What's new

Potential additions for next year at SF/PF, PF/C

idiot

Ideally for next season, I think the Jazz would add either/both of:
- an athletic 3/4 – one who can guard 3-4 and even 5 in a pinch, add to the Jazz’s overall height/athleticism, and not hurt the Jazz on offense
- a shooting 4/5 – one who can hit a 3 pointer, guard both positions as needed, and least break even in the balance between offensive and defensive impact

Brantley and Morgan (respectively) match those characteristics in theory, but the likelihood is still small that they will in actual quality. And while much of the draft thread has been focused players of these prototypes, the reality is that getting someone from the draft who will be ready to contribute next season is unlikely.

Here’s a list of players loosely within these categories who may possibly be available this offseason because of team/contract situation (in reality many may be neither available nor gettable for the Jazz’s assets, of course, so this is an exercise in dreaming). Of course the numbers don't tell the whole story. How would you rank/evaluate them as fits for the Jazz? Are there any that the Jazz should realistically target? Lots of teams will probably target Wood. I tend to think Larry Nance, Jr. (who is perhaps the most flexible defender) is a sneaky good target, though one that would require a trade.

(Strongest green = best in the various statistical categories, strongest red = worst. Averages based on 100 possessions.)

1597308780813.png

Attachments

• 1597307971104.png
    1597307971104.png
    86.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Ideally for next season, I think the Jazz would add either/both of:
- an athletic 3/4 – one who can guard 3-4 and even 5 in a pinch, add to the Jazz’s overall height/athleticism, and not hurt the Jazz on offense
- a shooting 4/5 – one who can hit a 3 pointer, guard both positions as needed, and least break even in the balance between offensive and defensive impact

Brantley and Morgan (respectively) match those characteristics in theory, but the likelihood is still small that they will in actual quality. And while much of the draft thread has been focused players of these prototypes, the reality is that getting someone from the draft who will be ready to contribute next season is unlikely.

Here’s a list of players loosely within these categories who may possibly be available this offseason because of team/contract situation (in reality many may be neither available nor gettable for the Jazz’s assets, of course, so this is an exercise in dreaming). Of course the numbers don't tell the whole story. How would you rank/evaluate them as fits for the Jazz? Are there any that the Jazz should realistically target? Lots of teams will probably target Wood. I tend to think Larry Nance, Jr. (who is perhaps the most flexible defender) is a sneaky good target, though one that would require a trade.

(Strongest green = best in the various statistical categories, strongest red = worst).

View attachment 9663

Wow great work dude

It was surprising too see Jae Crowder's iso defense stats are not that different from Niang's. Slightly worse actually. I will have a pass.

If Jerami Grant declines his option he would be a good addition with a slight overpay but he is getting good minutes and playing with Jokic so I doubt it.

Wood wants a place he can start. That's not happening with Bogey and his best position is 5.

Thad Yaoung was the worst finisher in the league at some point so I shudder at the thought.

Harkless seems to best option as a wing defender that can shoot some and he is not expensive.

Im just gonna say Bjellica just because the Ingles-Bogdanovic-Bjellica "heavy artillery unit" would be hilarious to watch and they'd shoot the lights out

Christian Wood was a guy I swore up and down SHOULD GET DRAFTED... Remember when Utah took Deni Diaz with the 54th pick of the 2015 draft and left Wood to fall to the UDFA pool??? what a fail... He would be an excellent fit here but it would be a major change to the rotation.

Rodions Kurucs would be a heck of a pull.

I like JaMychal Green too, I think he'd be a good fit with whats in place here. Maybe he wouldnt be great, but i'm sure he'd be solid.

Millsap makes the most sense to me. He plays a position of need, is a great defender, and won’t break the bank due to age.

@idiot

Well done man. I love it broken down like this.

Simply for curiosity sake, could you add Horford to the same exact spreadsheet? I was wondering where he would stack up.

Hypothetically -

If you could trade Rudy for a good wing and then sign Wood to a max deal, would you do it?

Jazz can develop Brantley to play a PJ Tucker role off the bench at the 4.

It might not take much to trade for Alfarouq Aminu.

He's 35 dude, averaging under 12/6. If he's willing to play at half his current contract and come off the bench, then maybe. I wouldn't make him a priority though.

I would take Millsap back at Jeff Green or even Ed Davis type money. The guy can absolutely play when he's healthy. Is he the priority? No. But would he definitely help this team? Absolutely.