What's new

Quin Snyder Reclamation Projects - Ricky Rubio??

mdalby

Quin and staff have done a great job on development of players. We have seen Ingles, Burks, Hood, Jerebko, Favors improvements...

it has shown that patience on players has paid off to see Burks, Hood and Favors this season.

Can The Mighty Quin do his magic with Rubio?

I was looking at contract situations with the team and players that some on this forum were looking to unload such as Burks, Favors and Hood have really stepped up their game. We really don't have any bad contracts on the roster right now except for Rubio. Unless he can step up his game and play more of a controlled game rather than this helter skelter out of control game that he is currently playing.

Let's see what a full season + off-season can do. Maybe Rubio will take time off the national team next year because of the contract year and really lock in with a Jazz assistant.

Let's see what a full season + off-season can do. Maybe Rubio will take time off the national team next year because of the contract year and really lock in with a Jazz assistant.

Much rather we move him.

Rubio actually had three decent games in a row until last night where The Jazz clearly won in spite of him.

And the decent games he's had is because of less involvement; not more. This isn't a scenario you want for a starting PG.

He has an expiring, movable contract after this season. He should be the first to go.

His whole shooting mechanic is ugly. It will take at least to the end of his contract to fix it..and that is if he is willing to put in the effort to work on it.

But his shooting is probably central to his woes.. so if he does manage to fix it, he will then have to learn how to trust in it and adjust his decision making process to include that trust..(which will also take time)

Sadly he seems to work best for the team on the bench at the moment.

Last edited:
i've been a little disappointed with his lack of creation aside from the whole shooting thing. I really think he could be the odd man out.

i've been a little disappointed with his lack of creation aside from the whole shooting thing. I really think he could be the odd man out.

His lack of shooting really hinders his creative potential. The defense plays too far off of him. It will be tough for Snyder to have him clicking with Gobert in the short term. His turnovers bothers me maybe the most.

His lack of shooting really hinders his creative potential. The defense plays too far off of him. It will be tough for Snyder to have him clicking with Gobert in the short term. His turnovers bothers me maybe the most.
I really dont think that's the main issue. The issue right now is that he isn't a threat when he drives. Needs a floater.

I really dont think that's the main issue. The issue right now is that he isn't a threat when he drives. Needs a floater.

Adding a floater would be nice for his game, but he probably wouldn' develop it reliably in the short run. Defenses would still slack off of Rubio up high even if he could hit that shot, and that still doesn't complement Rudy enough.

I don't think Rubio is salvageable. I could be wrong.

But let's look at him realistically.

He's been playing professional ball since a teenager, was the PG for some very good Spanish national teams. He has developed his style of play as a distributor and he never focused on shooting as he had many good shooters on those teams.

Now he comes to the Jazz which don't have, or at least at this juncture, don't have the greatest offensive team. And Quin has given him the green light to shoot. The problem is that he has taken it too literally and has been playing out of his comfort zone. He has to stop forcing shots, dribble less, and stick to being a pass-first PG, as well as focus on the defensive end. If he can do this, then I think he'll be an asset.

The trouble is that he has two young guys on this team who are better than him -- if Dante can return and stay healthy.

I think it's best both for him and the Jazz that they move him for assets.

This is how I feel. I did not expect him to shoot that well. I was really hoping to see great ball handling and passing from him. He makes some good passes but he has really bad turnovers. He often does no look passes to the other team or jumps and has no where to go and throws the ball away. His decision making isnt great in general but I think some of that is due to a new system and it will improve but some of it just how he plays.

Im still hopeful he can improve and fit in but for now he is a bench player to us. He cant start anymore or play big minutes unless he is really playing well. Make him earn his role on the team. We should start Mitchell at the 1 and probably start Hood again at the 2 or maybe give Burks a chance if they want to keep Hood coming off the bench. I still am hopeful that Exum will take over any role that we have for Rubio, so he just needs to keep the seat warm unless they get a trade offer for Rubio.

I still am hopeful that Exum will take over any role that we have for Rubio, so he just needs to keep the seat warm unless they get a trade offer for Rubio.
IF Exum returns. Didn't DL express his concerns during extension talks about Utah's ability to keep Hood and/or Exum? To me that says both players want a lot more than what Utah is willing to offer. I think DL will tell both of them to do the Hayward thing - i.e. go out and shop the market, see if any teams are willing to give them big offers. Sure, there aren't a lot of teams with major cap space, but all it takes is just one team.

IF Exum returns. Didn't DL express his concerns during extension talks about Utah's ability to keep Hood and/or Exum? To me that says both players want a lot more than what Utah is willing to offer. I think DL will tell both of them to do the Hayward thing - i.e. go out and shop the market, see if any teams are willing to give them big offers. Sure, there aren't a lot of teams with major cap space, but all it takes is just one team.
I have not heard that expressed. Every time I have heard him talk he sounds like he feels they are both apart of the future and have big upsides. But I could have missed that comment. Unless a really good trade comes along I am sure we will keep them and I am sure we will match any offer for them.

I have not heard that expressed. Every time I have heard him talk he sounds like he feels they are both apart of the future and have big upsides. But I could have missed that comment. Unless a really good trade comes along I am sure we will keep them and I am sure we will match any offer for them.
Thought I had read something, but maybe it was just referring to extensions. In any case, I think there are limits that DL has established which he won't cross. I'm sure Rodney's camp is going to cite the Otto Porter contract as a comp. Ridiculous that Porter got nearly $27M/per. But that's the state of the league. i doubt the Jazz go north of $20M for Hood. Exum? Who knows. Maybe Dante and his agent agree on a short-term deal so Dante can rebuild his value. Perhaps a deal that lets him opt out in 3 years.

Maybe the best scenario for Utah is to have either agree to 4yr deals at slightly over what any of us consider "fair." Utah can then match just as they did with Millsap. Or just let both go and convince Paul George to leave the OKC madness, shun Lebron and LA and come to Utah.

Thought I had read something, but maybe it was just referring to extensions. In any case, I think there are limits that DL has established which he won't cross. I'm sure Rodney's camp is going to cite the Otto Porter contract as a comp. Ridiculous that Porter got nearly $27M/per. But that's the state of the league. i doubt the Jazz go north of $20M for Hood. Exum? Who knows. Maybe Dante and his agent agree on a short-term deal so Dante can rebuild his value. Perhaps a deal that lets him opt out in 3 years.

Maybe the best scenario for Utah is to have either agree to 4yr deals at slightly over what any of us consider "fair." Utah can then match just as they did with Millsap. Or just let both go and convince Paul George to leave the OKC madness, shun Lebron and LA and come to Utah.

With Dante in particular I think this should be the idea. His number won't be as high as Hood's most likely, so the risk isn't that great. Make sure he signs for 4 years so you don't end up losing what will likely be his most productive year at the end. Make a small concession in price for him to show that he is part of the future plans. I'm not sure what that number is exactly. Don't let other teams offer bad terms and annoy the player. With Hood it kind of depends on how big the deal is. I could see him getting some massive offer that would be illogical to match. Anything approaching a max would leave me wanting to pass. Robert Covington's deal would be one that I would look at as the most I would be comfortable with assuming Hood continues to play well and stays relatively healthy.