What's new

Restructuring Favors and Hill

silesian

2022 Prediction Contest Winner
Favors: 25/26/16/16 (83 total is equivalent to 11/12/29/30)
Hill: 16/12/12 (40 total is equivalent to 8/16/16)

Jazz do this to free cap space in 2018+

Favors and Hill do it for security and more money sooner

It is really basic stuff. I can't think of one reason why this type of deal is not done for Favors. I suspect Hill and Jazz may have different views on his value, which may stop it from getting done.

Last edited:
Makes a ton of sense, but I think Favors' first year's max can be at ~23M, not at 25-26(I'm not certain about that, so if I'm mistaken please correct me).

Other than that - I love the idea and I think it makes perfect sense for both the team and the players(especially Favors).

Favors: 25/26/16/16 (83 total is equivalent to 11/12/29/30)
Hill: 16/12/12 (83 total is equivalent to 8/16/16)

Jazz do this to free cap space in 2018+

Favors and Hill do it for security and more money sooner

It is really basic stuff. I can't think of one reason why this type of deal is not done for Favors. I suspect Hill and Jazz may have different views on his value, which may stop it from getting done.
I'd be perfectly happy to see this happen after the Jazz check out free agency. Since the Jazz have Bird rights for both players, they can add a free agent (or two) and then do these extensions, plus Rudy. Every major player except Hayward is under contract through 2018.

Since the Jazz have Bird rights for both players, they can add a free agent (or two) and then do these extensions

Great point. Are you sure they can go over the cap in a restructure? I did not see anything in the CBA that directly addressed this.

Makes a ton of sense, but I think Favors' first year's max can be at ~23M, not at 25-26(I'm not certain about that, so if I'm mistaken please correct me).

Other than that - I love the idea and I think it makes perfect sense for both the team and the players(especially Favors).

That's what I had read as well

<

Thanks for the correction! Favors has been in the league 6 years so only qualifies for 25% of 94M = 23.5

So you probably go something like 23.5/ 25/ 17/ 17

<

Thanks for the correction! Favors has been in the league 6 years so only qualifies for 25% of 94M = 23.5

So you probably go something like 23.5/ 25/ 17/ 17

If we manage to restructure him like that, he will once again be one of the best contracts in the league. I really hope he's willing to do it and our FO makes it happen.

Also, another good reason to lock these guys up is that there's no telling how the next CBA will impact restructures and rookie contracts. Two areas that could shift dramatically if not grandfathered in. Do it before they opt out.

Don't we have to hit the salary floor anyways? I'm not sure how restructuring works exactly but I know if we can essentially use our cap space now to help us when it will get tight, that's a no brainer.

No brainer.
Get it done DL.
favors contract would look amazing those last two years.

Looking at the numbers... if we do this I expect two things:

1- Our remaining space to get to the floor will be spent on a guy on a one year deal.
2- AB gets traded at the deadline or next offseason.

Things will get tight with Favs, Hayward, and Gobert all getting raises.

I still like the idea, but if we sign someone we may wait a year before doing this with Favs or may pass entirely. This is why I am skeptical that we will be Very Active in free agency.

Can someone show me any examples of something like this happening? I can literally not think of a reason why something like this shouldn't happen, but I can't think of an example to go off.

Can someone show me any examples of something like this happening? I can literally not think of a reason why something like this shouldn't happen, but I can't think of an example to go off.

Gallinari and Wilson Chandler with the Nuggets.

Gallinari and Chandler. Denver last year.

I think it is rare because teams are usually near their cap.