What's new

QS interview at shootaround today re: change in style of play due to injuries

vegas

I'll try to get a link once they post it on the 1280 web page, but he talked about changing the style of play from a blue collared interior system to shooting more 3s in the last 5 games than anybody in the NBA.

It's refreshing to see a coach willing to make drastic changes to keep the team moving forward. It will be interesting to see what parts of the temporary style of play he keeps as players start coming back from injury.

https://kfanav.s3.amazonaws.com/20160104_010416_quin-snyder-shoot-around.mp3

Edit: updated to include link and changed the word defense to interior.

Last edited:
EPIC SLOAN move!
Really? You must remember Sloan a lot differently than I do. Though he did make some offseason changes after Stock and Malone left, he was always pretty rigid in his rotations and philosophies. He never could accept how important the 3 was becoming, either offensively or defensively. Dude was old school, through and through. I definitely do not see him as an adjustments guy.

Really? You must remember Sloan a lot differently than I do. Though he did make some offseason changes after Stock and Malone left, he was always pretty rigid in his rotations and philosophies. He never could accept how important the 3 was becoming, either offensively or defensively. Dude was old school, through and through. I definitely do not see him as an adjustments guy.

I'm going to have to agree with this. Sloan would never let guys shoot that many 3's no matter the situation they were in.

And yeah, getting him to change lineups was like pulling teeth out.

As much as I loved Sloan, sadly he was inflexible. He had his set rotations and plays. I am still irked how few minutes Stockton played in the 98 finals (32 mpg avg IIRC, which over the series was about 60 minutes fewer compared with the minutes of Jordan, Pippin and Malone). Imagine cutting Eisley's minutes down to 50 from the 100 or so he played. Stockton definitely was fit enough to handle it.

Folks... we have a great coach and I for one am excited that he is where he is at this stage in his career after taking over a new, young squad he has turned backup centers Gobert and Withey into stud and backup stud. He has upgraded our talent at an accelerated pace. He has shown a willingness to adjust to counter the league trends and now to even make in-season adjustments that make the injuries look less apparent.

One thing Dr. Quin, medicine man (for what ails us) could work on is countering those early 4rth quarter adjustments that other teams keep making that keep giving up leads forcing tight games out of winnable games. But I have faith he will continue to grow!

Folks... we have a great coach and I for one am excited that he is where he is at this stage in his career after taking over a new, young squad he has turned backup centers Gobert and Withey into stud and backup stud. He has upgraded our talent at an accelerated pace. He has shown a willingness to adjust to counter the league trends and now to even make in-season adjustments that make the injuries look less apparent.

One thing Dr. Quin, medicine man (for what ails us) could work on is countering those early 4rth quarter adjustments that other teams keep making that keep giving up leads forcing tight games out of winnable games. But I have faith he will continue to grow!

Quinn has talked about how scoring late in games in different (I think he means late 4th). Defenses tighten etc. I wouldn't be shocked if he knows what he wants to do, but has to give the guys just a piece at a time to keep confidence and avoid overload.

He seems to be exploiting mismatches a bit better as of late as well. Bit by bit..

Well this 2 game road trip just got harder...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 29
DJJazzyJody says Gobert looks good and will probably return soon.

"Minor" nerve issues can mess with a back for long stretches.

As much as I like offense it is clear to me Quin needs to game plan for defense. I think he has a system and sticks to it no matter the team. Like why did he not trap last night? You must trap on San an. God how we cannot score on Aldridge? Literally the worst defender in the league makes Love look like Rodman.

I hate we are stuck in the Sloan system years. That is not the NBA any longer.

Brilliant. I knew we forgot something last night..

Mean West good catch. He used to be a great defender on those Pacers teams but he is so old now like Perkins old from 3 years ago. Quin needs to attack those types.

I expect GVC or some stat geek to shoot that down w some fake team defense stat. San an really good at defense.