What's new

Rondo back down to "second tier" already?

Test:

reps, they come, and then they goes, i guess, eh?:

"after being smoking hot for most of the cleveland and orlando series, rajon rondo has been all over the place in the finals. He can be careless with the ball and often makes decisions that would kill john wooden all over again, but when those behind the back bounce passes are working, he’s one of the better distributors in the league. He’s also one of the best rebounding pgs in the league (5.5 a game in the postseason) and has an improving (although still tentative) jump shot from the top of the key. There isn’t much rondo can’t do well, except for the deer in headlights look he gets when he gets to the free throw line. Next season, he’s in the discussion among the second tier of pgs after chris paul and deron williams."

https://www.opposingviews.com/i/with-1-game-left-what-have-we-learned-from-nba-playoffs

Last edited:
He is horrible shooter. He was like 6-20 at the FT line in the Finals. That's just pathetic for a PG.

He is still a step below DWill CP3 & Nash

He is horrible shooter. He was like 6-20 at the FT line in the Finals. That's just pathetic for a PG.

He is still a step below DWill CP3 & Nash

Only? People fell in love with his admittedly amazing game against the Cavs.

But he's a step below Dwill, CP3, Nash, Rose, Parker, and Westbrook. No other PG in the league would have far worse than Shaq, Ben Wallace, or Andreis Biedrins at the FT line. Nor would any PG other than many Andre Miller would have had defenders playing more than 10 feet off of him.

think about it, with Dwill, the Celtics win that game by 15 last night. Think about all those times down the court where Rondo wasn't even defended. Nash would have burned the Lakers for 30 points as if they were just playing warmups. CP3, Rose, Parker, and Westbrook, who aren't exactly sharpshooters, would have made the Lakers pay for playing the kind of disrespectful defense they were playing. Hell, I might even throw in Jameer Nelson and Chancy Billups as better than Rondo.

In the open court, Rondo is amazing. But in the half court set, he leaves a TON to be desired. He was severely exposed in this series.

Definitely not first tier. I still can't believe Magic Johnson called him the best PG in the league. Hilariously dumb.

....Rondo is overrated....and he's not even rated very highly! He makes some plays, but you can't make a good play, then come down the court the next time and make a bad play...and think you've contributed anything!

No he's not overrated. I've been watching this game a long time- that kid is a star. And I don't mean a star as in all flash and no substance- to borrow a baseball term he has "good stuff". That said he has some serious problems with his game.

Forget about shooting, did you see him around the rim? He can get there with almost the regularity of Tyreke but once he's there he doesn't know what to do. He really just flips it up with no plan for it at all from what I saw in the finals series. There are PGs with a mastery so complete around the rim and they toss up such beautiful and completely controlled tear drop shots that by design float over the finger tips of the most intimidating guys in the league- Rondo aint that guy. He really needs to work on that more than anything else as long as he has that penetration ability.

No he's not overrated....... did you see him around the rim?......but once he's there he doesn't know what to do......He really just flips it up with no plan for it at all Rondo aint that guy. He really needs to work on that .

....what do you call a guy who "doesn't know what to do".......and "just flips it up with no plan at all?"
A "hopper!" Today's NBA is LOADED with them! That's why the game has become virtually unwatchable!

....what do you call a guy who "doesn't know what to do".......and "just flips it up with no plan at all?"
A "hopper!" Today's NBA is LOADED with them! That's why the game has become virtually unwatchable!

Call him what you want, but the league is most definitely not loaded with Rajon Rondos. There isn't a player out there that doesn't have something to work on. What Rondo brings is not at all common.

No he's not overrated. I've been watching this game a long time- that kid is a star. And I don't mean a star as in all flash and no substance- to borrow a baseball term he has "good stuff". That said he has some serious problems with his game.

Forget about shooting, did you see him around the rim? He can get there with almost the regularity of Tyreke but once he's there he doesn't know what to do. He really just flips it up with no plan for it at all from what I saw in the finals series. There are PGs with a mastery so complete around the rim and they toss up such beautiful and completely controlled tear drop shots that by design float over the finger tips of the most intimidating guys in the league- Rondo aint that guy. He really needs to work on that more than anything else as long as he has that penetration ability.

You just described 99% of the NBA.

Even Ronnie Brewer was one heck of a player if you ignored his shooting.