What's new

Paul George is not the answer

BackHander

I usually disagree with David Locke, but I think he is right about one thing.

Paul George is a terrible teammate. I don't want him on our team. I don't want to pay a high premium for a one year rental of a malcontent. I felt it is for more likely he will create discord in the locker room and screw us over like he did Indiana than he would carry us past Golden State. He is a very big gamble.

I don't think the idea that Paul George would be in Boston helps Boston. I think Gordon thinks about the friends he has on the team and sees Paul George demanding the last shot and calling out his teammates.

I don't see the Jazz trading for him. He doesn't have "Jazz DNA".

Except that his teammates seem to really like him. Hayward and Hill are friends with him and seem to like him.

I think Locke just knows this move is risky and the Jazz won't do it, so he is trying to soften the blow for fans.

I'd be lukewarm on getting George. A handful of things have soured me on him.

Except that his teammates seem to really like him. Hayward and Hill are friends with him and seem to like him.

I think Locke just knows this move is risky and the Jazz won't do it, so he is trying to soften the blow for fans.

I've never heard he and Hayward were buds. Source?

I'm still really high on the idea of the Jazz getting Paul George. I don't think he's a bad teammate. I don't think he's a malcontent. I think he was incredibly frustrated in the playoffs to see how badly Larry Bird screwed things up with the Pacers.

I don't think that the Jazz (with DL, Snyder, Gobert, Hayward and Hill) have nearly the disfunction that Indiana had. I also don't think that there's any way that he will commit to an extension with anyone with the Lakers.

The big risk is that you only rent him for a year. Whoever trades for him HAS to know that they might be throwing assets away for a rental.

At the deadline last year, I'd have gone Favors, Hood, and a bunch of draft picks for a shot to rent Paul George for the playoffs + one more season and then tried to convince him to stay beyond that point. My opinion hasn't changed. I'd hate to give up Favors at this point (Hood, Diaw and cap space can theoretically get it done), but I still think that the Jazz need to aggressively pursue a 3rd star. PG13 gives them that. Sit on their hands and they will get decimated this offseason. Go all in, and they might get decimated next offseason. That's well worth the risk that they pull a top 3 team together and then figure out how to keep it past 2017.

I've never heard he and Hayward were buds. Source?
They have been training together off and on since their first year in the league in Indiana. There are lots of quotes from each other saying nice things about one another through out the years. Including George saying he wants to play with him.

Thanks for finding that. I'm not sure that they can get him to stay beyond one season, but I'm pretty sure that he's the biggest acquisition they could add to the team this offseason. I think they should take the risk and see how it works out. A one year rental of PG13 is way better than a one year rental of Hood and Favors IMO.

Hill, George, and Hayward are all friends. Then you can throw in Mitchell which would workout with George often. PG 13 might feel right at home. Not to mention the Jazz is a good organization and has a coach that PG13 likes, might be enough to convince him to stay. It takes a Superteam to win a championship and you don't get many chances to build them. This is the Jazz opportunity and your not going to be a contender without becoming one. The Jazz could have a nice mix with Hill, George, Hayward , and Gobert. Then mix in the young guys Hood, Exum, Mitchell, and Bradley and that's probably the second best team in the league.