What's new

Patrick Patterson

Scat

Why am I not hearing more about this guy? I think YB85 is about the only other person I've seen mention him.

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/patrick-patterson

Strengths: Utilized his 3rd year to more fully develop his game, as he was relinquished of his duties of being the featured scorer with the help of Cousins, Wall and Bledsoe ... Patterson has an excellent build for an NBA forward, and uses that to his advantage down low ... Good feel for the basket, soft hands, seems to convert at a high rate with fundamental post moves, in particular a baby hook shot, when establishing solid position down low ... Shows good toughness and a power forward's demeanor ... This past year he developed a smooth outside jump shot with encouraging mechanics for a big man, working well when spotting up off a catch and shoot ... His understanding of the game and his mid-range stroke make him a likely candidate to be an efficient pick and roll player down the road ... Patterson has a high basketball IQ, seems to know his limitations, while his work ethic and maturity will likely improve the chances of him earning plentiful rookie minutes ... Defensively, in the paint, he can use his length to contest shots, and with a focus on using his strength to body up and play physical, he has the potential to be a nice post defender ...

Weaknesses: If there is one thing Patterson is missing, it's a face-up part of his game... It's difficult to remember a time where he ever tried to beat his man or take a jump shot off the dribble this past year... For his build and strength, he is not the greatest rebounder, and at the next level when going up against taller and equally strong forwards, he could be a liability on the defensive glass ... When guarding more athletic and quicker forwards like Josh Smith, he could have a difficult time defending on the perimeter (although it seems his footwork and agility have improved over the past year) ... Lacks defensive awareness, and will need to work on his help defense and positioning off the ball ...

Overall: A smart, mature kid who understands his role, Patterson looks like the typical productive power forward that GMs know exactly what they are going to get when they draft him... Not the highest upside, but a safe and reliable pick who rarely turns the ball over and just screams efficiency... With his improved jump shot, and the ability to add a few post moves to his repertoire, Patterson could be a nice fit right away for a team looking for stability at the 4 position, especially if they already have an established rebounding center ...

I read the strengths and weaknesses and I automatically flash back to 1985 when the Jazz picked a player with an almost identical bio.

His NBA comparison is Buck Williams. That's not a bad player to be compared to by any means.

From Draft Express:

Patrick Patterson’s projections vary depending on who you talk to, but a situational analysis supports him as an immediate contributor who could be worth taking in the lottery.

Ranking right around average with a usage of 12.3 possessions per-game, Patterson ranks first amongst all power forward prospects at 1.139 PPP overall. The only player with a higher overall PPP in our 2010 draft rankings is Syracuse center Arinze Onuaku. On top of his excellent efficiency, Patterson turned the ball over on just 8.3% of his possessions, the second lowest mark in our rankings.

From a situation specific perspective, Patterson was one of the more versatile forwards on the list. He received some 18% of his total offense in spot-up situations (3rd), 16% in transition (2nd), and 15.4% from offensive rebounds (8th). The impact of Kentucky’s freshman on Patterson’s role is clear in the decline we see in his opportunities to create his own shot. After receiving 35.8% of his possessions in the post last season, he got to go one-on-one on the block just 18% of the time this year. Despite that drop in usage, he led our sample with 65% shooting in the post.

Patterson is capable of contributing on the next level in a number of ways, as his tools give him the ability to score in all sorts of set plays. His 0.894 PPP in jump shooting situations ranks above average, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see Patterson continue to make progress in that part of the game. Around the rim he ranks above average at 1.368 PPP. Couple his ability to score from multiple areas, with his excellent intangibles, team-first mentality, and athleticism, and Patterson seems like a very safe pick for a team looking to compete next season.

From DraftExpress.com https://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Patrick-Patterson-1225/#ixzz0rhbmi9oy
https://www.draftexpress.com

Because we don't need another player like him.
This.
Patterson's awfully similar to Millsap, a little taller with more range than Sap was coming out of college but not the natural rebounder. Solid, safe pick between 14-20 but just doesn't have the upside to be considered in the top-10. Potential probably falls somewhere between a Brandon Bass and Paul Millsap.

Because we don't need another player like him.

That would really suck to have another player who can...what's the word I'm looking for...oh, yeah, play.

It amazes me how many posters on this board would want the Jazz to select a player or bypass a player simply because of the need for "length". Well, as my lifelong motto goes, size only matters if you can do something with it. Don't draft Koufos' bench partner simply because he is taller or longer than than someone else. Do that in the second round. Do that later in the first round. Don't do that at #9. Take someone who can play. Patterson can play.

His name is Pat Patterson for hell sakes. That's a bad sign if you ask me. That's like naming a son Mike or Greg.

David Locke conversed with Pace Mannion on hte radio the other day and compared patterson to Davis. Locke had the slightly hidden, slightly excited note in his voice that told me he was interested in Patterson or he had some inside info that the Jazz have some interest in him. The comparison to Davis was that davis was a bit longer (1-2 inch on reach and 3 inch on vertical) and is RUMORED to have a larger upside than Patterson. Pace Mannion was non-committal iin his answer. I found myself being talked into Patterson.

The tough part of this draft is that at 9, we have real expectations - at 24 or whatever Jazz have been drafting it is a bit hard to have a lot of expectations.

As a slightly related note, Gordie Chiesa commented week or so ago that the most important thing to do with the 9 pick is to "have it be sucessful." I found that to mean you HAVE to put the risk DOWN a bit and take a player with good LIKELIHOOD of sucess. I found hte commentary around Patterson to be low risk. So he could be more on the Jazz Radar than we know. (Assuming that Gordie still has the same thinking process as Jazz.)

This.
Patterson's awfully similar to Millsap, a little taller with more range than Sap was coming out of college but not the natural rebounder. Solid, safe pick between 14-20 but just doesn't have the upside to be considered in the top-10. Potential probably falls somewhere between a Brandon Bass and Paul Millsap.

He's listed at 6'9" and 240 lbs. I fail to see how his size is an issue. If he can step in right away and give us 15-20 minutes at the 4 splitting time with Sap and/or AK I think it will be a much more productive pick than Hayward, Babbit or any other wing. We can let Boozer walk and save ourselves a butt load of money. I simply don't understand why they are looking at wing players in this year's draft. We don't need a wing. The fact that he seems to have a high BB IQ, plays hard, likes to bang, can effectively run the pick and roll and has a great attitude are all perfect. If the Jazz can pull a late first round pick out of their asses and grab a player like Whiteside who excels at rebounding and help defense I would be ecstatic. We don't need him to score. Just pull down boards and intimidate the paint.

D-Will, Price, Gaines
Matthews, Miles, Korver
Miles, AK, Korver
AK, Sap, Patterson
Okur(??), Fess, Whiteside

I really think that AK at the 4 again will place him back at his all-star level. Depending on Okur's status we can hang onto Doufus if needed otherwise let him go. Other than his "Boom Bitches" he has been unremarkable.

If the Jazz can pull a late first round pick out of their asses and grab a player like Whiteside who excels at rebounding and help defense I would be ecstatic. We don't need him to score. Just pull down boards and intimidate the paint.

This player is Brian Zoubek, not Hassan Whiteside.

He's listed at 6'9" and 240 lbs. I fail to see how his size is an issue. If he can step in right away and give us 15-20 minutes at the 4 splitting time with Sap and/or AK I think it will be a much more productive pick than Hayward, Babbit or any other wing. We can let Boozer walk and save ourselves a butt load of money. I simply don't understand why they are looking at wing players in this year's draft. We don't need a wing. The fact that he seems to have a high BB IQ, plays hard, likes to bang, can effectively run the pick and roll and has a great attitude are all perfect. If the Jazz can pull a late first round pick out of their asses and grab a player like Whiteside who excels at rebounding and help defense I would be ecstatic. We don't need him to score. Just pull down boards and intimidate the paint.

D-Will, Price, Gaines
Matthews, Miles, Korver
Miles, AK, Korver
AK, Sap, Patterson
Okur(??), Fess, Whiteside

I really think that AK at the 4 again will place him back at his all-star level. Depending on Okur's status we can hang onto Doufus if needed otherwise let him go. Other than his "Boom Bitches" he has been unremarkable.

I like Patterson a lot as a player. But would not be very excited about this roster. I am also becoming more and more certain someone is going to give Korver a lot more money than we are willing to.

Patterson is also a very good shooter and outstanding free throw shooter. Imagine having a power forward who can step up and make two free throws. The Jazz lost more than a few games at the line in the past couple of seasons.

I like Patterson a lot as a player. But would not be very excited about this roster. I am also becoming more and more certain someone is going to give Korver a lot more money than we are willing to.

Korver has said that he really wants to stay in Utah and is willing to take a cut in pay to make it happen. We'll see when it comes to it what he's really made of but there is possibility that he stays here at a reduced rate.

More on Patterson

Viewing him as a pure, albeit somewhat undersized, power forward ahead of the 2009 NBA Draft, I saw Patrick Patterson as a good value pick in the middle of the first round. Here we are a year later, Patterson has shown enough ability away from the basket to show he can be a combo forward in a weaker draft, yet he still looks like a pick in the 10-15 range.

Nevertheless, I don't think that is necessarily any type of indictment on his future.

When Patterson arrived in Lexington, he was primarily relied upon in the low post where he would use his combination of size and skill against college competition. He showed an occasional mid-range jumper that was reminiscent of the one we saw for years by Karl Malone, but he was primarily a back to the bucket player. Patterson did always seem like a difficult cover for bigs because he would play physically, yet also had finesse skills.

With DeMarcus Cousins and Daniel Orton giving Kentucky some legitimate size, Patterson's role in the offense changed considerably, but he still had an outstanding offensive season.

Perhaps as important as allowing Patterson to play a little on the perimeter because of those two freshmen bigs, the opportunity to play with John Wall allowed Patterson to demonstrate that he can also be an above the rim finisher.

When it comes to successful undersized power forwards, Elton Brand of course comes to mind, but his 7'5" wingspan puts him into a different class altogether. A more accurate comparison for Patterson would be Carl Landry, who are comparable in terms of height, wingspan and strength, though the latter is more athletic.

With few exceptions, Patterson will be able to score in the NBA regardless of who guards him in the post. He has a physical build and enjoys being physical. Patterson seals his man well and uses his toughness to initiate strong position. Whether it is in the paint or on the perimeter, Patterson moves extremely well without the ball.

When he catches the ball, Patterson has the full array of moves you want from a post player, predicated on strong footwork and a soft touch at the bucket. His up and under is strong and easy for defenders to want to bait on, but his baby hook is more impressive to me. Patterson gets good lift and rise, functionally using the length he has to maximum effect.

In terms of offensive intangibles, Patterson has excellent hands and also possesses a gifted court sense.

Patterson hit a more than respectable percentage of his 3-point attempts, but he doesn't have the same type of effectiveness as a jump shooter as he does in the post. His shot isn't pure, but it is a little reminiscent of those mid-range jumpers Karl Malone liked to take.

The combo forward aspect of his game that is most immediately translatable is in transition. He runs the floor really well and is a good decision-maker in those situations.

Patterson should also rebound well on the next level, particularly on the offensive end where he attacks the ball. His rebounding numbers predictably decreased as a junior, but Cousins and Orton are to be blamed for that.

On the defensive end, Patterson is very sound and is capable of guarding multiple positions. He is better at guarding the post, but he showcased well defending perimeter ISOs where he had ample lateral quickness to stay in front of his man. Patterson frequently had to guard players shorter than him as a junior and did well in those situations.

He also has a pair of some of the most effectively active arms you will see from a college player.

As a shotblocker, Patterson isn't the type to shift a game, but he'll get his fair share and he is a difficult player to shoot over the top of.

In terms of character, you couldn't ask for more than Patterson. If you had to bet your life on one player outside of the top-four to have an extremely productive 10-year NBA career, I would take Patterson.

Read more: https://realgm.com/src_feature_piec..._patrick_patterson_of_kentucky/#ixzz0riPizOCd

Everyone keeps referring to him as undersized. He's 6'9" and 240 lbs. Malone was 6'9" and 256 lbs. What are they looking for at the 4 spot these days?!?

More on Patterson

Everyone keeps referring to him as undersized. He's 6'9" and 240 lbs. Malone was 6'9" and 256 lbs. What are they looking for at the 4 spot these days?!?

Nice Point! The bigger guys bothered Malone sometimes too, so I can see where they are coming from, but a young Malone with D-Will could put us back into the Title hunt.

ps. I'm not calling Patterson a young Malone, just saying if we had a young Malone it would help.

Patterson could be a very nice player in the league and I could even see him as a Boozer-like scorer. But that's his ceiling. He's always been a poor defensive rebounder and poor defender in general. Maybe as Jazz fanz, we have to hope for a lateral move because things look bound to get worse, but I'm averse to a lateral move. If the Jazz trade down to 12 and 25 to get Patterson, I'll feel less ho-hum/bummed about getting Patterson.

Long story short, he doesn't excite me.

Patterson is one of the safer picks. He took a back seat to the Wall and Cousins show but in his sophmore year had a very impressive stat line: 18 PPG at 60% / 9.3 RPG / 2 APG / 2 blocks
That is superior to any PF in the draft. Pretty athletic too, KOC would do well to take him if he can snag another lower first round pick.

I would be shocked if Monroe was gone and the Jazz passed on Patterson. He has all the Jazz requirements:

1. IQ off the charts
2. Ability to speak in paragraphs
3. NBA ready body
4. Down plays his ego
5. Slips in "working hard" every 3 sentences or so
6. Position of need
7. Ability to draft the next best thing to a white guy that can play is a black guy that can play with a name right out of the Irish suburbs.

Assuming they are not high on Aldridge. I am not sure why Cole is a bad pick at 9.

Last edited:
I guess with Millsap in place, I'm hoping for a guy who can play some at the 5. Draft Patterson and what do the Jazz do, give Paul and Pat 24 mins each?