What's new

Screw bugs, the earth just quaked

I had never been awake for any earthquake in my entire life until the small one a couple weeks ago and for whatever reason I was briefly awake this morning when it happened. Anxiously awaiting an equally anxious write up from Red detailing the implications.

I had never been awake for any earthquake in my entire life until the small one a couple weeks ago and for whatever reason I was briefly awake this morning when it happened. Anxiously awaiting an equally anxious write up from Red detailing the implications.

You've got a couple hours at least. Putting a novel together takes time bra

Lol, I felt it here in Rhode Island. It actually woke me up. The implications are dire. By this time next week, California will have finally slid into the ocean, relieving Trump from having to continually punish them for being a blue state.

Years ago, I was lying in bed, daytime, and the bed rocked back and forth for a couple of seconds. I thought it was a big truck rumbling by on the nearby main drag. Turned out to be an earthquake centered in Quebec, hundreds of miles north. The bedrock in this part of North America made it possible to make the quake felt here.

We do actually get many small ones on a regular basis, numerous faults underlie our Bay. In addition, we are part of Avalonea, which was attached to the North American plate several hundred million years ago. The fault, or suture, marking where the Avalonean volcanic island arc collided with, and attached to North America is the Bloody Bluff fault, and is still visible in eastern Ct. We also have a super volcano in the process of emerging beneath central New England, that we can begin to worry about in tens of millions of years.

But, I'm Red, so I need to start worrying now. I hope you have enjoyed this novella, and that you survive the big one. Utah is overdue.

Edit: OMG, just found out my worries were exaggerated. I swear, that has to be the first time that has ever happened in my whole freaking life. No supervolcano, maybe just a regular volcano:

https://www.iflscience.com/environm...-in-new-england-heres-whats-really-happening/

Last edited:
Stay safe fellas and make sure you got your building checked. Construction kills, not earthquake.

Not sure this is a serious thread. 3's are practically baseline intertectonic calms. Kinda like calling 1.9F something warm.

I've been in three 7s in the Philippines. A couple of 5s in St. George. We went out hiking a week later and found a practically bottomless crack more than a mile long, three inchers wide. An old lava flow bluff over the Virgin River shed hundreds of lava boulders onto the quicksand riverbottom.

If we used bamboo stilts under our houses we'd be OK.

E. G. Event 5.6 happened in Canakkale,
Turkey a few hours ago. Not a big whoop to anybody.
Lol. That’s like saying it’s the fall down the stairs that kills, not the person who pushes you on purpose
Thank you for your comment. No it’s not. My point is bad/cheap/unchecked construction is the reason people die under demolished buildings. You can build up a 16-floor building properly so it can take magnitudes of 7.5 or even higher. Cracks like the one in babe’s story are rare compared to that and causes less deaths.

Here, you can check the recorded earthquakes and see how frequent they are in the Agean. http://www.koeri.boun.edu.tr/scripts/lst0.asp

The one about Utah’s was that it was close about 3 km’s to Center. Proximity and depth of the center changes the intensity you feel these things or get affected.

Last edited:
Lol. That’s like saying it’s the fall down the stairs that kills, not the person who pushes you on purpose

If the steps are lined with sharp spikes, there might be a point there. Building in earthquake zones need to be constructed to withstand them.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/02/22/earthquakes-hit/

106 quakes in 11 days.

The big one is about to hit. Get ready.

Thanks for the link.

The article says swarms of small quakes don't necessarily either portend a large one, nor prevent a large one.

We are way overdue for some serious quakes. The Wasatch Fault has been active on cycles of hundreds of years.... and it's about time again.

Construction that is engineered to prevent collapse or failures is all we can do. Lots we can do with designs, materials. Always gonna be a quake, someday....somewhere....bigger than our abilities.

Last edited: