What's new

Potential and Realistic Offseason Moves

Chris

I think the primary question going into the offseason is how we can continue to promote the growth of the young core by giving them the valuable playing minutes that they'll require, while incorporating free agent talent that will complement and improve the team. It will be a delicate balancing act, to be sure. I have a couple of suggestions. It is important to remember that we have money and we have a market that makes it tough to attract free agents. While we all know this, I believe it bears repeating before reading the rest of what I have to say.

I do believe that there are a few moves that could be worth the effort and perhaps the requisite over-payment, given what market we're talking about here in Utah. In looking at available free agents this summer, there were really only two guys that I think could add something significant to the team that would still put our young core in a position to earn the playing time that they'll need to develop.

I considered Greg Monroe, who I think could be had for 12-14 million/yr for most teams and maybe 15+ for the Jazz. However, I think that the Jazz need Hayward, Favors, and Gobert to start and get significant minutes, so I think it would be a bad fit from that perspective.

I also considered Tobias Harris, a small forward who's young and averaging 17.5 PPG, 6.5 RPG and 2 APG. However, he seems to really want to play for the Knicks and I believe the Knicks will overpay for him if they have to, but again -- I don't believe they'll have to. Harris to the Knicks seems like a fait accompli.

Jimmy Butler would be nice, but Chicago is intent on keeping him and will match any offer he'll get...which will likely be a max one. So he's out of the question. I believe that leaves the Jazz with only two legitimate options, and they're both at shooting guard, because that's where I feel we're most deficient.

Wes Matthews and Khris Middleton. I was broken hearted when Portland stole Wes a few years ago, but we could use an all-around threat veteran who doesn't have a lot of miles on his tires. Though he'll be 29, it's not like he came out of college after his freshman year. He spent four years at Marquette and then came into the league. While he might be at his ceiling, I think he's a hell of a good player and a great guy to extend a 4-year, $48 million contract to, if that's what it takes to bring him back to Utah. This would also give Alec Burks something to fight for and continue to improve, if Matthews started in front of him for a couple of years. Either way, we'd have one hell of a second team.

As for Khris Middleton, he's another SG, and on the younger and taller side. Doesn't seem to have hit his potential yet, and I believe he could be had for a decent 4-yr contract. He could play behind Burks, where Matthews would play ahead of Burks, I would assume. Middleton might be a better fit from that particular perspective. Middleton can also play some SF with his size and skill set, if something were to happen to Hayward or Hood. Either move, for Matthews or Middleton, would make Elijah Millsap a good third option. I like what Millsap brings to the table: A guy that can step up if need be, but let's not make him our #2 guy at the SG position.

When it comes to the draft, I believe a legitimate center is the priority. Trying to bring in a veteran free agent center would stunt Gobert's growth. I think Myles Turner could be the guy. Seems like he will provide some good length and offense off the bench, without being a defensive liability. He could develop alongside Gobert for the next few years. If, when it's time to re-up Gobert and he's looking for big bucks, we can evaluate where Myles Turner is at that point and make a decision based on that. Plus, Turner will be on a friendly rookie scale contract over the next few years. I also think that Jeremy Evans, Ian Clark, and Joe Ingles could all safely be let go -- no need to pay for players you don't really need anymore.

I won't propose any trades, but I feel these moves listed above could really move the Jazz in the right direction with what they seem to want to do over the next few years.

Last edited:
We don't need another big. We have two starters, and you can easily fill in around them. One of the main reasons we traded Kanter was to remove that logjam.

My view is that we need an Eli Milsap who can shoot a 3 and/or a PG who can run the offense, push the ball, and feed hayward and favors until Dante takes over.

I think the primary question going into the offseason is how we can continue to promote the growth of the young core by giving them the valuable playing minutes that they'll require, while incorporating free agent talent that will complement and improve the team. It will be a delicate balancing act, to be sure. I have a couple of suggestions. It is important to remember that we have money and we have a market that makes it tough to attract free agents. While we all know this, I believe it bears repeating before reading the rest of what I have to say.

I do believe that there are a few moves that could be worth the effort and perhaps the requisite over-payment, given what market we're talking about here in Utah. In looking at available free agents this summer, there were really only two guys that I think could add something significant to the team that would still put our young core in a position to earn the playing time that they'll need to develop.

I considered Greg Monroe, who I think could be had for 12-14 million/yr for most teams and maybe 15+ for the Jazz. However, I think that the Jazz need Hayward, Favors, and Gobert to start and get significant minutes, so I think it would be a bad fit from that perspective.

I also considered Tobias Harris, a small forward who's young and averaging 17.5 PPG, 6.5 RPG and 2 APG. However, he seems to really want to play for the Knicks and I believe the Knicks will overpay for him if they have to, but again -- I don't believe they'll have to. Harris to the Knicks seems like a fait accompli.

Jimmy Butler would be nice, but Chicago is intent on keeping him and will match any offer he'll get...which will likely be a max one. So he's out of the question. I believe that leaves the Jazz with only two legitimate options, and they're both at shooting guard, because that's where I feel we're most deficient.

Wes Matthews and Khris Middleton. I was broken hearted when Portland stole Wes away a few years ago, but we could use an all-around threat veteran who doesn't have a lot of miles on his tires. Though he'll be 29, it's not like he came out of college after his freshman year. He spent four years at Marquette and then came into the league. While he might be at his ceiling, I think he's a hell of a good player and a great guy to extend a 4-year, $48 million contract to, if that's what it takes to bring him back to Utah. This would also give Alec Burks something to fight for and continue to improve, if Matthews started in front of him for a couple of years. Either way, we'd have one hell of a second team.

As for Khris Middleton, he's another SG, and on the younger and taller side. Doesn't seem to have hit his potential yet, and I believe he could be had for a decent 4-yr contract. He could play behind Burks, where Matthews would play ahead of Burks, I would assume. Middleton might be a better fit from that particular perspective. Middleton can also play some SF with his size and skill set, if something were to happen to Hayward or Hood. Either move, for Matthews or Middleton, would make Elijah Millsap a good third option -- I like what he brings to the table. A guy that can step up if need be, but let's not make him our #2 guy at the SG position.

When it comes to the draft, a legitimate center is the priority. Trying to bring in a veteran center would stunt Gobert's growth. I think Myles Turner could be the guy. Seems like he will provide some good length and offense off the bench, without being a defensive liability. I also think that Jeremy Evans, Ian Clark, and Joe Ingles could all safely be let go.

I won't propose any trades, but I feel these moves listed above could really move the Jazz in the right direction with what they seem to want to do over the next few years.

I agree on Middleton. His real plus/minus numbers are insane and show that even as a young player, he has the potential to be a top 5 wing in the league. Combined with Hayward and Burks, that's a pretty solid haul. I love Wes Matthews, as well, but Draymond Green I think is likely a better fit if Middleton is a no-go.

We are not going to have to do much work. The agents for these young wings will be lining up at our door if for nothing else to get leverage on the team they really wish to sign with. We may be heavily involved with each one of these guys, but not land any of them.

Middleton is the guy i would target. Crazy thing is it may take a near max contract. I think we are underestimating the rising cap and that this is the best chance for small markets to get value for their cap space for a couple years. If everyone has space when the cap rises then more glamorous markets will have an advantage.

We need a starting wing player and a vet PG.

If the Jazz believe in Burke as a backup, then I'd be all for Andre Miller, the professor, to come in and mentor Exum and Burke as our third PG. Teach them the tricks of the trade. Exum is a very similar player to Miller, smiles wise.

As for the starting wing, I'd love Matthews or Middleton.

I would also go hard at Danny Green and Demarre Carroll... They will be cheaper but still not what fans will expect.

I'd love DMC back. Green will get a max offer and GS will match.

I'm not so certain that GS will match a max offer for Draymond Green. In any other year they wouldn't (and I'd be skeptical of the Jazz offering him a max contract), but this summer is tricky to determine, being the year before the cap explosion.

I really don't believe Middleton or Draymond Green will approach anything near a max contract. While I know teams seem to extend those contracts pretty willy nilly these days, I don't think either guy deserves that or will get it. Both guys are averaging only around 11 pts/gm and have only two years experience. While they both seem to do the little things well, I don't know that a max contract is in their futures this summer, even considering the alleged upcoming "cap explosion."

I think you are spot on. If we manage to get either Middleton or Matthews for about 10(for Middleton)-12-14(for Matthews)M I'd be happy. I think we can add even more wing depth at draftnight - there are several great prospects in that draft and I'd love to see us draft any one of Johnson, Hezonja, Winslow, Oubre, Booker.

I'd also be looking to add depth to our front court rotation. I don't think Jeremy Evans is a solution long-term and we do need a center behind Rudy. I think one of the Barcelona players we have might be a good option. They'd probably want around 5-6M per year and that would be great value for a backup center. I prefer Tomic, but Pleiss looks competent as well... With Enes' departure Looney and Porzingis become a great stretch-4 option to complement Rudy and Favors.

We have a lot of options for sure. I believe this is the season where we need to take the next step and explore those option to the fullest and add depth and quality to our bench and if possible to our starting lineup.

One could argue that the Jazz are an Exum, 3/D Wing, and a back up center away from a playoff birth. I think you go after Leonard, Butler, Matthews, Middleton, Green, and DMC and hope you land one of them.

I could see them go after Danny Green, Tobias Harris, Jeff Green, and maybe Bargnani.

I actually like Bargnani as a third big, to stretch the offense and open the middle for Favors/Gobert. He could easy help the 2nd unit with scoring. Mix in Danny Green and the Jazz just added scoring and some d with Green. I really like Green decent shooter and can defend his position.

Exum/Burke/Nato
Green/Burks
Hayward/Hood
Favors/Booker
Gobert/Bargnani

mixed in the best player avble in draft.

One could argue that the Jazz are an Exum, 3/D Wing, and a back up center away from a playoff birth. I think you go after Leonard, Butler, Matthews, Middleton, Green, and DMC and hope you land one of them.

Couldn't agree with this post more.

So much depends upon how big a step Exum is able to take this summer and next. My prediction: he'll be significantly (20ish%) better next year, and then blow up in year 3.

Couldn't agree with this post more.

So much depends upon how big a step Exum is able to take this summer and next. My prediction: he'll be significantly (20ish%) better next year, and then blow up in year 3.

Honestly, I could easily see the Jazz take a huge leap fwd, Year 3 of Burke, Burks coming back healthy, Hood/Exum year 2 leaps, Gobert with another offseason of Gorbert. Another Lotto pick mixed with spending money!!! The future is so bright for the Jazz!!

I could see them go after Danny Green, Tobias Harris, Jeff Green, and maybe Bargnani.

I actually like Bargnani as a third big, to stretch the offense and open the middle for Favors/Gobert. He could easy help the 2nd unit with scoring. Mix in Danny Green and the Jazz just added scoring and some d with Green. I really like Green decent shooter and can defend his position.

Bargnani? Seriously? He blows. He can't shoot anymore (around or less than 30% on 3s the last few years). He can't defend either (and he is dumb). He is done as a player.
Green or Harris could be solid additions though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7p02Xp3U5w

Would everyone hate the idea of going after Lin in the offseason? If he signs for a reasonable price, (which he should) he'd be a good bench player who can help Exum. Lin is a good shooter for as much as people say he sucks this year he's way better then Burke. Lin shares the ball, he's still young, he has good size, and he can play the 2. The best part is he would make Burke expendable

We need to go after Portland's players. Give them some payback for Millsap and Matthews. If they max out Aldridge and Mathews, will they be willing to max Lillard the next year?