGA per game, while Bojan and Rudy combining for 22.4 FGA per game. We're seeing 50% more FGA from our least efficient guys. Conley and Mitchell will be driving into the lane with Gobert open and waiting for the lob, but not get it. They'll drive in with Bojan open in the corner holding his hands up and not getting the kick out. I can't claim that Bojan is doing a great job moving the ball, because it seems that by the time he gets the ball, he's been ignored in the offense long enough that he's going to create something when he gets it -- usually successfully. Since he's actually hitting his shots and doing a good job on creation overall, I guess I'm more willing to over look it. Rudy has been a monster. These guys are our most efficient scorers but are being fed the ball way less than their abilities warrant.

The ball has to move. I think Don and Mike set the tone for this, and I think Mike needs to do nothing but distribute the ball and spot up until he starts getting more comfortable. There really is no need to continue to have him create his way out of the slump. We can be patient with him coming to form. What I don't think I can be patient with is that coming at the cost of more efficient options for the time being. If he's missing spot ups, no big deal. If he's trying to create and missing floaters while Rudy is there for the lob or Bojan is in the corner, then that's no bueno.

Solution? Let's put Joe back in the starting lineup. I think he gets enough respect that it will force the ball out of Mitchell and Conley's hands a bit and getting other guys involved and it may be contagious.

I'm talking about who's taking our shots. Right now, here our are TS% leaders of our main guys:

1. Rudy 69.7%.
2. Bojan 58.9%
3. Donovan 54.9%.
4. Mike 48.3%.

Mike and Donovan being the lowest and combining for 33.4 FGA per game, while Bojan and Rudy combining for 22.4 FGA per game. We're seeing 50% more FGA from our least efficient guys. Conley and Mitchell will be driving into the lane with Gobert open and waiting for the lob, but not get it. They'll drive in with Bojan open in the corner holding his hands up and not getting the kick out. I can't claim that Bojan is doing a great job moving the ball, because it seems that by the time he gets the ball, he's been ignored in the offense long enough that he's going to create something when he gets it -- usually successfully. Since he's actually hitting his shots and doing a good job on creation overall, I guess I'm more willing to over look it. Rudy has been a monster. These guys are our most efficient scorers but are being fed the ball way less than their abilities warrant.

The ball has to move. I think Don and Mike set the tone for this, and I think Mike needs to do nothing but distribute the ball and spot up until he starts getting more comfortable. There really is no need to continue to have him create his way out of the slump. We can be patient with him coming to form. What I don't think I can be patient with is that coming at the cost of more efficient options for the time being. If he's missing spot ups, no big deal. If he's trying to create and missing floaters while Rudy is there for the lob or Bojan is in the corner, then that's no bueno.

Solution? Let's put Joe back in the starting lineup. I think he gets enough respect that it will force the ball out of Mitchell and Conley's hands a bit and getting other guys involved and it may be contagious.

Exactly. Whole summer everyone was super excited about the Conley Mitchell Joe Bojan Rudy line up. "How do you guard it?", "It's PnR with Rudy and three shooters so pick your poison, yadda, yadda.." Actually if you insert Royce in place of Joe the scheme stays the same. Yet it's not working and I agree that it's on both guards. Conley has to adjust. Donovan played mostly great that season so one can't blame him too much but last games he had tendency to play in the 4th like it's last year and he has to attack himself. Wish he would kick out the ball more when we finally have the shooters. Maybe you re right about putting Joe back in starting line up. Before the season I thought he would start because of the familiarity with the system. But I admire Royce's job on defense so it's a tough choice.

I kid... I agree specifically on Mike... we Don’t need him to go for 20/10... get into the offense then spot up or be a secondary/tertiary playmaker.

The ball needs to move more and I feel like that is primarily on DM.

One other small gripe with DM... it doesn’t happen super often but 1-2 times a week I feel like he goes for the overly ambitious sportscenter highlight dunk... rather than just taking what would be a fairly easy layup... get your dunks when they are there but no need to wind up to posterize someone when we can get the two and go the other way. It’s especially tricky for him to get those over guys in the half court because he’s a two foot leaper and it takes an extra hale step for him to wind up.

I thought Locke made an interesting point on yesterdays show about Royce. Basically he's the guy in the starting lineup that teams aren't guarding, so when we drive and kick out we usually kick out to him because he's open. The problem is Royce shoots less than anyone in the NBA, his field goal attempts per possession are not only the lowest in the league but are historically low according to Locke. Not only is he extremely hesitant to shoot when we kick it out to him but he's also not really good at driving and getting our "blender" offense going.

I'm in favor of bringing Joe back into the starting lineup. I think it would help the offense and also help Joe's shooting because he would get a lot more wide open catch and shoot 3's. I think the defense would be fine.

Why not bring Joe back in the starting lineup? I still don't understand why we haven't done it yet

I thought Locke made an interesting point on yesterdays show about Royce. Basically he's the guy in the starting lineup that teams aren't guarding, so when we drive and kick out we usually kick out to him because he's open. The problem is Royce shoots less than anyone in the NBA, his field goal attempts per possession are not only the lowest in the league but are historically low according to Locke. Not only is he extremely hesitant to shoot when we kick it out to him but he's also not really good at driving and getting our "blender" offense going.

I'm in favor of bringing Joe back into the starting lineup. I think it would help the offense and also help Joe's shooting because he would get a lot more wide open catch and shoot 3's. I think the defense would be fine.

I mean a coach could also tell the guy to ****ing shoot the three... he’s making the shot at 50% for hells sake... it ain’t like he’s Fultz out there... let it fly Royce.

I think we keep the starting lineup as is personally. Tell DM to pass more than he has the last few games and tell Royce to be ready to shoot... no more drives... fine him every time he pump-fakes and drives.

The starters with Joe instead of Royce are +10.3 per 100... the regular starting unit is +14.7 per 100...

The 1st quarter unit where Joe comes in for DM is +19.7 per 100...

Joe needs to get going, but I'm not convinced putting him in the starting unit is best for him or the team. The lineup data seems to point at a few people... Green, Niang, and Bradley. I know the individual numbers for Joe aren't near his standards but we are still good with him on the floor most of the time.

1. Rudy 69.7%.
2. Bojan 58.9%
3. Donovan 54.9%.
4. Mike 48.3%.

Great post and from my point of view the times we get Rudy the ball we're forcing it in instead of in the flow of the offense. There have multiple times a game when the driver misses him on the lob and forces up a highly contested shot. (Not to mention missing wide open perimeter guys.) Other teams have figured out when Rudy slides over to cover the driver the big is wide open at the rim. Why can't we? I love Donovan but at times he looks like he's trying to just get his own and Conley still looks lost about half of the time. I'm just praying once Exum gets integrated he can help with this. He has been decent at drawing and throwing the lob in the little bit of time he's been able to play the last couple of years.

Our offensive rating and net rating by quarter

1- 107 +10.4
2- 97 +2.4
3- 107 +4
4- 103.8 -3.4

Q2 lineups and Q4 lineups seem to struggle most. Donovan's numbers in the fourth quarter are putrid... I mean really bad. The iso-DM and force up shots offense isn't working well.

DM needs to make shots in the fourth quarter and I'm not sure the bench players plus DM is working... maybe swap leave DM in and sub Conley for Ingles... let Conley play around more with the bench guys?

I just think the starting lineup is the one thing that is definitely working right now... why change?

We need to run Bojan off the same screens that we set up for Joe. That's what they did for him in Indy. I know he has the ability to create, but there are times that we need to treat him as a first option.

Start Joe.

There was that sequence last night where they were firing the ball around the floor and I believe everyone touched the ball (or was about to) until it ended with Bojan going a little too strong on the pass to Gobert. I want to see more of that and that’s the lineup that needs to chemistry for the playoffs.

Start Joe.

There was that sequence last night where they were firing the ball around the floor and I believe everyone touched the ball (or was about to) until it ended with Bojan going a little too strong on the pass to Gobert. I want to see more of that and that’s the lineup that needs to chemistry for the playoffs.

I don't really agree with Lock that it's because he has the ball in his hands too much. I don't think we're letting him handle the ball enough, he definitely isn't handling it as much as he has the last couple of years. I still think the biggest problem is that there are too many ball stoppers in the second unit lineup and not nearly enough ball movement.

Last edited:
I don't really agree with Lock that it's because he has the ball in his hands too much. I don't think we're letting him handle the ball enough, he definitely isn't handling it as much as he has the last couple of years. I still think the biggest problem is that there are too many ball stoppers in the second unit lineup and not nearly enough ball movement.
Agree on that mostly. The argument of him with the bench because the bench sucks is stupid, because the bench is making him suck, too.