Quotes from Knicks (II) - "3 unprotected 1sts and 2 pick swaps + more… goddamn"

JazzAvenues

2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
Not going to lie, this stings.

Wonder if Grimes + 3 unprotected picks was ever on the table.

the unprotected firsts are 2025, 2027, and 2029. That’s absolutely insane.

So they got robbed big time over there.

5 picks + Sexton who isn’t much worse than DM.

Utah ****ed up, Cavs are going to be ****in terrifying in a couple of years with Garland and Mobley already heading towards stardom. I don’t see the swaps being worth **** and I doubt the picks are going to be much as well.

That’s what the Jazz are banking on and why the unrestricted first rounders start so late. They’re betting the stars won’t want to stay in Cleveland.

Sexton + Markannen + 14th Pick + 3 Unprotected Firsts is a haul

Let’s just let the fact our big 3 is RJ, Brunson and Randle sink in now Everyone was talking about we’re the only trade partner now look

Ok, I'm fine with us not beating that, but the front office better do something with some of these guys cuz this roster construction is a mess.

Well, Ive said since the beginning Ill judge this FO when they cash in on the picks, so until then this **** looks bleak, mid af

You forgot the trade detail where I get the depression of 100 people

Cleveland got fleeced! Or did they

Yeeeeaaaah I’m glad we didn’t do this. Don’t blame Ainge for taking that, THRILLED we didn’t try to beat it.

Banking on future picks not being good because teams are good right now is stupid. Look at the Nets/Celtics trade and Nets/Harden trade. Things change too fast in the NBA to forecast beyond the next few months. Very glad we didn't mortgage the future on this

Is Mitchell staying in Cleveland? They can’t make another pick until 2031? We weren’t in the cavs position either. Thirsty af. Let rationale sit in, you guys are going to be impossible to converse with for a few hours/days

The swaps are in 4 and 6 years. All their current player contracts will be up then so we have no idea how Cleveland will look then.

Anyone that thinks Donovan Mitchell (who is a nice player, don’t get me wrong) is worth 3 unprotecteds, a first rounder from this draft, 2 Swaps, Collin Sexton, and also Markannan

is out of their minds. and we would need to beat that package.

Happily pass on that. We only had to give up dollars for Brunson. Cavs are much closer to making a run than we are. And if this chemistry doesn’t work out for them they are ****ed for a good few years. We all know this team isn’t close enough to take a risk like that.

Some of y’all are seriously determined to crawl through broken glass for a crumb of relevance. Again.

They can make that move, they've got Garland, Allen and Mobley as solid pieces already. They might be an ECF sleeper now.

EDIT: We're also not talking about the pick years. 25/27/29. We'd want to move 23s instead so we have more ability to move picks down the line.

Kinda torn. We totally could’ve beaten that. But that’s a loooot of assets. I don’t mind playing the long game; stars are always on the move in the NBA. As long as there is positive growth this year, this should be fine. Would be nice to bring a star in here soon though.

What would it have taken? Utah probably had no interest in our heavily protected FRPs. 3 picks, 2 swaps, Quickley, Toppin, Grimes? Cavs paid more than the Knicks were willing. Sucks because the Cavs looks damn good.

The most important thing here is that while the deal that he ended up getting was pretty similar to the one we were offering, the deal doesn't really take too much away from the Cavaliers current roster and their future plans the way that the trade would have completely gutted our bench and young talent.

This trade is the best scenario for all three teams involved. I know some fans on this sub will be salty but it really is the best scenario for us too. The move really makes me feel even MORE confident about Leon Rose's prudence and ability to stand his ground.

****, man… i wanted donovan so bad

are the swaps actually worth anything? it’s hard to believe that the cavs will be worse than utah anytime soon

I wish we got him but thank god it’s over

All summer Ainge's asking price was 8 FRP's, at least three talented young players, and the rights to our first born children and THIS is what he accepts from Cleveland. I ****ing hate this man lol

they got sexton, AND more picks than what we offered. This definitely beat our offer.

I don’t understand this logic. Yes Danny’s demands were high but at the same time, Knicks fans wanted to underplay (or maybe overplay current Knick players) value and scream that they shouldn’t trade any of the following; RJ, Grimes, IQ, Miles, Obi, and more than 2 draft picks for an All Star player.

At that point what package would be enticing? Danny has to trade Donovan but there are a plethora of teams more than willing to give up more talented players for Donovan’s service.

This is 3, plus two borderline starters and a nice rookie, plus swaps.

its '25, 27, 29 unprotected, and 26 and 28 pick swaps

That’s Ainge being spiteful bro

Good thing we kept our picks so we can draft busts and average role players with them.

Ainge wants to bottom out and have a clear cap sheet to take on more bad contracts + picks in future seasons. There was the report that picks were more important than players and it seems that was true. We didn't want Ainge to control our pick until 2028 and that's fine by me.

Hell the last team that allowed Ainge to do that build a championship caliber team in the Celtics. I am absolutely okay with not dealing with that BS. Guy reeks of used car salesman vibes.

Anytime a chance for a big move has presented itself, Leon has passed up on it. I’m not upset about not getting Spida but cmon now at some you gotta make a move

Hilarious man. Leverage leverage leverage right. Another embarrassing day for this franchise

and they just extended sexton. That's a huge haul. We couldn't have beaten this offer

3 unprotected picks and 2 swaps would have gutted us. Now we continue on with the plan. I love donovan mitchell, but he's not a player like Durant that would have immediately put us in contention. Let's all breathe a sigh of relief.

Ainge lives for the fleece

And he got what he wanted

Welp

The marathon continues

Still, he went at 14 in the first round. And Sexton and Markkanen averaged 15-16 PPG. Throw in three unprotected first round picks and I would kill myself if the Knicks ever did anything similar. ****, after Bargnani I never ever want to give up picks again.

Donnie learning the hard way why you gotta just be an ******* and say I wanna go to the Knicks and only the Knicks lmao. Imagine thinking you going home to NYC and you get packed out to Cleveland man pray for my boy

Trading with Ainge is never a good idea. I know we all hate him but obviously holding out for a huge haul works for him and he does it every time.

Glad we aren't the ones giving it up.

**** Ainge forever and always

I’m not upset we didn’t get him I’m just shocked

Stephen A. And ESPN are about to eat

"You ever heard people say they go to Cleveland on vacation? " lol

Getting clowned on for not getting Mitchell, and yet we would’ve gotten equally clowned on if we gave up this kind of package for him. How a team that’s been ******* for twenty years gets hate on this much is mind boggling.

Thank God. We didn't cave. Too much to give. Watch the entire world critique us for not doing so including our own fans. I wasn't willing to risk selling the farm and leveraging our future for someone who wasn't as good as Melo when he joined and someone who doesn't move the needle as a contender for us.

Props to the front office for being committed to the 10th seed

You know what you'll never hear is that Garland and Mitchell together is a terrible small guard combo but if he came here that's all you'd hear on espn.

They really sent that man to Cleveland Ohio. Ainge must really hate Spida.

I thought forsure it was going to get done. Unreal man…

3 unprotected 1sts and 2 pick swaps + more… goddamn

They gonna be waiting awhile for them picks. Sit tight Utah

CLE gave a better offer. With or without DM, we are a lottery team. I’m good with not giving into Ainge’s demands. Now we have to hope we get lottery luck and get a better pick than the jazz to stick it to the jazz

The Cavs have the team we WISH we had. ACTUAL future All Stars, current young All Stars, and legit playoff talent. We're like the Waluigi version of Cleveland.

That old bitter ****ing loser piece of **** ainge took less from the cavs because he couldn’t fleece us, rot in hell you old bitch

Now that's what I call WOJ BOMB

Damn the cavs have a ****ing squad now

Kick ****ing rocks Ainge.

From an outsider perspective, this is a fair deal for the Cavs, but not the Knicks if they Knicks did it. Cavs have a proven young core, so these 3 future picks are not great. CS, LM, and OA are also not crucial to their team. But the Knicks can’t really be giving up their young cores (bc they are crucial), and also the team itself as it is unproven (we’ve yet to see Brunson play on the Knicks).

And Mitchell is a helluva player, yeah, but Cleveland just gutted their roster for him. He gets hurt, they are ****ED.

Cleveland? Damn, did Mitchell hook up with Ainges' wife. Cold-blooded.

I really liked Mitchell for the right price, not mad we didn’t outbid this package.

Fans and the media would've had their tiki torches out if Leon Rose made this deal as well. It's a popular thing to pile on the Knicks, f*ck em. I'm glad they didn't make that trade. Let's keep rewarding the young guys and build the right way.

If this was over just that one extra unprotected pick, that would be a little disheartening

He gonna hate it there and request a trade in 6 months dw lol

Yeah cause Cleveland is so much worse than Salt Lake City lol

i wanted donovan mitchell so bad i’m just salty rn but i get why they didn’t trade for him danny ainge is a clown

Well that ****ing sucks. Back to mediocrity.

I would take mediocrity over whatever the **** we have been.

**** Danny Ainge we literally offered a better package than that

Lesson for Leon - if you are going to keep trading lottery picks - you have to do better on the protections. Top 16, Top 18 - pretty much aren’t that attractive.

Honestly, I'm disappointed. It feels like the KD/Irving to Knicks all over again. The media loves to create narratives around the Knicks, only to expand on the lolknicks arc. Guys, be honest with yourselves. Stop saying ******** like "thank God", we had the chance to land a young star not even in his prime yet.

PAIN.

Not sure why ppl are celebrating this, Mitchell would have been the best player to play in a Knicks uniform since Carmelo. For everybody saying there will be other players how has free agency/drafting worked out for us in the past 10 years lol

For ****ing nothing too. That c***y, slimy **** Ainge wanted to gut our team for Mitchell and he hands him to Cleveland for dick. What a joke.

Lol **** Ainge. Literally took a lesser package because he didn’t want to be “fleeced by the Knicks.”

Such a huge mistake to not trade for him. Gonna regret that for a while I bet. Now he’s gonna ball out in the same conference lol

Sigh, nothing can go right for the Knicks

Who were we offering that was better than Collin Sexton (signed to a 4 year $72 million new deal) and Lauri Markkanen? Plus, Cleveland is trading the No. 14 pick from this year's draft (Ochai Agbaji).

This is a huge L for Rose. I'm pretty sure he gave up this year's draft pick because he was sure the Knicks could Mitch.

This one definitely hurts. But nothing can be done, on surface level. The Cavs package looks way better than what NY could've offered anyway.

Just hate the way Stephen A and the media are going to spin this into "LOL Knicks" takes

how?

Ah, disappointment my old friend

the media about to be so BRUTAL bro

ITS FINALLY OVER THANK GOD

Shams: The Cleveland Cavaliers are trading Collin Sexton, Lauri Markkanen, Ochai Agbaji, three first-round picks and two pick swaps to the Utah Jazz for Donovan Mitchell.

Hell of a haul. They do have the front court size though.

Happy it’s over and we get to keep our unproven but talented guys and picks for a superstar…also **** ainge

they ****ed us

Damn yo. Honestly it makes sense. 3 unprotected firsts is a way more sensible call for Cleveland than for us, given how they were closer to contention anyway. Good for them getting their dude. Good for us not overpaying for a guy who isn't good enough to be our dude.

Might as well take on Russ' money for some 1st rounders from the Lakers because this team is going nowhere this year.

Somehow I was 99% sure that Mitchell was going to end being a Knick so you can color me surprised, the only thing I was hoping was that we where not going to give too much... and then this!

38-40 win season incoming. Yay.

Guess NY really didn’t have all the leverage they thought they did.

I’m sorry but I’m ****ing pissed. This was the best chance we’ve had to acquire a star and now it’s gone.

Can we officially say **** Jake Fisher? Clown was reporting an imminent Knick deal yesterday, for the umpteenth time.

Thank ****ing god. Cle overpaid, but somehow it’s still lolknicks

people overvalue picks so hard. realistically speaking your getting, 1 bust, 3 replaceable rotation players, and one player with potential to be as good as mitchell if your lucky. if you ask me personally, i'd rather take mitchell.

I know this is good for us long term we weren’t gonna be a contender with Mitchell this year and the Cavs have a real shot being top 4, but for once I would just loved to see a star player we were rumored to get actually get traded to NY, it’s been over a decade since the Melo trade and ever since we’ve been constantly used as leverage for other teams to get star talent.

Honestly I just feel so stupid for spending so much time this summer on this. I knew a trade was gonna happen this week, but I did not expect the Cavs to be the team to get him.

Let someone else get fleeced for a volume chucker

Danny Ainge really has no soul man. This guy thought he was going back home to NYC...and he gets sent to Cleveland...I mean come on lmao

I honestly don’t see our young players amounting too anything. This is a very bad outcome for us

I’m kind of disappointed. Apparently Knicks weren’t willing to offer up that third unprotected pick. Kinda sucks that we missed out on this over an unprotected pick. So much for “nobody can beat what the Knicks are offering”.

Just go defend those incompetent morons and praise them for giving 30 millions to RJ Brickett and 25 to Jalen Midgetson. Can't wait to acquire few more second rounders next June.

This team hasn't had a star in years and they finally have the chance to get one and they **** it up. Why is Leon the agent running this organization again?

This is the worst day of my life

Embarrassing. The worst moment of the Rose tenure and it isn’t close.

I would have traded the third unprotected pick and any of the kids outside of RJ. Hell, I’d have done a fourth. You stockpile picks and young guys to move them when stars become available. Knicks still have 5 picks after moving 4 of them.

We're going to nail the 10th seed with authority and you will like it.

I feel like the rug was just pulled out from under us. Such an awful feeling.

I don’t even know who should be fired

"You forgot the trade detail where I get the depression of 100 people"

LOLOL

"Anyone that thinks Donovan Mitchell (who is a nice player, don’t get me wrong) is worth 3 unprotecteds, a first rounder from this draft, 2 Swaps, Collin Sexton, and also Markannan

is out of their minds. and we would need to beat that package."

It is a crazy package.

"Utah ****ed up, Cavs are going to be ****in terrifying in a couple of years with Garland and Mobley already heading towards stardom. I don’t see the swaps being worth **** and I doubt the picks are going to be much as well."

So this Knicks fan thinks the Knicks would have continued to suck after getting Mitchell...

"They really sent that man to Cleveland Ohio. Ainge must really hate Spida."

"Danny Ainge really has no soul man. This guy thought he was going back home to NYC...and he gets sent to Cleveland...I mean come on lmao"