What's new

Pace and Favors

candrew

Watching games around the league the first week the one thing that stands out is pace of play.

Games are being played at an insane pace. Locket tweeted some stats yesterday.

Here are some numbers on possessions per game which illustrate my point. NOP had the most possessions per game last year - that same number would put them in the bottom fifth this year.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/possessions-per-game

The Pelicans-Kings game Friday night was basically a track meet.

I'm not worried about Gobert - he'll adjust. And I think The Jazz defense as a whole will eventually make the adjustment as well. But what impact does this have on Derrick Favors - Late in the 3rd period Friday night Favors failed to come up with at least 3 50/50 balls - fatigue probably played a huge part in it. I don't see him playing at this accelerated pace and being effective for anything more than 4 minute clips.

This is a problem - Favors gets a ton of rebounds, a lot of easy baskets. In this type of game environment I see him as a 18-20mpg guy tops.

Excellent point. But I think all teams will have to adjust. No team can keep up such a pace throughout an 82-game season. They would never be able to last into the playoffs.

Niang and Crowder are playing great.

Favors got his $15 million, he’ll be a team player. If Quin needs to make a change then he will. I don’t think Favors is coming back. $15 million was: “thanks man, for everything. But you don’t fit our long term plans, we don’t need this money now, but we will next year. Let’s have a fun final year”

Seeing the starters with a proper (ish) stretch 4. The offense is about to level up.

We’ll miss you Favors. I hope Trae Young throws good lob passes.

Favors is much more effective as a 5 than a 4 on offense in today's game. It has to do mostly with his lack of ball skills on the perimeter that 4s now need to have.

Defensively, he can still keep up pretty well with opposing 5s, aside from the fastest floor runners.

Nah, Favors is fine. He just got in foul trouble in the GS game. And they arent exactly 50/50 balls if it's Favors against 3 GS players because everyone else on Utah is focused on defensive transition, not offensive rebounding.

The funniest thing about Favors and how people discuss his fit as a PF in Quin's system is that his biggest weakest is the most under-discussed one. It isnt shooting or other teams playing fast, it's that he can't dribble.

Nah, Favors is fine. He just got in foul trouble in the GS game. And they arent exactly 50/50 balls if it's Favors against 3 GS players because everyone else on Utah is focused on defensive transition, not offensive rebounding.

The funniest thing about Favors and how people discuss his fit as a PF in Quin's system is that his biggest weakest is the most under-discussed one. It isnt shooting or other teams playing fast, it's that he can't dribble.
Agreed about his dribbling. I trust rudy dribbling the ball more than i do favors. (rudy is a surprisingly good ball handler for his size and lack of offensive ability)

I definitely think this increase in pace is going to make it even more difficult to have Favors and Gobert on the floor at the same time. Favors should still be able to be effective playing the 5 when Gobert's out.

Favors only played 20 minutes. He wasn't good. He was the only starter who had a negative plus minus. He was -8, scored only 5 points.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I definitely think this increase in pace is going to make it even more difficult to have Favors and Gobert on the floor at the same time. Favors should still be able to be effective playing the 5 when Gobert's out.

This is pretty much my point. Favors will essentially be a back-up Center. Crowder and Thabo will play the bulk of the PF minutes .

Favors usage will probably resemble how he was utilized in the Rockets series.

Last edited:
2 games in. These track meets aren’t gonna last to the same degree the whole season Wait till the dust settles

I don't think so - the "freedom of movement" emphasis by the NBA is allowing players to the bring the ball up untouched. Last night I watched The Knicks - Celtics game. The Knicks tried to pick up Terry Rozier in the back court and twice the ref called a foul on the Knick defender. Then The Knicks backed of and it turned into a track meet.

I think this is what most teams want and probably why the change was made in the first place - the ability to push the ball into their offense faster to generate more possessions, more one-on-one opportunities and more open 3's in transition. Virtually every team is taking advantage of it.

I think the jazz need to focus on slowing the pace, drive the grinding D. That is what will win games for us. We saw with GS what happens when we try to compete in a track meet. I think it's a strength that we can play at a fast pace, but it shouldn't be our identity. It should be a weapon in the arsenal, not our only bullet.

I don't think so - the "freedom of movement" emphasis by the NBA is allowing players to the bring the ball up untouched. Last night I watched The Knicks - Celtics game. The Knicks tried to pick up Terry Rozier in the back court and twice the ref called a foul on the Knick defender. Then The Knicks backed of and it turned into a track meet.

I think this is what most teams want and probably why the change was made in the first place - the ability to push the ball into their offense faster to generate more possessions, more one-on-one opportunities and more open 3's in transition. Virtually every team is taking advantage of it.

I'll see the refs continue to call it this way after 2-3 months before i believe it

Only nba games i have really watched start to finish so far this year are the two jazz games. They were both really good and entertaining games. So far so good with this faster pace imo.

Im having a blast with the jazz season so far. Whats not to like?

I'll see the refs continue to call it this way after 2-3 months before i believe it

Honestly they already aren’t calling it like they said they would... it’s 100% lip service and shouldn’t be taken seriously.

Only nba games i have really watched start to finish so far this year are the two jazz games. They were both really good and entertaining games. So far so good with this faster pace imo.

Im having a blast with the jazz season so far. Whats not to like?

The NBA has been amazing through the first few games. No complaints. But if the Jazz will be setting up half court defense significantly less through the course of the season, it is definitely something to keep an eye on.

I think the jazz need to focus on slowing the pace, drive the grinding D. That is what will win games for us. We saw with GS what happens when we try to compete in a track meet. I think it's a strength that we can play at a fast pace, but it shouldn't be our identity. It should be a weapon in the arsenal, not our only bullet.

They shot the ball really well and we were a bounce here or there away from winning. We played like we needed to... we lost the game when we slowed down honestly.

Favs should just be a backup center against the warriors. Green can keep him off the glass and you need so much perimeter defense and shooting. Against other teams I don’t have an issue. Rockets have Tucker I guess but outside of that favs should be able to punish teams that go small and I think his corner shooting is somewhat legit.