What's new

Roster Balancing Guys

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
Seems like many think there is some roster balancing needed. Just wanted to list a handful of guys that could be available if we wanted to balance things out. The biggest target I had in mind was Marcus Smart, but it seems they are headed for an extension. Here are guys that I'd have interest in... but many likely aren't available. The thought is switching out Bojan or JC for one of these guys may change things a bit for us.

- Marcus Smart
-Kyle Anderson
-Deanthony Melton
-Alex Caruso
-Thad Young - a little duplicative with Gay imo.
-Garrett Temple -likely not trading JC or Bojan for him alone.
-Danny Green
-Derrick White and Dejounte Murray - likely not available but no idea what the plan is in SA.
-RoCo - as mentioned before... I like him but a little overrated.
-Patrick Beverly - maybe they give another guard a bigger role and he becomes available.
-Delon Wright - Great pickup by Atlanta.
-Eric Gordon - In JC's spot he makes some sense.
-Terry Rozier - Great fit next to Lamelo but maybe they worry the cost is too high to keep him around... maybe Bouknight shows he's ready now. I doubt they move him.

The Maybe Pile:

-Ricky Rubio if Cleveland flames out and he gets a buyout.
-Eric Bledsoe - Buyout candidate I think the hate has gone too far.
-Gary Harris - if bought out or if we did a salary clearing move for next year.

Who else is out there? I tried to be semi-realistic.

Good discussion. Will post more shortly but what about Kris Dunn? Heard he may be moved again.

Why not wait and see if someone lights the Summer League on fire for the Jazz or another team. There is something like 25 guys playing in Vegas over the age of 27.

Good discussion. Will post more shortly but what about Kris Dunn? Heard he may be moved again.
I'm worried on health... he's had a long injury history now... dating back to college. He should have been on the list though. He'd be one I would add to the bench not replace someone like JC or Bojan for. Could also become a buyout guy (Boston should keep him but it may be a money move).

Why not wait and see if someone lights the Summer League on fire for the Jazz or another team. There is something like 25 guys playing in Vegas over the age of 27.
That's another option. It might be reasonable and better to try and find the next Lu Dort... problem is... its a need now and we missed (probably) with Oni.

I would love to see an offer of JC for Smart. Not sure why Boston would do it unless they want the fire power coming off the bench. If I am Boston I am wanting Doke included

That's another option. It might be reasonable and better to try and find the next Lu Dort... problem is... its a need now and we missed (probably) with Oni.
I saw the Spurs have added two small forwards the past couple of days in Doug McDermott and Chandler Hutchison in other teams' salary dumps. There will be guys of that quality available in the next couple of weeks.

I think a good question is how much having more NBA players that can score on the bench opens up a window for being able to reasonably move Clarkson. We needed Clarkson to fire away because we didn't have great alternatives. It may be interesting when there are alternatives. Or maybe that opens him up more. We'll see. But the other question is how much Clarkson is valued from a locker room standpoint, so it's tough, but it's the most obvious spot. In that sense I may be more open to Smart if the offense seems competent without him. If we were replacing him with someone like Gordon I'd say no. Terry Rozier would be interesting, but you'd have to move Bojan for that and it makes us a lot smaller and makes some weird fits if you're keeping Clarkson.

Beverley I'd take without him being a replacement of any of our main guys. We need someone who can set a tone and be physically aggressive, but I don't know that I'd put him in a very defined role. I'd use him more how Lue used him in the playoffs. Sometimes you see him and sometimes you don't. I'd have to go look at his contract to see what's possible.

What's the status of Garrett Temple? Did he sign?

I'm a no on Caruso and Thad Young.

Kyle Anderson I'm probably a no. If Bojan or Ingles were injured then maybe. I don't know. Maybe he'd be a lot better in Bojan's spot with facilitating, defense, and rebounding. Would need some contract filler on their side. I think eventually we lose too much of our 3PT mojo if we continue down this road.

Rubio as a buyout is a big yes for me. I don't know that he'd be open for coming back. Maybe you sell it as all DL. But he wasn't starting last year, the Cavs suck, not sure who his other suitors would be... but he'd be a great 'heart' addition.

I'd take Bledsoe as a buyout but I can't imagine him looking at our crowded backcourt and coming here.

I’m probably higher on RoCo than most. He’s respectable as a shooter, and is pretty great on defensive rotations. Way better as a rim-protecting rotator than anyone else on our roster, and it isn’t even close.

Iirc, the advanced stats like him quite a bit on defense, on the whole.

Garrett Temple was a sign and trade to make salaries match in the five team trade. He might be a guy on the move again.

I like this thread and do hope something happens by the trade deadline to become more balanced. I think we need a rotation quality defensive gaurd/wing to feel good about our title chances. I also think Bojan could be much more valuable to a different team as an efficient second scorer vs the 3rd/4th option on our team. Our bench is in a much better place today than when JC was signed, and we should be much less dependent on him, so I think he could be a valuable trade piece.

I'm not very good at knowing who is out there or how practical any of these trades would be, but what about Dorian Finney Smith? Also, realistic isn't very fun, so I'll mention OG Anunoboy as well.

I like this thread and do hope something happens by the trade deadline to become more balanced. I think we need a rotation quality defensive gaurd/wing to feel good about our title chances. I also think Bojan could be much more valuable to a different team as an efficient second scorer vs the 3rd/4th option on our team. Our bench is in a much better place today than when JC was signed, and we should be much less dependent on him, so I think he could be a valuable trade piece.

I'm not very good at knowing who is out there or how practical any of these trades would be, but what about Dorian Finney Smith? Also, realistic isn't very fun, so I'll mention OG Anunoboy as well.

I don’t see anyway the Mavs trade DFS. They’re not exactly loaded with 3 and d guys like that. Or defensive players in general, really. And I’d love OG but that would take assets we don’t have. Unless we traded Butler, Teague (if both look strong come winter) and at least a 1st. Probably two 1sts.

Looking at Boston's depth chart Smart is their starting PG. After that, they are looking at Pritchard and Dunn and a promising rooking Madar.

I think a good question is how much having more NBA players that can score on the bench opens up a window for being able to reasonably move Clarkson. We needed Clarkson to fire away because we didn't have great alternatives. It may be interesting when there are alternatives. Or maybe that opens him up more. We'll see. But the other question is how much Clarkson is valued from a locker room standpoint, so it's tough, but it's the most obvious spot. In that sense I may be more open to Smart if the offense seems competent without him. If we were replacing him with someone like Gordon I'd say no. Terry Rozier would be interesting, but you'd have to move Bojan for that and it makes us a lot smaller and makes some weird fits if you're keeping Clarkson.

Beverley I'd take without him being a replacement of any of our main guys. We need someone who can set a tone and be physically aggressive, but I don't know that I'd put him in a very defined role. I'd use him more how Lue used him in the playoffs. Sometimes you see him and sometimes you don't. I'd have to go look at his contract to see what's possible.

What's the status of Garrett Temple? Did he sign?

I'm a no on Caruso and Thad Young.

Kyle Anderson I'm probably a no. If Bojan or Ingles were injured then maybe. I don't know. Maybe he'd be a lot better in Bojan's spot with facilitating, defense, and rebounding. Would need some contract filler on their side. I think eventually we lose too much of our 3PT mojo if we continue down this road.

Rubio as a buyout is a big yes for me. I don't know that he'd be open for coming back. Maybe you sell it as all DL. But he wasn't starting last year, the Cavs suck, not sure who his other suitors would be... but he'd be a great 'heart' addition.

I'd take Bledsoe as a buyout but I can't imagine him looking at our crowded backcourt and coming here.
The play here imo is to only do something now if its obvious... hunt around the value bargain bin of FA right now. Then wait to see if something shakes loose or to see if you need to manage an injury. At the deadline you consider less obvious pivots if everyone is healthy. That's when you look at a Kyle Anderson or Eric Gordon type of deal.

Side note on Anderson... He's very disruptive (we saw it first hand), but he also has had success on KD iirc. He's got the right type of build for that specific matchup... Not that you look that far down the road... but he likely does well against PG types as well and because he is good at getting deflections and helping he will have value defensively in any matchup.

I would do Bogey, Hughes, and two future seconds for Kyle Anderson+Melton.

Play Anderson in Bogey’s spot. Alternate Melton and Clarkson in Clarkson’s minutes. Trade Clarkson at the deadline if Melton is a hit.

A deal centered around Bogey and Anderson or Bogey and Nance are probably the only deals that really interest me at all.

I suspect strongly that nothing else is going to happen until the deadline.

I would do Bogey, Hughes, and two future seconds for Kyle Anderson+Melton.

Play Anderson in Bogey’s spot. Alternate Melton and Clarkson in Clarkson’s minutes. Trade Clarkson at the deadline if Melton is a hit.
Probably too good from our side... I'd do that as well. I just don't know what the plan is in Memphis. I think they are looking more long term right now.

They might be more likely to do Tyus Jones and Kyle Anderson for Bojan. I think they keep Melton around as he fits with their other pieces better going forward. JC straight up for Melton might be more interesting for both sides. I would do that deal.

Jazz need to ask themselves what Lauri Markkanen would look like in Quin's system. Bulls just want a FRP and filler.

He's somewhat redundant with Bojan, but Bogey could also slide to the 3. Markkanen's size enables him to play some defense and grab rebounds.

Probably too good from our side... I'd do that as well. I just don't know what the plan is in Memphis. I think they are looking more long term right now.

They might be more likely to do Tyus Jones and Kyle Anderson for Bojan. I think they keep Melton around as he fits with their other pieces better going forward. JC straight up for Melton might be more interesting for both sides. I would do that deal.
Grizz definitely in a long-term mode right now.

I'm really hoping this type of trade go through. It's not a bad thing to have too many scorers, but we desperately need more versatile players who can contribute in other ways. Bogey/Clarkson are good players, but we need that level of player who provides a different skillset.

Personally, I would focus on guys who can rotate, cover space, and play team defense over the perimeter stopper guys. Teams will hunt their preferred matchups through switches, and even elite on ball guys cannot hang with elite offensive players by themselves. LAC had multiple all-defense type perimeter defenders and they were still sending double teams on Mitchell. Same goes for PHI against Trae Young and really any matchup against an elite perimeter player. You have to double/help on these guys somehow. What matters most is how you recover and rotate back.

I think Kyle Anderson is perfect for this role. Everyone has been trying to find the next Draymond and IMO Anderson is the player who is the closest to being able to provide the same things. I love watching him play defense. He's got great length and defensive awareness which allows him to play disadvantaged situations so well. If there's a 2v3 on the weakside he'll always cover it and minimize the advantage the offense has. He's also fairly tough to score on when he's on the ball, but he's about as good as it gets in a scramble situation.

Other guys I like:

Nance
Thad
Hart (after Dec 15)

Reactions: Kar