Bogdanovic
O'Neale
Mitchell
Conley
Whiteside
Gay
Ingles
Clarkson

There are a few days until the next preseason game and this might be the last time we care about a lot of the other guys, so no better time to rank them:

Doke
Bolden
Paschall
Fitts
Alston
Hughes
Oni
Teague
Butler
Forrest

The 9 rotation guys are:

Gobert
Bogdanovic
O'Neale
Mitchell
Conley
Whiteside
Gay
Ingles
Clarkson

There are a few days until the next preseason game and this might be the last time we care about a lot of the other guys, so no better time to rank them:

Doke
Bolden
Paschall
Fitts
Alston
Hughes
Oni
Teague
Butler
Forrest
Butler
Paschall
Forrest

Does it really matter after that? I think the rest of the roster is full of not NBA caliber players.

Butler
Paschall
Forrest

Does it really matter after that? I think the rest of the roster is full of not NBA caliber players.

Not really, but still interested in where people think the other players stand. For me it's:

Butler

Paschall
Oni
Forrest
Hughes

Udoka
Fitts
Alston
Bolden
Teague

I realize it’s fun for us fans to speculate on this stuff as we await the start of regular season basketball but any list of rotation players that doesn’t have Jared Butler in it is invalid at this point.

I fully understand that Quin is pretty cemented in his 9 man rotation habits, but with the pre season Butler is putting together, we’re basically at the point in which if Quin actually tries to cut this kid out of the rotation
to begin the season, JZ, Ryan Smith and D-Wade are gonna have a sit down and remind him that this isn’t the Miller era Utah Jazz anymore.

Whether there’s a surprise player out of the 9 man rotation, or we actually see Quin play 10, Butler is getting some type of minutes opening night and will continue to get those minutes until his play demands more, or he somehow manages to play his way out of the rotation. Something I don’t see happening.

Butler is pretty much the only one I'm invested in making the rotation at some point. After that, IDK.

Most of these guys we've barely seen play. If I had to rank today would go Butler, Pashall, Forrest, Hughes, Oni, Teague, Dok, Fitts, Bolden, Alston. I'll probably change my ranking at the end of preseason.

I realize it’s fun for us fans to speculate on this stuff as we await the start of regular season basketball but any list of rotation players that doesn’t have Jared Butler in it is invalid at this point.

I fully understand that Quin is pretty cemented in his 9 man rotation habits, but with the pre season Butler is putting together, we’re basically at the point in which if Quin actually tries to cut this kid out of the rotation
to begin the season, JZ, Ryan Smith and D-Wade are gonna have a sit down and remind him that this isn’t the Miller era Utah Jazz anymore.

Whether there’s a surprise player out of the 9 man rotation, or we actually see Quin play 10, Butler is getting some type of minutes opening night and will continue to get those minutes until his play demands more, or he somehow manages to play his way out of the rotation. Something I don’t see happening.
Butler is by far our most promising prospect since Don. For a small market team we can't screw this up. I get that we have a tight championship contending window, but we have to make Butler's development a priority.

Luckily, based on what we are seeing, Butler should both help us with load management for our aging players as well as develop in to our next rotation player.

Butler is by far our most promising prospect since Don. For a small market team we can't screw this up. I get that we have a tight championship contending window, but we have to make Butler's development a priority.

Luckily, based on what we are seeing, Butler should both help us with load management for our aging players as well as develop in to our next rotation player.

I think he’ll get enough playing time through load management/injuries. The whole off-season I was wanting a bigger trade because I don’t believe in this group to win it all. Bogey, Clarkson, Ingles etc are all very good players…but if we could consolidate two of those players into a better player with a more highly desired skill set that would be huge.

If Butler shows out, I think it opens the door for that type of move.

I think he’ll get enough playing time through load management/injuries. The whole off-season I was wanting a bigger trade because I don’t believe in this group to win it all. Bogey, Clarkson, Ingles etc are all very good players…but if we could consolidate two of those players into a better player with a more highly desired skill set that would be huge.

If Butler shows out, I think it opens the door for that type of move.
Every team in the league is trying to turn two nickels into a dime. We didn’t need Butler in any shape or form to be in that market.

Every team in the league is trying to turn two nickels into a dime. We didn’t need Butler in any shape or form to be in that market.

Very fair. But there was a lot of discussion about why we can’t move this guy or that guy because we need what our guy provides. If Butler looks good we have a serious surplus of primary ball handlers and scorers. If we can’t find a dime then we should at least be more comfortable trading for a different skill set.

Having Butler is going to be such a luxury. Look at what adding Clarkson did to the 2nd unit - we finally had a bench guy who could score and he helped us secure the one-seed.

Butler is not only insurance but if we want to rest Don or if Conley gets injured we don't have to dilute the 2nd string as we have what appears to be another legit scorer in Butler.

The 9 rotation guys are:

Gobert
Bogdanovic
O'Neale
Mitchell
Conley
Whiteside
Gay
Ingles
Clarkson

Doke
Bolden
Paschall
Fitts
Alston
Hughes
Oni
Teague
Butler
Forrest
Butler
Forrest
Hughes
Paschall
Oni

Butler
Forrest
Paschall
Hughes
Udoka
Oni - Super down on him

Side note... I think Doke is trending to a spot where he is unlikely to be on the roster to start next year. Not sure if they have picked up his option yet... also if Whiteside plays well enough they may offload Doke for a minimum guy (one on a 900k type min deal) or second rounder... I could also see them moving him in the summer if he doesn't show some improvement. Between all of those things I will say there is about a 50% chance he isn't on the roster next year.

It kind of sucks because I think he's a better prospect than TB and has a chance to be a rotation player... just not sure he will figure out how to play with good players unless he gets reps with the varsity squad.

Very fair. But there was a lot of discussion about why we can’t move this guy or that guy because we need what our guy provides. If Butler looks good we have a serious surplus of primary ball handlers and scorers. If we can’t find a dime then we should at least be more comfortable trading for a different skill set.
Could also look to find a nickel that is expiring and saves us many nickels going forward. We are obviously getting ahead of ourselves but its nice to have a good young prospect that is showing us some good **** immediately.

Seems like I'm higher on Oni and lower than Forrest than the consensus. I totally understand the other side of this. Forrest has looked really strong on defense and his passing out of PnR is great. Oni still can't shoot and his defense continues to be hit and miss.

I just don't think Forrest is going to be good enough on offense to stick in this league. He has skills, but they only work when he's dominating the ball and he's never going to be good enough to warrant that much ball time...but if you don't give him the ball he's going to kill your offense.

Oni can fit into lineups more easily as a low usage guy who also doesn't want to dribble. When he got time last year he didn't ruin things and that's the most important thing for these fringe players. He also gives us another bigger, more physical wing who can rebound. I don't think Royce is a great player, but we are screwed without him because he's the only guy with that skillset. I think Oni does a good job on the glass and guarding bigger players.

I feel more confident about Forrest's defense but also think he's more likely to be a detriment to other players than Oni. Oni also got a lot of flack for his defense in the playoffs, and rightfully so, but the playoffs are a huge challenge for any inexperienced player and it's not a given that Forrest excels right away in that environment either.

Trade three non-rotation guys for one rotation guy. Hughes, Udoka, Oni to Memphis for Dunn. Memphis does it because if they can’t have the most wins in the season or post-season, they may as well have the most of something.