What's new

Quick Note on Favors' Defense.

BYE

Favors is averaging 2.2 blocks and 1.1 steals per game in 24.5 minutes per game. This will change positively or negatively and it is early in the season. That sounds ok, but of these three players: Duncan, Malone, and Garnett, this happened.

Malone: never did this in his entire career.
Duncan: is doing it this year, but has never done it otherwise.
Garnett: did it more or less twice in his career, both times with nearly 40 minutes per game.

On the other hand, Ben Wallace did it 6 times, but once again, this was with upwards of 36 minutes per game. Favors' rebounds at similar rates to all of these players as well. Just a reminder of how good Favors is on defense. His combination of size and speed does not come around that often and are possibly even more unique than we think.

Per 36, Favors is 3.2 blocks and 1.6 steals.

favors-evan-gole.jpg

Favors is averaging 2.2 blocks and 1.1 steals per game in 24.5 minutes per game. This will change positively or negatively and it is early in the season. That sounds ok, but of these three players: Duncan, Malone, and Garnett, this happened.

Malone: never did this in his entire career.
Duncan: is doing it this year, but has never done it otherwise.
Garnett: did it more or less twice in his career, both times with nearly 40 minutes per game.

On the other hand, Ben Wallace did it 6 times, but once again, this was with upwards of 36 minutes per game. Favors' rebounds at similar rates to all of these players as well. Just a reminder of how good Favors is on defense. His combination of size and speed does not come around that often and are possibly even more unique than we think.

Per 36, Favors is 3.2 blocks and 1.6 steals.

favors-evan-gole.jpg

Thanks for the post. In what's been a disappointing year in multiple ways, Favors has been one of the only bright spots. His per 36 of 14.0, 11.2, 3.2, 1.6, 1.0 is solid.

However, he needs to finish better and work on his offensive game. 45% from the field for a guy with his size and athleticism is pathetic.

However, he needs to finish better and work on his offensive game. 45% from the field for a guy with his size and athleticism is pathetic.
Dude's not an iso player and, unfortunately, doesn't play on a team with a point guard who can run a pick and roll.

Dude's not an iso player and, unfortunately, doesn't play on a team with a point guard who can run a pick and roll.

I recognize that but 45% is mediocre at best given his size and athleticism, no matter the surrounding cast.

And in a league where iso plays seem to typically determine the outcome in big games, he needs to work on his iso game because it needs to improve.

Favors is so killer on D. I used to think that it was wishful conjecture, but half these games we're only remotely in due to his defensive game changing

He will never be a lights out scorer, but to me he has shown glimpses this year of a quality scorer. By this I mean his shooting % will probably stay around 50% (currently 50.3%) for his career. This is not that bad as a career % (Malone: 52%, Duncan: 51%, Garnett: 50%, Kemp: 49%). The biggest thing that he needs IMHO is time and to be a primary option. Right now, he is aggressive at times but looks out of control. If he knows he can shoot the next time around, he won't think that he has to jack up every single shot he has. This would also help his assists as well since right now he just kind of puts his head down and goes. I've seen moves when he is calm that are very smooth. He has one or two every game now and has shown that he can get to the line. In short, I think he will be elite on the defensive and, fantastic rebounder, and a decent scorer maybe 20 pts/game one or two seasons but ranging between 15 and 18 most of the time. That's enough to be an Allstar if he continues to dominate on the defensive end.

one of my favorite things about favors; he has a cool head. he always seems in control of himself, lots of focus.